• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Silent meltdown, is it possible?

Meltdown?

• Yes it's possible and yes it's a meltdown

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • It's not possible and not a meltdown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No idea

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Ame568

Sorry for posting so soon after the other one but this question has been bothering me for days. Everytime I get bit I'm always overwhelmed and upset and I cry (silently) and just shutdown quickly afterwards. I told this to my last therapist but she said it wasn't a meltdown but it feels like one. So is a silent meltdown possible? Is this even considered a meltdown?

Sorry for posting so soon after the other one but this question has been bothering me for days. Everytime I get bit I'm always overwhelmed and upset and I cry (silently) and just shutdown quickly afterwards. I told this to my last therapist but she said it wasn't a meltdown but it feels like one. So is a silent meltdown possible? Is this even considered a meltdown?

YES and NO.

Basically,...there is a MELTDOWN which is typically an emotional "explosion",...crying, screaming, sometimes violent behavior. Then there is the SHUTDOWN which is typically an emotional "implosion",...silence, internalization, avoidance behaviors, etc.

Hmmmm. I never really thought about such a distinction, based on whether or not such an outburst is in public, while interacting with others. The only meltdowns I recall as a teenager and child definitely involved others at the time. However when it comes to shutdowns (which I still but rarely experience) they can happen whether I am in the presence of others or completely alone.

My last shutdown was while I was at a shopping mall at Christmas. Surrounded by way too many people, yet not interacting with any of them. I doubt anyone noticed me at all...yet it was their presence that so stressed me out at a certain time and place.

Last edited:
My meltdowns are very rare and exponentially more emotionally intense than a shutdown. Meltdowns I go off grid until my emotions are back under control. I will literally make myself disappear.

Whereas a shutdown, I go quiet. Everything turns off. This is when my selective mutism kicks in. I don't hide in a physical sense of the word, but mentally I refuse to engage because I simply don't have the spoons.

All I know is that when things get to be too much for me, I just run. Sometimes I cannot keep up with the mess that people make or the fear in my own head.

Since I've had to learn to live with someone besides family, my meltdowns have had to become
mostly implosions.

Snapping back verbally or being explosive would be devastating now.
Occasionally I have had a few directed words, but, it could get out of hand, so I shut down.
No matter how I feel.
I then retreat to my room for a day or run off for a day until I can get my emotions under control.

New Threads

Top Bottom