• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So, I finally got tested...

My mom just inferred this was the main issue, because of how negatively I answered questions about myself compared to how my parents did. She thinks that my other issues (social, emotional, etc/) come from low self-esteem, and not Aspergers. I can assure you, my diagnostic person was very professional and did a good job of giving me my wanted results. The issue is my Mom took it as a test for every sort of condition possible, and since there were no recorded signs of Aspergers that it was impossible for me to have it. But thinking about it, they didn't formally diagnose OCD, even though the lady who tested me acknowledged I have it, even if it is on the milder side.
Phantom

Honestly, I heard I had low self esteem and lack of confidence my whole life. I was even told the way I walk or look around is because of my lack of self esteem and confidence growing up and as an adult. Fact is I do appear to have low self esteem and lack of confidence to others because I do not have the fake it abilities or rather refuse to subject myself to the pain it causes, to show my personal esteem the way that others do. I do this in a different way, my way, which is not recognizable as confident to others. But I do not have low self esteem nor lack of confidence in general. I have an extreme difficulty communicating how others wish me to which comes across as those traits. I know a lot about my personal areas of interest, but you wont find me talking to most people about them. Not because I lack esteem or confidence... simply because I have no idea how to convey the depth of my knowledge to others and in most cases I don't care to. With exception my few friends and close family who let me communicate how I like. Do you believe you have low self esteem? Do you know and enjoy the good qualities about yourself? Is recognizing negative or difficult traits about yourself really low self esteem? I personally think its the opposite. Knowing I am not good at communicating is not low self esteem its simply a fact and with the knowledge of said problem I can make my own solutions.

I never asked to be tested either, however my mum did withhold the truth from me for months. I didn't even know why I was seeing so many doctors (yes, soooooo many doctors :p). Maybe she's just waiting so it isn't too much of a shock or until she thinks you are ready. This is wrong. Good luck, we're here for you.

Hi all,

It's been a really long time since I've made a thread, and I have to say I missed it. I liked venting and having you all give advice and share similar experiences, which always helped. As those who are familiar with me may know, I've been fighting for a couple years now to get testing done, even though my parents kept on putting it off. Well, after starting High School (which was the main reason I stopped posting so often :p sooo much work) and having my school counselors be involved (since they kept on getting notified about my bad grades), they talked to my parents and suggested I do got psycho-ed testing done. I though it was going to end up the same way as it did with my therapist, getting a referral only to have my parents flake out, but for whatever reason it finally went through. Testing was all right, it was pretty long though, and my Mom was almost appalled at the questionnaire she had to fill out, since some of the questions asked if I had ever committed any sort of crime, etc. ( slighty extreme things like that). My lady who tested me was really nice, and since she specialized in autism I thought I might finally get the answer to whether or not I had Aspergers (especially since she has a daughter and is a woman, I thought she'd understand the gender differences in Aspergers). Also, the questionnaires included a lot of social questions, I thought she might get a hint, LOL.

However, I just got the results back today. I am above average tin a lot of reading/writing related areas, but my organization in general is quite poor, and my suspicions were confirmed, I am naturally predisposed to be bad at math. Apparently she is almost certain that I have dyscalculia, which – other than anxiety – was the main diagnosis that came about from this test. However, as my Mom was explaining to me, I answered very negatively about myself in comparison to how my parents asnwered about me, so she said that it was mainly a self-esteem issue, and "So it's not autism, or aspergers," even though I didn't ask about that. She then went on to ask me if I think I have Asperger's, to which I replied "Once, but not anymore." As all my friends on this website know, this is an extreme lie. I was actually shocked to hear that there was no suspicion of me being on the spectrum. After all, in my first thread I had many of you guys tell me how similar my experiences were to yours, and after interacting with so many of you I felt like we understood each other. Of course, we are not all the same by any means, but we had common issues. After taking so many online tests and reading so many articles, I really, honestly thought I had Aspergers. Is it really just my self-esteem is too low? Sure, but that can't be the only reason. Are my parents oblivious? My mom admitted that at one point she thought I had Asperger because of my social problems. I just denied it so she wouldn't freak out on me. Or was the report/diagnosis ignorant as well? After all, it's been proven that girls with Asperger's act much different to boys, and are less likely to be diagnosed. Perhaps this is the issue? Honestly, I'm not sure. But after spending so long feeling like I was in fact on the spectrum, I truly thought there was no other explanation. Can any self-diagnosed or misdiagnosed fellow Aspies possibly give me some advice? I really dont' know how to end this thread, I just thought that maybe any of you guys – well, actually, girls would be even more useful – could maybe help me make sense of this? You haven't let me down before :D

Thank you so much,
Phantom
Same happened to me. But they were rude. I have Almost Autism which means i get no help or Support. I had the dx till they changed the DSM. i had genetic testing done and i have an duplication on chrom 6. I am part of the chrom 6 project. But it is hard. Because i am verbal and can smile, people just think i am mentally ill. I fight ending it daily but so far i winning that fight

New Threads

Top Bottom