• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So I just lost a friend on Facebook because I commented on her area!

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Good!

She's completely mad anyway. I mean yeah OK she's Epileptic and is Bipolar and has mental health issues, but to go off on one just because I said the area of Sheffield called Parson Cross is full of Chavs/Potential Jeremy Kyle guests (same difference IMO) is ridiculous by even my standards IMHO, and she doesn't even live in PX she lives in Longley, although that area does still have an s5 post code.

Thoughts?

People seem somehow connected to the places they live, and become attached to certain aspects of their home towns. It's likely why she became upset, as you disparaged a place she likes and feels something about.

People seem somehow connected to the places they live, and become attached to certain aspects of their home towns. It's likely why she became upset, as you disparaged a place she likes and feels something about.

I remember how mad I got when I was living in MN, having moved there from NY state, and the people in my dad's old church were talking about "Minnesota nice" (which is a myth), and one of them looked at me and said, "New York nasty." I never forgave him.

Making such generalizations whether locally or globally won't likely endear you with much of anyone. Even if what you're saying might have a bit of truth to it. As Aspies it's no secret that we are more apt to say precisely what we think. But it's also no secret that in doing so tends to be more of a liability than a virtue. Whether we're addressing NTs or Aspies.

Being on the spectrum, our challenge in such matters lies in how much control we have in considering whether or not to filter what we say and to what extent. Similar to masking our behaviors I suppose. Where more often than not, there are social consequences for being too blunt. For a start- consider deliberately hesitating before responding to anything online or offline. And yes- for many of us this can be an excruciating "challenge". No secret there either. :eek:

Last edited:
Unfortunately most people cannot take absolute truths and believe me, I have had my share of shocked looks and quick drawn in breaths, with how tactless they preceive me.

As far as she was concerned, you were defaming her personally!

Recently I said to this woman that I felt no sadness when the attacks happened in Paris and Nice and she jumped on me ( not literally) and said in a shocked voice: how could you say that? I panicked, because I hate offending people and said: well, when I saw a reinactment of it all, my heart jumped in my mouth and I felt awful for what happened. But all she said was: well of course, how could one feel anything else?

I put it down to media sensationalising things and to be honest, these attacks are happening all over the world, but they are so insignificant that it is as those only westernised countries are important.

It is hard to use deplomacy, but that is how some nts are ie like to hide away from reality. I say: some, because how do I know that all nts behave that way lol

Oh and I have be unfriended a few times, but it amuses me and to be honest, I am "guilty" of that too, so I just move on, which certainly makes a lovely change.

New Threads

Top Bottom