• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I pay £30 to have my CV (Americans call it a resume) professionally rewritten?

I once forked out for a professionally written CV, and what came back was rubbish - I had more luck when writing the CV myself. Basically, because he thought I shouldn't use the word 'I' in the CV, every sentence started with a gerund or past participle, and sounded very stilted and unnatural.
"Having completed..., worked...
"Wanting to...."
"Intending to...", etc.

Last edited:
I had my resume done by an employment counselor at the Autism society NL, she did me a professional resume that really outlined my qualifications and did it for free. I'm sure someone could do yours for you for free. No need to pay money for it.

I had mine done my Autism Plus. a UK Autism specific employment company.

Cut down to 1 page from 3, but it doesn't detail enough experience IMO, only the jobs I've done in the last 3 or 4 years.

Topic.

Had a free CV critique from CVNow.co.uk and they said it's good but needs work.

Anyway, they're offering a Professional CV writing service for a 1 off payment of £30, which I can just about afford, should I go for it?

I think this isn't a good investment because you can find all kinds of resume/CV writing tips for just a Google search.

I think this isn't a good investment because you can find all kinds of resume/CV writing tips for just a Google search.

Even if I had the 30 quid to spare, and I don't, I wouldn't pay to have my CV done professionally, even with a fancy CV I still have to contend with blatant discrimination against disabled Aspies.

Even if I had the 30 quid to spare, and I don't, I wouldn't pay to have my CV done professionally, even with a fancy CV I still have to contend with blatant discrimination against disabled Aspies.

You can add age to that as well! We get it on both ends.

You can add age to that as well! We get it on both ends.

That's the worst thing, I have all that experience, been working about 26 years in various voluntary positions including half the Charity shops in Sheffield and various other stuff.

I'd even willingly go back to the PDSA if a certain person would publicly apologise for calling me a "deaf C word" and the Manager would take me back.

I don't see why an English degree would be relevant. We are talking about a job application here, not high-falutin' literary criticism.

1. Proofreading a resume is important
  2. They tend to understand correct spelling, grammar, and word usage
  3. They tend to read and write a lot
  4. Reading a lot tends to make one good at writing
  5. They would likely have excellent feedback on revisions

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom