• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Overload/ I get annoyed and confused...

I find the flat where I stay really stressful sometimes! In my block including outside my door in the corridor there are doors banging loudly sometimes and sometimes late at night, people shouting sometimes, what sounds like banging of plastic and wood loudly sometimes late at night.
People and bin lorries glass recycling noise right next to my ground floor window, motorcycle loud engine next to my window, it's a very busy loud street with vehicles and pedestrians

my block is very noisy including outside my door, there's a neighbour who bangs what sounds like wood or plastic maybe some days, some evening even around 10-1030pm. I have lived in a flat before without noises like these, sometimes quite often doors slam too, outside my ground floor window there is the motorbike engine noise, cars including car doors, a very busy street, bins being shut, it's a very busy street with people and vehicles always being noisy, I never relax, I tried earplugs or ear defenders but I can't get used to the sensation of them. If lived in a quieter street and wasn't ground floor before and a cul-de-sac street also not a busy street. As I'm not in number 6 a lot anymore I am home a lot and it gets very stressful!!

The area where I live is pretty quiet, but my mom is pretty loud and my brother has a habit of closing doors very loudly, which always bothers me and unnerves me a little. Work is way worse, but I expect things to quiet down now we're getting into fall.

I am not having a go at people with conditions like stammers but some people on tv seem to try and say uh uh repeatedly on purpose, for example Robert Jenrick MP and Charlie Stayt (presenter) on BBC breakfast today were both saying it at times, it's not annoying just very confusing why anyone would choose to say uh uh uh

I don't think people really do "choose" to say it. It's just something people say while trying to figure out what they're saying next. Kind of like when a video buffers. I say "um" a lot, even when I have a script I've practiced.

Wikipedia calls them "Filler Words": "In linguistics, a filler, filled pause, hesitation marker or planner is a sound or word that is spoken in conversation by one participant to signal to others a pause to think without giving the impression of having finished speaking."

I've seen news on tv for years and hear people on other tv programmes who have been interviewed on news programmes so can tell if it's deliberate or not, an example is, it was difficult to keep following what Dr Liam Fox MP was saying during his BBC Biden Inauguration Day interview, as after almost every sentence he said 'ah'

I can't prove my neighbour's disturbances as it would be my word against theirs but if I did have proof, I would tell the council or citizens advice bureau in the first instance and if taken further I would approach a civil law lawyer

To think that some people are not doing it deliberately is silly too...
Of course it is silly. Every course on public speaking will order you not to do it because it "taints" your credibility. That is not an environment where people do such things on purpose. What would they gain from it?

Sometimes newsreaders repeat a word in a sentence for no apparent reason too. ITV News at 10 newsreader Tom Bradby tonight repeated 'goalscorer' when saying premier league goalscorer.

I just messaged ITN. If anyone else watched the itv late news bulletin last night, the presenter repeated one of the words in the last news story, there was no reason to as she said it clearly originally, so I messaged ITN why.

A couple of days ago on BBC Breakfast, at around 6:13am, Joe Inwood forgot for a split second to pretend there's a long delay, news reporters like to over exaggerate this

New Threads

Top Bottom