• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smelling things

_Josh_

I'm not sure if there is a thread about this somewhere, I searched and couldn't find one but I'm curious about this. I'm also not sure whether this is Aspergers's related at all or not, but again, I'm curious.

How many of you smell objects? What are your favorite scents?

I find I get urges to smell things often, and sometimes I'll even catch a scent and will wonder and seek out where the scent is coming from, almost like a dog.

Besides the random strange scents that intrigue me, I love smelling things I find pleasant, some strange some not. Examples of my strange and not so strange scent affinities are below.

Gain Fabric detergent. (I love the smell of it and can't get enough. I'll put my head into the box and get closer and closer until I suck some up my nose which burns.)

Most all bar soaps fascinate me and I can't get enough of them.

Most all shampoos are the same.

Pine sap

Rosemary

Gasoline fumes

diesel smoke

wood smoke

Oak

Spent fireworks

paper that has been run through a copy machine

The smell of a new book

Ozone from an electrical spark

Fall leaves

The smell in the air after a summer rain

My own armpits after physical exertion (The strangest I think)

I'm curious to the smells you guys have an affinity for, or even the smells that repulse you.

I love Gain detergent also.
My son goes into a store and goes to the air freshiners and sprays and smells a bunch of them and beggs me to buy him the one he wants.
He and I both love febreeze air sprys.
He loves me to put those crystals (can't think what they are called) in his laundry.
We both love incents . My favorite is called Dragons Blood.
I love pretty much any of the berry kinds and some others
I cant stand to smell Cinamon -I will get a headack from it.
I love to wear Musk oil perfume.
I also love a certain kind of Phaermone perfume.
When I have been really really in love I loved to smell his chest hair.
Just All normal stuff I guess

Tried to smell gasoline straight from the can once. Holy **** was THAT a bad experience to behold. Not only did I get it up my nose, but I smelt it so strongly that it got in my eyes.

I like to smell everything.
I tend to smell things before i touch them, or eat them.
I love the smell of the ozone right before it rains.
Wet dirt, especially the red dirt in East Texas when it rains.
Books, toys, rubber tires, exhaust from the car, gasoline, kerosene, buttered popcorn...

I'm totally with you!!

I like to smell everything.
I tend to smell things before i touch them, or eat them.
I love the smell of the ozone right before it rains.
Wet dirt, especially the red dirt in East Texas when it rains.
Books, toys, rubber tires, exhaust from the car, gasoline, kerosene, buttered popcorn...

I'm totally with you!!

:)

Ah yes, rubber tires is one of mine too, and vinyl, can't believe I forgot to mention vinyl. LOL

When I was younger I use to smell food before I ate it (Yeah, I know. Kind of weird.). Now I do like the smell of random things. I can't have to many strong smelling things in the house, because my mom hates stuff like strong perfumes. When the seasons change the air smells different (I noticed it this morning). It brings back memories kind of.

I couldn't tell you any affinity of mine, my nose doesn't work that way.

But there are things I can't stand: raw tomatoes, which smell like garbage; oranges, which just smell like burning.

I always find myself smelling my hands, often after rubbing my face. Pimply smells I actually like, as well as lots of the ones people have already listed, and the smell of things like paint and permanent markers.

I have this weird compulsion where I'll take the tip of my nose and bring it down in front of my nostrils and smell. It doesn't smell particularly good or bad, I just do it. It smells like nothing...

I also get urges to smell shampoos, soaps and scented candles (though most scented candles are much too strong for me.)

I have always been intrigued by smelling things. I love to smell herbs and spices. I absolutely love the smell of patchouli!

Then there are things I smell that are kind of weird. Like I'll be throwing out old food from the fridge and despite how awful it looks I just need to smell it. Its a strange compulsion but I just feel I need to do it. But that goes really with most things, good and bad, I just need to smell things to get more information about it haha.

I never really thought of it as an Aspie trait but there are a few smells I'm just obsessed with.

Lilac
Eucalyptus
Dog paws (that mix of grass and dirt I think)
Winter air
Pine
Irish Spring soap
Home improvement stores (Lowe's, TSC, Ace, etc) I don't know what it is but I love being in there.

There are some aerosol sprays like deodorant, or hairspray that for some reason cause me to stop breathing altogether. I refuse to inhale around them. It's not a smell thing, i think it's more of being in a cloud of toxic.

There are some aerosol sprays like deodorant, or hairspray that for some reason cause me to stop breathing altogether. I refuse to inhale around them. It's not a smell thing, i think it's more of being in a cloud of toxic.

I'm like that sometimes. Usually when someone has used way too much cologne. When you can actually feel it entering your nasal passages, it's time to cut down.

I try to stay away from smells altogether. I've noticed that I smell things other people don't notice or can't smell at all. A few years ago there was a wild fire in southern Georgia. For three days before everyone else smelled it I was searching for a house fire near by. I didn't even know that there was a large wildfire. Finally my roommate started smelling it and he heard on the radio the next day that it was the smoke from the wildfires. I can also walk into someone's home and tell them what the last thing they cooked was even if its a day later. I do have the problem when the smell is overpowering to me I find that I do stop breathing as well. Almost like my throat closes up. Happens with any thick smell like smoke or hairsprays.

New Threads

Top Bottom