• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Socializing classes - are they worth doing?

Kempy

I have recently had a very bad time at college. A lot had been going wrong and it all came to a head, and I got myself into trouble. I am trying to make a film and I have struggled to find reliable people to help. Somebody suggested that I go to some classes aimed at people with Aspergers so that I can get some people skills.
Although I've not told my parents, I really feel like I need to go to a class on very basic social skills. I struggle in the simplest of social situations and I am petrified of getting on buses because I don't know what I'm supposed to say to the bus driver .etc.

Does anyone know if these classes are worth doing, or whether they are a waste of time?

I've never done socializing classes before but I would say for you to give it a go.

There's no harm in trying and if you find it a waste of time then just stop going.

I tried to go to the ones my college does but you had to be officially diagnosed with autism or aspergers it said as it was a thing for them>_<

There's nothing like that at my college. If there was, I probably would have done it ages ago.

Well my parents laugh and are bewildered by the so-called classes --- they said those classes rip their money off. If it's helpful, and I got the money, I'll just go for the classes!

If you're not sure and you have the money, it's probably worth going once or twice to see what it's like.
As Calvert said, you can always stop going, and you never know unless you try! Alternatly, if you find one and get in touch with the person wh runs it, you might be able to go to one for free to see if it's for you (If you ask nicely) that way you don't waste money either :)

New Threads

Top Bottom