• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social networking

I have Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, and Google+. I'm most active on Facebook and Twitter. I use Facebook to play games and post status updates. I use Twitter to follow local sports teams, follow some of my favorite shows (including American Idol and The Voice), and tweet my personal thoughts. I keep both my Facebook and Twitter pages public. I initially started with having them on private, but I decided that wasn't the way to go for me. I have over 170 Facebook friends and over 2,500 Twitter followers.

I probably would've ended up getting one of my own eventually, but I was also forced into the social network. I didn't use it for about a year and then became obbsessed.

I really don't want it anymore though. Recently it's just been a reminder of my failing social life, made me aware that my so called "friends" dont want anything to do with me, and makes me feel insecure about where I'm at in my life compared to others. I also get a front row seat to everyone my age being generally irresponsible and despicable. It enrages me. I'm sick of feeling like this. If I didn't have family on the other side of the country I would've already deleted it.

I don't see the use in social networking instead of maybe reconnecting with old friends and family, but I don't trust Facebook due to them selling your information and their crappy terms of condition. I do not want to use my real name online and hate when Youtube, Gmail and Facebook tries to make you do so.

Too bad Facebook is popular and everyone's a slave to it like they are to the other copy cat social networks ...

I find it really good for talking to my friends, given that I am usually very shy and quiet around them at school.
I don't really do much else on it, aside from seeing news on new games and stuff going on.
Ah facebook, thanks for letting me keep up with my interests. :p
I ignore most friends and family's facebook game requests, seeing as I got my playstation.

I don't understand twitter though. Hashtags and only being able to write short messages. What the? :p

I don't understand twitter though. Hashtags and only being able to write short messages. What the? :p
Oh my how I agree with you. I have tried so many times to understand twitter. I can only put up with so much pointless social interaction in my life. The popularity of twitter dumbfounds me. It's just one more outlet for people to post the same information over and over and get in pointless fights about trying to sway another's opinion. Just. I do not get the point.

Twitter confuses me, even though I quite recently signed up for an account.

It's a sad day when tech support for my ISP uses twitter for questions rather than being able to call them (on holidays at least). I cannot explain my tech issues in 140 characters! (so eventually it ended up in a tweet and then private messages through them and tech support for 3 days; at where they told me "If the issue still arises by tomorrow, you can call us, since the holidays are over" AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!)

That said, it's the only reason I have this account. I haven't tweeted anything that had nothing to do with tech support related issues and I most likely never will. I ended up with this thing out of necessity

I had a myspace a decade or so ago, never used it, thought it was pointless. Social Networking, Twitter, googles, and hashbrowns... The point of It all makes no sense to me? Then again, I guess this website is kind of a social deal. I do understand liking to comunicate through text without all that messy social interaction stuff. . . lol

Social Networking- more like Social Not-working : )

I never have, currently am not, and never will be on social networks suck as Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and the likes. The only social network I have been a part of is Google+, and that is simply because I have a Google account for various purposes (G-Mail, logging into this site and others, Google Drive, etc.).

am a user of facebook purely because am severely communication disabled and use it to keep in contact with family [distant and near] and ex support staff who are friends.
a few of them are fellow service users on the social services intelectual disability team service users panel and activists,it turned out one of them is moving into the care home of mine and found out before everyone else thanks to facebook. :D

am actualy the founder/admin of a social network for people with intelectual disability,but thanks to getting detained last september till late january it stalled the administration.

I feel the same. I never cared having on for personal use except LinkedIn but even that did nothing for me. I did create a Facebook account to let people know new content I sharing on my website about my nature trips photos and videos but did nothing for me. Majority people who does use Facebook into things I don't care about which is why I don't care about the site. Someone social networking can be a big scam. There people will pay for likes or having friends. There people might have a very high friend count, 1000's, 10,000's of people and etc. But could they truly say they are real friends?

I use FB to keep in contact with close friends that are scattered around the world.

Interestingly I like it because it does not intrude into my home in the way visits, phonecalls and snailmail do. There's the screen and everyone is filtered through it at arms length. I can deal with that.

I also use it for contact with people involved in the games I play, via a group page.

Outside of that, I do not use any other facilities it offers.

I have a Facebook account that I stopped using when it all became a place for one-upmanship.

I have a Twitter account that I stopped using when follower numbers, stars etc became more important than content.

I hesitated a long time joining AspiesCentral because of the Likes/Trophies which I find irrelevant and irritating (if someone knows of a good argument for it please let me know), but I liked the atmosphere here, so . . . here I am :)

I probably would've ended up getting one of my own eventually, but I was also forced into the social network. I didn't use it for about a year and then became obbsessed.

I really don't want it anymore though. Recently it's just been a reminder of my failing social life, made me aware that my so called "friends" dont want anything to do with me, and makes me feel insecure about where I'm at in my life compared to others. I also get a front row seat to everyone my age being generally irresponsible and despicable. It enrages me. I'm sick of feeling like this. If I didn't have family on the other side of the country I would've already deleted it.

I was the same i went on Facebook and was reminded of my failings compared to people from school, also like you i became obsessed until it made me ill, now I've deleted it.

I miss the days when we had MSN, a simpler form of social chat.

I have really disliked Facebook since a life event of mine and I don't like the privacy settings/information they hold about me. I keep a profile because of a hand full of friends I chat to on rare occasions.

I do, however love Twitter... it's kinda an outlet that I babble into and not aimed at anyone in particular. I talk to myself (some say it's strange) and I say the same things to twitter that I do to myself, all the time.

Think it's all very overrated, not really interested in Facebook games either - banned most of them.

R.I.P. MSN

While I understand this, there are a few "risks" when it comes to having Facebook for job hunting purposes.

It would mean you'd have to craft a well thought out and desired profile a potential employer would look for. And with all the information Facebook tells about you, that's tricky. Don't have too much friends, but do have friends.. and to boot, have the right kind of friends. The things you post need to be something a potential employer would be interested in to see you as a good addition to the company and so on. If you have hobbies/interests they bear a certain stereotype that can be work to your disadvantage (and even more so if it's an ignorant employer who thinks in extreme stereotypes)

Of course, you can put your profile on private, but I've talked to people from temp agencies who said me that "shielded" profiles don't give a good impression either.

So social media by itself tend to be risky since even online you already have to act and be desirable.

Funny how this works, since having no Facebook profile is perceived as a big red flag as well.

I have been burnt by Facebook, I said something in confidence (not derogatory to the company) which was forwarded onto management of the company I worked at.

Nearly lost my job over it, disciplinary and everything.. I would HIGHLY recommend keeping your work and play lifes very, very separate.

My Twitter, although open now has no reference to my name or company I work for. My Facebook does have it but the audience is very restrictive.

My question to the general people would be, do you want to live under a microscope all the time? Thinking about everything you say..

I certainly didn't.

New Threads

Top Bottom