• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social stories for kids or adults

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
Have anybody used social stories as a part of their therapy as kids or adults? What do you think about social stories? Have you ever seen social stories for adults?

Clarify? Do you mean those afternoon-special kinds of stories where the little dog didn't share his toys so he was ostracized and rejected by the community until he gave them all of his stuff?

It's a story when a situation is taken as an example, you can talk about how a situation may develop and how a person could behave or what he/she could or should focus on. I can give you an example. I made a social story for my son about one weekend and what we were going to do. Here a few sentences examples. It is your brother's birthday today. In the morning you wake up, brush your teeth etc etc. Then I put in positive things to focus on: You will be bowling at the party (this wasn't exact sentence, that's just what it was about), bowling is fun. It helped him tremendously. Some people benefit from pictures . For my son I built all sentences out of pictures. those stories are meant to help with challenging situations a person may encounter, so he or she had a sort of scenario in their mind of how it could go, or that situation could be fun not negative. I'm wondering if anybody have seen stories like that for adults.

I'm hoping more people visit this thread. I wanted to ask what kind of situations folks here would find challenging and, potentially, read a social story about? I would probably want... hmm... here a few examples: interacting with a cashier; small talk at a party with people I don't know; introducing myself; have a conversation about my consents without becoming distracted or overwhelmed; how to recognize when I'm overwhelmed. .. those are just a few...

All the mundane stuff I personally can handle, except what to do about people who keep touching me and pulling my hair.

New Threads

Top Bottom