• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory processing and video games.

Mia

V.I.P Member
Brain Training
Typically, kids with SPD (sensory processing disorders) have weekly occupational therapy sessions that focus on gross motor skills, as well as fine motor skills for those with dysgraphia.*
The Neuroscape Lab is developing video games to treat a wide range of conditions, including ADHD, Autism, and Sensory Processing Disorders.
Programs that work on cognitive control or attention are also critical for SPD kids who have ADHD in addition. Marco has partnered on this front with Joaquin Anguera, PhD, director of the clinical program at Neuroscape, UCSF’s translational neuroscience center. They are addressing cognitive control deficiencies with a new video gaming platform called Project EVO (developed by Akili Interactive Labs, a UCSF startup). On EVO, kids navigate a character along a winding path, avoiding obstacles and responding to variously colored targets. It’s designed to strengthen the brain’s ability to process and prioritize thoughts and external stimuli, and the game gets harder as a player gets better at it. “Playing EVO actually made a difference in issues of inattention that we measured in the lab and that were reported by parents,” says Anguera, who is also an assistant professor of neurology and psychiatry. “We showed a significant change in the kids’ neural activity. These changes were really deep, and they persisted for nine months beyond the eight-week intervention.”

Dysgraphia is a learning disability that affects handwriting and fine motor skills.
  • It interferes with spelling, word spacing, and the general ability to put thoughts on paper.
  • It makes the process of writing laboriously slow, and the written product difficult to read.
The Unbearable Sensation of Being: Living With Sensory Processing Disorder

What are your sensory processing disorders? Some examples of mine:
  • Hair brushing
  • Tight clothes or coarse fabric (✔)
  • Loud noises such as fireworks or thunder(✔)
  • Bright lights like camera flashes, sunshine, or strobes (✔)
  • Strong odors including perfume or scented detergent (✔)
  • Swimming in lakes
  • Sticky fingers
  • Tags on clothes (✔)
  • Being touched or hugged
  • Wearing shoes (✔)
  • Tart or bitter foods

Last edited:
Do they mention anything about Vestibular Sensitivity such as Geographical Dyslexia? I have never been able to play first person games as they make me disoriented and dizzy as does riding in a vehicle or watching a movie.

Vestibular Sensitivity such as Geographical Dyslexia?

No, they don't mention it. It's the first time I've heard of it. I often find myself dizzy when there are too many flashing images in a movie or commercials and being on the subway or a high speed train or motorcycle or even a skidoo makes me slightly disoriented. I thought most people felt that way:eek: It seems that at it's extreme it's related to lesions or injuries to areas of the brain.

New Threads

Top Bottom