• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So, how about a book thread?

Slothra

The Space Police
Let's talk about what we're reading!

I've been reading a novel called Blindsight, a hard sci-fi novel I was drawn to by its peculiar portrayal of vampires. Here, they're presented as an "extinct apex predator offshoot" of humanity, brought back by use of gene therapy on "sociopaths and high-functioning autistics."

That aside, it's a great novel for sci-fi fans. The "aliens" raise really good questions about consciousness and free will, and the future that Watts creates is really just fascinating in a lot of ways. I'd heartily recommend it to sci-fi lovers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight_(Watts_novel)

Last edited:
Let's talk about what we're reading!

I've been reading a novel called Blindsight, a hard sci-fi novel I was drawn to by its peculiar portrayal of vampires. Here, they're presented as an "extinct apex predator offshoot" of humanity, brought back by use of gene therapy on "sociopaths and high-functioning autistics."

That aside, it's a great novel for sci-fi fans. The "aliens" raise really good questions about consciousness and free will, and the future that Watts creates is really just fascinating in a lot of ways. I'd heartily recommend it to sci-fi lovers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight_(Watts_novel)
Interesting premise.

Isn't it? And, apparently, the reason they died out, aptly named the "Crucifix Glitch" is that they just can't look at a right angle without special drugs. I kinda like really "alt vampire" stuff. But it's also one of the heaviest-hitting science fiction novels I've ever read. REALLY heavy on the sci-fi lingo. <3

Reading and portioning it out to make it last as long as possible, a collection of short stories by Alice Munro, called "Too much Happiness."

She wrote many, many, short stories and they are exquisite little works of art about everyday life, insightful and beautiful, that pretty much take my breath away. I ration myself to four pages per day, so this kind of storytelling will last a long while.

I'm currently reading this topic! :D

Seriously, I'm reading State of Decay by Terrance Dicks, a Doctor Who book featuring the 4th and arguably best of the original Doctors, Tom Baker.

Want to try and read through my Warhammer 40k Novels (The Horus Heresy, only the first 3), and need to re-read the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus books as well, same goes for Harry Potter

I love reading! My favorites so far this year have been Educated by Tara Westover and Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. ATM I'm reading The Girl Who Smiled Beads by Clemantine Wamariya.

I recently finished When Marnie Was There and have now started The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The Program by Suzanne Young. Woudn't recommend it. I'll probably finish it because I'm curious to see how it ends but the teenage angst level is really high and I don't think the writer has ever heard of the words 'empathy' or 'consent'. Also very graphic in the suicide department, not just once but quite a few times.
& Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman.

New Threads

Top Bottom