• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory issues - freaking tights.

VioletHaze_03

Nerdling (Fledgling nerd)
i don't know if this is the right place to post this, i hope it is. ever since i was little, i've had some pretty bad sensory issues. i couldn't wear jeans, long sleeves, baggy pants, those weird leggings with the multicolored fabric, see-through or lace tops, and a whole bunch of other stuff. i've gotten a little bit better, but not much. half the time i wish i could just wear my pajamas in public because my clothes are SO DANG ANNOYING. anyway, sorry for the micro rant, back to the main issue.

most of my sensory issues could be tolerated, but there was one that i could not survive for five minutes.tights. nylon.fricking.tights. i don't know why, but every time i walked around in them it felt like i was rubbing sandpaper between my legs. even thinking about how uncomfortable they are is just- ugh. ughhhhhhhhhhh.

of course, there are times when i need to wear tights. usually i just wear some tight fitting yoga pants, but this is becoming less of an option. my family is telling me that i need to start wearing tights and to "get over myself" i'm sorry, but one does not simply "get over" sandpaper in one's crotch. and yes, i really want to wear tights (especially the cute ones with the cats at the knees ^-^) but they are just so painful that i can't. once i had to wear footless tights for comic-con, but i took them off in the car five minutes after me and my dad started driving. everyone was staring because by rule, i had to wear tights, but i didn't care.

i''ve tried everything (footless tights, wearing shorts under them, you name it) with no luck. i've heard lycra works, but i'm feeling a bit hopeless at this point. does anyone have any suggestions?

My first suggestion is to wear what you feel comfortable in. Don't let anyone else tell you what you should be putting on your body.

That being said, I don't particularly like nylons, but they don't bother me that much either (I certainly wouldn't want to wear them for hours and hours though). In winter, I often wear leggings with high cotton content and those are pretty comfy and soft. They do make tights and nylons with a cotton crotch part as well. You could try the ones that come up to just above the knees and it'll look like you're wearing full length ones.

My first suggestion is to wear what you feel comfortable in. Don't let anyone else tell you what you should be putting on your body.

That being said, I don't particularly like nylons, but they don't bother me that much either (I certainly wouldn't want to wear them for hours and hours though). In winter, I often wear leggings with high cotton content and those are pretty comfy and soft. They do make tights and nylons with a cotton crotch part as well. You could try the ones that come up to just above the knees and it'll look like you're wearing full length ones.
yeah, i usually wear leggings or otk socks. leggings look really bulky and kind of ugly under skirts, but for now it's the only option i have.

I have the same problem -- I hate tights and nylons and anything restrictive; it is almost as bad as itchy fabric, which is my worst.

What law says you have to wear tights? These senseless clothing rules suck and must be rebelled against. What, we're sorting toxic waste? We'll DIE if we don't wear tights?

My advice is don't. That's not very helpful I know, because something is obviously compelling you to wear tights, but how about this: wash them with a crapton of fabric softener, like way more than anyone would consider necessary or typical.

I'd personally just say screw tights altogether, but again, if it's what you want. Just that I have the same deal with skinny jeans, which I will not wear for all the tea in China, nor all the salt in Siberia, nor all the cheese in Wisconsin, nor all the rubies in India. Not. A. Chance.

Is it the feeling of tights against your skin, or the feeling of one leg in tights rubbing against the other leg in tights? (Or perhaps both?)

I'm asking because I guess you could help the crotch issue by cutting out the crotch part, but then if you can't stand the feeling of tights on your skin, you'll face the same issue on your legs.
I'm not sure what to tell you. If it's the constriction that creates a sensory problem, then no matter what fabric the tights are made of, it's going to be an issue, in which case I'll join the ranks of those who ask is you really, absolutely, unavoidably, must wear said tights and a skirt or dress, rather than some kind of pantsuit or something.

If it's the fabric, perhaps there's hope. I know that baby powder can make them a little less itchy, because nylon can get itchy where the skin rubs, but I can't think of much else. I'm actually one of those rare people who wear tights all the time, whatever the weather, whatever the outfit (especially under jeans. I can't stand the feeling of denim on my skin, actually, I can't stand pants, for so many reasons that I will not start listing them), and I have the opposite issue: "Why are you wearing tights, it's August?!? Aren't you hot?". (I'm not hot. I just have major sensory issues with my legs touching one another)

For me, it's the particular type of pressure over a large area of skin that flips me out. It's not just itchy, though that makes it worse; it's the crawly compression that is so uncomfortable. Like compressing myself into a girdle makes me want to scream; I simply cannot wear these kinds of garments in any form, they constantly draw sensory attention to themselves in a very uncomfortable way.

Men don't understand as much because the worst they have to deal with is a collar and tie. They don't get harsh elastic in tender areas, bras with underwires, high heeled shoes with pointy toes, scratchy lace, unyielding waistbands, and yes, nylons. Try it, guys. See what YOU think.

I've asked other women things like, "Isn't it uncomfortable?" and they say, "Yes, but I don't think about it." Oooookay, but I don't have that particular superpower.

So why exactly are you wearing them if they cause you so much discomfort? If they're part of some-kind of school uniform, you could probably get an accommodation.

Is it the feeling of tights against your skin, or the feeling of one leg in tights rubbing against the other leg in tights? (Or perhaps both?)

I'm asking because I guess you could help the crotch issue by cutting out the crotch part, but then if you can't stand the feeling of tights on your skin, you'll face the same issue on your legs.
I'm not sure what to tell you. If it's the constriction that creates a sensory problem, then no matter what fabric the tights are made of, it's going to be an issue, in which case I'll join the ranks of those who ask is you really, absolutely, unavoidably, must wear said tights and a skirt or dress, rather than some kind of pantsuit or something.

If it's the fabric, perhaps there's hope. I know that baby powder can make them a little less itchy, because nylon can get itchy where the skin rubs, but I can't think of much else. I'm actually one of those rare people who wear tights all the time, whatever the weather, whatever the outfit (especially under jeans. I can't stand the feeling of denim on my skin, actually, I can't stand pants, for so many reasons that I will not start listing them), and I have the opposite issue: "Why are you wearing tights, it's August?!? Aren't you hot?". (I'm not hot. I just have major sensory issues with my legs touching one another)
it's my legs rubbing together. even if i try to wear shorts under it, the rest of my legs rub together.

New Threads

Top Bottom