• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Site Wide Dark Mode: FireFox and Chrome Extension

Isadoorian

Welcomer of Newcomers
V.I.P Member
I saw someone mention in a completely different thread that they often can't handle the brightness of the site, and I've been meaning to try and make a post about this for a while anyways.

Last week I noticed a person in one of my other online groups post a screenshot in the Chat and their google website had Dark Mode. I knew Chrome didn't have this feature and all other Dark or Dark Mode themes available for Chrome were fruitless, so I asked them about it and they graciously presented me with the name of the extension they're using called Dark Reader.

As mentioned before, it works on basically any site, you can control where it enables at the click of a button, and has other little customization features.

Google Chrome/Chromium: Dark Reader

Firefox: Dark Reader – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

The Official Site detailing the Features: Help – Dark Reader

I was also interested in finding something to tone down the bright colors, and this extension works like a charm! On top of that, no more auto-playing videos being shoved in my face either!

I have tried it a couple times, but for some reason some page elements like images in menus etc are replaced by strange symbols.
7kTYvRR.png

OH MY GOSH! Thank you so much! This extension changes everything!

I am really sensitive to bright light. I even prefer night time because of it. This extension has made all those awful bright websites turn nice and dark.

Thank you! I grovel at your feet!

If anyone here isn't using both Dark Reader on the browser side and Flux on the PC end (or Twilight on mobile), I know what your life has been missing all this time.

(For those who seriously don't know, Dark Reader takes away the bright, white light on webpages and Flux takes away the blue light that disrupts circadian rhythms and also burns your eyes. Twilight is essentially the mobile version of Flux, all of these things are free and highly-tweakable so you can customize your experience)

Last edited:
Playing around with the "Dark Reader" extension does seem to improve things a bit with certain websites compared to what you can do internally in Firefox's settings. Seems to handle all the border lines better, making them much more subtle in color. Just wish they'd reduce the contrast between text and backgrounds, but that's just me. White text on a black background I find is almost as annoying as the reciprocal.

Maybe they'll improve things in the future with optional color settings. Overall it's not bad...definitely worth checking out, and far less complicated than having to change multiple settings within Firefox.

I'll have to try this with Linux if available, where the OS itself is a very attractive combination of shades of dark grey. Funny to see how old this thread is. Oh well...live and learn. :cool:

Last edited:
Added the "Dark Reader" extension to both Firefox and the "Brave" browser (a Chrome browser) and happy to report that they work exactly the same in both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20.3.

So much easier on the eyes, especially when browsing the web for hours at a time.

Ouch. Sadly I must report that in using the "Dark Reader" extension in Firefox, I ran into a major glitch that was overlapping textboxes and text of a critical website. Better known as the "Internal Revenue Service". (Using MS Windows 10). Not sure if it happens with Linux or not...but I suspect it will.

Made a mess of things until I simply turned the extension off.

Addendum:

Yeah. I went an installed "Dark Reader" on the "Brave"(Chrome) browser in Linux and it too made a mess of the forms and text formatting the IRS website. Though I have yet to encounter such problems elsewhere online. Still, I much prefer the dark format to a lighter one.

Last edited:
omg. you are today's hero. Thank you soo much. I use dark mode for everything I can. This is so restful. :) I'm super happy

New Threads

Top Bottom