• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Separated By a Common Language - US and UK

George Bernard Shaw said: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language." That is a true statement. It caused me to think about some of the phrases used between the two countries and I thought it would be interesting to compare.

US - Car trunk
UK - Boot

US - Fries
UK - Chips

What others can you think of?
do you still use slanging match?

It was jawbreaker in the US also, or was when they came in little candy machines. Not sure they even exist in the US now.

Merry-go-round - roundabout (playground item)
Zucchini - courgettes
Pregnant - stuffed
Bathroom, ladies room, powder room, ladies, gents, restroom, - toilet
Asphalt - tarmac
Power outage - power cut
Chickens - chooks
Tired - knackered
Knocked on door - knocked up
Knocked up - stuffed
Ok, so if a merry go round is called a roundabout, what do they call a roundabout in the UK?

We have a double roundabout near me.
You almost need a map to navigate it :p

I speak a combination of US/UK/Euro English. Sometimes I am not sure which way I am supposed to spell words as I learned both variations of spellings as a child.
I don't use a lot of slang words in any form, I speak quite formally as I am sure you have all noticed by now. I speak the same way as I write.
My dad was from Germany and my mum is from the Faroe Islands.

picture of double roundabout please
This is an aerial simulation of the one near me. It is very close coupled and extremely confusing with stop signs in many places and constantly moving traffic.

This is an aerial simulation of the one near me. It is very close coupled and extremely confusing with stop signs in many places and constantly moving traffic.

If you find that difficult the magic roundabout in Swindon would give you a heart attack.
Thereis also a triple roundabout on my old route home from uni which I quite regularly either took the wrong turn off or got cut up by people in the wrong lane, mostly due to the lack of signs and high speed high volume traffic
M6(T)J7-600.jpg

Last edited:
When I was in my early twenties I went to a small college party I didn't much enjoy except for meeting these Irish exchange students. The one dude seemed to appreciate my autistic perspective of things. His friends, a bit more gangster, were speaking English in an accent so alien to me, I could understand almost nothing they said. The other guy spoke more clearly. I imagine maybe the English can understand thick Irish accent English better than Southern Americans. I know the Irish have their own language but they definitely were speaking English...

New Threads

Top Bottom