• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some (mostly good) stuff that's going on recently

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
So, yeah, some things that have been happening for me in the last couple of months...

I still have yet to have the, uh, gender discussion with family. So that's been a downer. But I had an abrupt realization a couple of weeks back: I'd fallen into some bad habits, and fallen OUT of some good ones. And I hadnt really realized this, because I has the dumb sometimes. These habits were mostly health related. I wasnt drinking nearly enough water (again), wasnt eating enough either, and some other things too, like just sitting in one place too long, you know, getting overly absorbed in something I'm doing, that kind of thing.

So, it was time to just make some changes. Got my thermos thing out and cleaned as for some reason it's MUCH easier to stick to a water regimen when I have that (I have no idea why). I made a dietary change, which was to add some fruit in, something that was pretty much 100% missing. Mostly applesauce and bananas right now. Every day. I'd forgotten how much I liked those. And I was surprised what a difference it made. One of my most persistent health issues (of the sort you'd not want to hear about) cleared up pretty much overnight, and just in general, I feel... so much better. Not that it's like 100% super perfect, but still, the difference is like night and day.

Also been trying to follow my therapist's advice: if I'm starting to feel down, or more importantly, feeling like an anxiety spike (or sensory overload) is starting, I gotta shift what I'm doing. She gave me the idea of doing like, a countdown from 5, and then when I hit zero, it's "DO something". Doesnt matter what. Just anything, so long as it's something that's going to occupy my mind. If it's the sort of "just turn your brain off" kind of activity, that aint gonna help, because that's still just more time to focus on whatever was getting at me. I aint exactly perfect at this, anxiety is a tough monster to fight, but still, progress is getting made there. The best thing that I can do when it's happening is to get in my car and go somewhere, or go nowhere at all, just roam around. I dont know why that is so effective, but not going to complain either.

And all of this was what I think is a very important lesson I need to take away from it: How in the heck can I expect to handle large challenges if I cant even get the fundamentals down? Gotta do that FIRST, not the other way around. I mean really, you dont just take a nosedive into the deep end of a pool when you're learning to swim, eh? That'd be silly. Took me ages to finally spot that one. Change isnt easy, and spotting the need to change ALSO isnt easy. But hey, I spotted it. Even if it took forever.

I've also been starting to, well, try to let the mask slip a bit. I came out over on Steam, recently. Not just to like, a couple of people in direct conversations. I mean, right on the activity feed. I had previously been just... you know, still hiding a lot. Trying to keep any signs of it from showing. But I just sorta abruptly went "heck with it" and stopped doing that. No, I dont know why. As soon as I started letting the name "Sophie" show (among other things I did or said), well... yeah. People noticed, right away. Which might not SOUND like a big deal, but there's like over 150 people on my friends list (because the reviews I write on Steam get noticed, I mean like REALLY noticed, so people come to me at times because of those). And anything shown on the feed can be seen by ALL of them. So that was a big step. Same with stuff related to my autism-related traits. Just... ya know what, it's Steam, I'm just going to let the mask fall lower with THAT too. Everyone's been super nice about all of these things. I have a therapist appointment today, I really need to remember to mention that.

In other news, a very unexpected thing has been ongoing that I havent talked about yet. All that art stuff, right? A few months back my stepmother had the idea of making cards out of it. Like the sort you'd buy in a store. There's a lot of smaller shops of all sorts in this region, and she wanted to see if maybe she could get some of them selling at one of them. Seemed a silly idea to me... who the heck would buy the stupid things? But it gave her something to do, which is important since she's been having a rough time over this last year (her mom passed away earlier in the year, she was like 93). So I'm like, sure, whatever, go ahead. I didnt think it would ACTUALLY go anywhere.

Yeah, well, it went somewhere. One of the stores accepted the deal and set up this... stand thingie. Which is just featuring the stuff I've made, card packs for sale. This was just... baffling. It's STILL baffling. I havent directly seen it myself, the store is in an area I'm somehow not yet familiar with, but still, it's there. So... that's a bit of a confidence boost, sorta. Kinda. I still tend to have the "you all hate this, dont you, stop lying" view of my stuff, which apparently isnt exactly uncommon among artists in general. And the stand itself, well... ehhh. The bit that bothers me to no end is that they put my given name on that. I dont think I need to explain at this point why that bothers me. And I cant just tell them to put "Sophie" there instead, because... arrrgh. Because argh. That's why. Bah.

But still, that's something interesting that happened. Though I still tend to have a lot of trouble coming up with ideas of just WHAT to draw, whenever it's time to do art stuff. I'm running with the heart motif through all of it though, that's become like my thing with stuff I make. So there's that, it's good to have a theme.

So... yeah, that's all of that stuff. Why am I posting this? I dunno. I think sometimes it can be helpful to sorta just tell people about the good stuff from time to time. Like, reinforcing it? Felt like doing it, so I did it, there ya go.

Why am I posting this? I dunno. I think sometimes it can be helpful to sorta just tell people about the good stuff from time to time. Like, reinforcing it?
Yeah something like that. I sometimes feel I want to write about stuff that's going on. But then I don't because I wonder why I'm doing it. But I think you're right, helpful to write it out, helps me sort things out in my mind, and telling others reinforces it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing @Misery it is helpful to read, I have seen my child go through some of the things you are writing about, including the hard part with telling the family... well the other parent and that part of the family - I was not really surprised when she told me, I had seen her grow up, and yeah, lets say the thought had crossed my mind before - but it is giving me insight to read about it from you.

The art stuff is cool - except the name thingy - but making art that others want to buy is a big thing in my eyes, that made me happy to read about :)

but making art that others want to buy is a big thing in my eyes

Yeah, it is for me as well. I mean, half the reason I make things at all is to give others something to enjoy. I mean sometimes I draw just "for me", that sort of thing (which usually isnt really shown off to anyone) but much of it is like, yeah, it's meant for others.

The big challenge I run into really is just figuring out what the heck to make. Like, right now, what I've been asked to do is designs that go well with Valentine's day, since that is upcoming. Okay, sure, just... even more hearts, I can do that. But I cant just do that over and over and over all the time. A "motif" isnt supposed to be the ONLY thing I do. Same with flowers and plants, drawing those is great and all, but there's gotta be more ideas to do.

I dont know if this is an autism trait, but when making stuff, or when choosing from a pile of things, I really do tend to get "stuck" on like, the same couple of ideas/choices over and over again unless someone specifically gives me a new idea (that I'm capable of making/doing). I really must work on that.

Yeah, it is for me as well. I mean, half the reason I make things at all is to give others something to enjoy. I mean sometimes I draw just "for me", that sort of thing (which usually isnt really shown off to anyone) but much of it is like, yeah, it's meant for others.
That is a treasure to have that ability - to create things that others enjoy! Is there somewhere you share examples of it on this site?
The big challenge I run into really is just figuring out what the heck to make. Like, right now, what I've been asked to do is designs that go well with Valentine's day, since that is upcoming. Okay, sure, just... even more hearts, I can do that. But I cant just do that over and over and over all the time. A "motif" isnt supposed to be the ONLY thing I do. Same with flowers and plants, drawing those is great and all, but there's gotta be more ideas to do.
I'm sure there are, where are you usually finding inspiration?
I dont know if this is an autism trait, but when making stuff, or when choosing from a pile of things, I really do tend to get "stuck" on like, the same couple of ideas/choices over and over again unless someone specifically gives me a new idea (that I'm capable of making/doing). I really must work on that.
I don't know if it is an autism trait, it might be like a form of the repetitive trait?

It's really cool that you are making changes for the better! and it’s especially cool that people paid attention to your cards, can you imagine that someone will give them to each other for a holiday and experience joy? perhaps it will even be kept for many years (because I keep everything that was given to me).

I understand that your name on that store is causing concern, I have similar feelings with my photos, I would be worried if there was a photo of me or information about me somewhere, but I understand that there is really no need to worry about it. and I would like to tell you not to worry about it because it's just a name, just letters, people don't care about it and they never think about your name after they see it

That is a treasure to have that ability - to create things that others enjoy! Is there somewhere you share examples of it on this site?

I do have examples of art I've made on the site here!

This is the best thing I've made so far, in my opinion, certainly the thing I'm most proud of:

9Ebg1C4.jpg

That one's not on a card, it's just my favorite. This took about 5 million years to make. I'm self-taught and frankly have no idea what I'm doing, so my methods are dirt-slow compared to the ways a more experienced artist might make things. My output is also very chaotic. Sometimes it looks nice enough. Other times it looks like a child's scribbles. Depends on what I'm trying to draw/paint.

This thread has some other stuff I already posted here (some of which were used in cards), just scroll down a bit to see my post:

The most recent thing I made is this:

JSend.jpg

It's not a drawing, the best way to describe it is "it's made of dust". For digital art, I primarily create fractals and similar things. This did get made into a card, though I'm not quite sure why (not my idea as to what gets made into cards and what doesnt). If you'd care to see the fractals, they can be found here, there's over 100 of them: https://www.deviantart.com/scrapfractals/gallery

Lastly, this, I was really happy with this:

IMG_1828 (1).png

Most stuff I make is physical though, not digital. What I actually specialize in is brush lettering, I've got books about that and everything. But I dont have examples of that on here.

I'm sure there are, where are you usually finding inspiration?

Well, the original inspiration for doing any of this whatsoever was a series on Youtube called The Walten Files. The guy who makes it, Martin Walls, has such a gloriously strange artstyle that he uses. Prior to finding that series, I'd mostly just gotten frustrated with art as I'd never really been able to do any of the common styles I often see people do. But Martin's style is so off the wall bonkers... he clearly went "heck with it, I'm doing this MY way" and just ran with it rather than mimicking any common style. All of his art is like that. And people loved it, that series is very popular.

I figured, if he can do that, I could do the same. Heck with trying to learn/mimic an already existing style, I'm just going to try things and do it however I feel like doing it (and this is why my output is all over the place). This is also where I got the name Sophie, as that's the name of the main character in The Walten Files. Since I'd gotten so very much inspiration from that, and Martin's other stuff... and also I just like that name... I took that for myself.

As for more specific inspirations, the flowers/plants specifically, I make those a lot simply because I like flowers & plants. And those were popular with the family, so I kept doing them.

I dont know where the hearts came from. I just started doing that and the motif stuck.

Attachments

• how.jpg
    how.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 16
Why am I posting this? I dunno. I think sometimes it can be helpful to sorta just tell people about the good stuff from time to time. Like, reinforcing it? Felt like doing it, so I did it, there ya go.
I think it's really wonderful to hear some of the good stuff and any progress that people have made or feel proud of. Autistic life is not only about negativity, and I think it's really important to also highlight areas of strength, challenges overcome, and simple joy.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear such a positive tone.

I understand that your name on that store is causing concern, I have similar feelings with my photos, I would be worried if there was a photo of me or information about me somewhere, but I understand that there is really no need to worry about it. and I would like to tell you not to worry about it because it's just a name, just letters, people don't care about it and they never think about your name after they see it

Ah, it's not really a matter of security or anything. I am... well protected, I'll put it that way.

No, the issue with the name is, uh... to be very blunt about it, I'm transgender. Which does mean I hate being referred to by my given name, and as such I DEFINITELY didnt want it on the bloody card stand. But as I havent come out to family about that yet, well... yeah, I had to just let them put my given name on it instead of the name I actually want. I know it wont register with most people who buy the cards, but... just the fact of it being there, that feels bad.

I think it's really wonderful to hear some of the good stuff and any progress that people have made or feel proud of. Autistic life is not only about negativity, and I think it's really important to also highlight areas of strength, challenges overcome, and simple joy.

Yeah, I agree.

I really hope that more people who are on the spectrum can have some better experiences more often, and the feelings that goes along with that.

Though I recognize that it can be really difficult at times.

I do have examples of art I've made on the site here!

This is the best thing I've made so far, in my opinion, certainly the thing I'm most proud of:

View attachment 123248
Wauw, I really like that picture - the way you have captured, that facial expression, its like it is telling a story, that girl (I see the pointy ears, but I don't know what other word to use) seem to have gone through a lot, and still there is hope in her eyes - that is making me think and reflect on life... the ability to create something that makes other do that is one of the most important parts of art in my book!
That one's not on a card, it's just my favorite. This took about 5 million years to make. I'm self-taught and frankly have no idea what I'm doing, so my methods are dirt-slow compared to the ways a more experienced artist might make things. My output is also very chaotic. Sometimes it looks nice enough. Other times it looks like a child's scribbles. Depends on what I'm trying to draw/paint.
I think speed comes with experience in most trades, sounds like you are experimenting and learning, which is good to hear.

In your post there was like one picture that wasn't expanded in the message - like with some red eyes, and hands grabbing for a heart - I really like that one too, it is making me think.

I figured, if he can do that, I could do the same. Heck with trying to learn/mimic an already existing style, I'm just going to try things and do it however I feel like doing it (and this is why my output is all over the place). This is also where I got the name Sophie, as that's the name of the main character in The Walten Files. Since I'd gotten so very much inspiration from that, and Martin's other stuff... and also I just like that name... I took that for myself.
That has been one of my biggest blockers when creating things, the "let go" part. Nice to hear where your name Sophie came from :)

the way you have captured, that facial expression, its like it is telling a story

Yeah, I havent really shown much else of any characters on the forums here, but aside from practicing that style more on my own... whatever that would even be called... trying to really nail facial expressions is my current focus. There's so much subtlety to it, which I keep discovering as I keep experimenting.

That particular girl (I've named her Iris) will probably always be like the main character I use in things I make, since she was the first, but I do have another that I'm working on (very slowly, character design is really difficult, it turns out).

In your post there was like one picture that wasn't expanded in the message - like with some red eyes, and hands grabbing for a heart - I really like that one too, it is making me think.

Oh, I'd forgotten that one was there. I attached it but thought "I dunno, this one's maybe too creepy" and didnt use it in the post, didnt spot that it'd stay attached anyway.

I named that one "Anxiety and Despair". I wasnt in a very good mood at the time.

I named that one "Anxiety and Despair". I wasnt in a very good mood at the time.
Without knowing the title a saw an innocent heart that demons/evil want to take it to the dark side but they can't quite catch it, so I saw hope and a warning about being careful - but that is what art is about, each person getting something different out of it :)

Last edited:
what about telling your aunt you want to use a "pen name" for your art. Like: Sophie, for example. You could say that cards with hearts are more likely to be purchased if the artist is a woman. Thereby dodging your family notification.
Just a take it or leave it idea that popped into my head.

New Threads

Top Bottom