• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Slowly awaiting

tjlxlh

Hello, my name is Trenton. I am new to the forum and have been in the slow process of being diagnosed as an adult at the age of 27.

My therapist and psychiatrist suggested I seek a diagnosis and are helping. They both believe I am on the spectrum. The literature they have given me has really been elightening, and has helped me communicate better.

In the mean time I am struggling, I had to drop most of my college classes due to social disparities and such, unable to drive an hour one way only to be talked down to because I can't learn like everyone else, etc.

If anyone else has had a similar situation and would please share your coping methods that would help. I feel very defeated.

On another note my special interest is motorcycles, here is mine. Pleased to find a place like this exists.

Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_145728622_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231003_145728622_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hello, my name is Trenton. I am new to the forum and have been in the slow process of being diagnosed as an adult at the age of 27.

My therapist and psychiatrist suggested I seek a diagnosis and are helping. They both believe I am on the spectrum. The literature they have given me has really been elightening, and has helped me communicate better.

In the mean time I am struggling, I had to drop most of my college classes due to social disparities and such, unable to drive an hour one way only to be talked down to because I can't learn like everyone else, etc.

If anyone else has had a similar situation and would please share your coping methods that would help. I feel very defeated.

On another note my special interest is motorcycles, here is mine. Pleased to find a place like this exists.

Thank you all
Hi Trenton. I'm not new here, but I disappeared shortly after I first joined in about 2018.

After about 4 years on a waiting list, I finally received a diagnosis of "atypical autism" literally 2 weeks ago (according to the psychologist, the DSM has now done away with the "Asperger's" diagnosis, which is what my real diagnosis was).

I can sadly relate so well to what you've written about problems in school. In my case, I tried studying art and then music at two different schools and each attempt went exactly the same way: me walking around the school in tears, getting traumatized over and over either by teacher or students due to being extremely sensitive to others' emotions and then the fact that I could not learn either, and the music teacher got frustrated with me. I also couldn't stand to be away from my home for so long.

I'm afraid I can't advise you on coping methods--my "coping method" in both cases was that I quit just before the end of the first semester. I was so misunderstood and so upset that I got so left behind in the classes--same exact experience at both schools.

Hi @tjlxlh

Welcome to the Forums
Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having at school.

Do hang around a bit and join in the conversations

Welcome to the forum Trenton, I'm Tristan. I was diagnosed at 27 as well. I also had difficulty in school and college. However, I wasn't diagnosed for years after I dropped out. I am now considering returning to college to become a counselor.

I am still working through the process myself and don't have much to recommend in terms of success in college. However, I have a list of coping methods that was shared with me during one of my contacts with a crisis service, I'll share it here.

Hope you find some good information and I'll be looking as well.

1. Take a walk

2. Paint or color by numbers—kind of mindless but also productive!

3. Listening to an audio recording of a short story and reading along at the same

time helps as a grounding activity

4. Watching nature documentaries

5. Giving myself the time to take a long hot bath and disconnect.

6. Tending a garden, planting seeds, and watching things grow!

7. Lofi music

8. Cycling

9. Burning incense

10. Blowing bubbles

11. Giving myself a facial

12. Puppy cuddles

13. Clean out or organize a thing (junk drawer, small cupboard, closet)

14. Foot and hand masks

15. Putting on dance music and having a private dance party

16. Baking

17. Video games/idle mobile games

18. 5 minutes to "see what I see" out the window

19. 5 minutes to just not see (usually means staring at the wall or ceiling)

20. Curling up next to a cat or dog

21. Opening a window for fresh air and taking deep breaths.

22. Washing my face with cool water.

23. Playing Tetris or a simple puzzle game helps the brain focus on the game just
enough to zone out from any stress

24. Listening to or playing music

25. Chatting with friends

26. Reading an interesting book

27. Put a puzzle together

28. Clean your room/closet

29.Try to do handstands, cartwheels, or backbends

30. Yoga

31. Teach your pet a new trick

32. Learn a new language

33. Move EVERYTHING in your room to a new spot

34. Get together with friends to play frisbee, soccer or basketball

35. Hug a friend or family member

36. Search online for new songs/artists

37. Make a list of goals for the week/month/year/5 years

38. Perform a random act of kindness

39. Draw

40. Rip paper into itty bitty pieces

41. Shoot hoops, kick a ball

42. Write a letter or send an email

43. Plan your dream room (colors/furniture)

44. Hug a pillow or stuffed animal

45. Make hot chocolate, a milkshake, or a smoothie

46. Play with modeling clay or Play-Doh

47. Build a pillow fort

48. Go for a nice long drive

49. Complete something you’ve been putting off

50. Draw on yourself with a marker

51. Take up a new hobby

52. Look up recipes, cook a meal

53. Look at pretty things like flowers or art

54. Talk to someone you trust

55. Set boundaries and say "no"

56. Write a note to someone you care about

57. Be assertive

58. Use humor

59. Spend time with friends and/or family

60. Serve someone in need

61. Role-play challenging situations with others

62. Encourage others

63. Make a gratitude list

64. Brainstorm solutions

65. Lower your expectations of the situation

66. Keep an inspirational quote with you

67. Be flexible

68. Write a list of goals

69. Take a class

70. Act opposite of negative feelings

71. Write a list of pros and cons for decisions

72. Reward or pamper yourself when successful

73. Write a list of strengths

74. Accept a challenge with a positive attitude

75. Look at the clouds

Hello and welcome. Nice bike! It’s great to have an interest that gets us out and about in the world.

Let us know if you need any help figuring things out here.

Not only exist. We thrive.... And one day the world will be ours! Muhu muhuhaha..

screenshot16_9.jpg

;)

Hello, it’s nice to meet you. I also had a hard time with college as well. I have to accept that I’m different and that certain things are hard for me to do. I know the struggle. Always keep going because it’s hard to pick yourself back up when you’re down. I hope you have a great time here!

Welcome! Sorry for your school difficulties. College was very difficult for me also.
mobinow.jpg

Here's my two-wheel ride. A literal motor bike.

Online classes were a way for me to be able to concentrate solely on the work. There may, unfortunately, be more actual work to do for the online class than that needed for an in-person class, but at least I had time to consider how to craft responses to questions and to focus on the work. If I'm sitting in an in-person class with all eyes turned towards me, it's much more difficult to deal with the lightning storm in my head.

If online classes aren't an option, well, I, too, dropped classes when I felt it was necessary to properly manage both the coursework and my own mental/emotional well-being. Even if you're only taking one or two classes a semester, you're still making progress towards the degree. There's nothing wrong with taking little steps: you're still going forward...

New Threads

Top Bottom