• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Issues and Stress.

Datura

Hypersensitivity usually isn't that strong a factor in my life. This past that all changed when I was placed on some medications that pushed my senses into overdrive. Since qitting those medications the symtoms abruply dropped off with some residual effects lasting for several months before leveling out. I thout these issues were behind me, but following a few days of high anxiety I now find they symptoms returning. Just typing this I can feel my eyes burning, despite having my monitor on its darkest setting. Sounds have also been a bit more grating than usual.

I'm trying not to worry, but I think I am nervous about some volunteer work I have signed up for. I will be working the phones at a fund drive. While I am trained in telephone etequit I wonder how I will deal with the work environment. During training the volunteer coordinator was going over how to fill out the forms, but at the same time there was an other group training on the database and a radio playing in the background. I had a really hard time focusing on just her voice and found myself repeatedly zoning out. So if it was that bad with just three voices what is it going to be like with four to eight other volunteer all chatting away and ringing bells every time we get a new donor? Thankfully they have headsets, but will that be adiquate?

So, I am pretty sure this is stress related, but not completely sure. Does anybody else experience these sensory spikes, and what seems to be the cause? Do you have any strategies for riding it out?

Hypersensitivity usually isn't that strong a factor in my life. This past that all changed when I was placed on some medications that pushed my senses into overdrive. Since qitting those medications the symtoms abruply dropped off with some residual effects lasting for several months before leveling out. I thout these issues were behind me, but following a few days of high anxiety I now find they symptoms returning. Just typing this I can feel my eyes burning, despite having my monitor on its darkest setting. Sounds have also been a bit more grating than usual.

I'm trying not to worry, but I think I am nervous about some volunteer work I have signed up for. I will be working the phones at a fund drive. While I am trained in telephone etequit I wonder how I will deal with the work environment. During training the volunteer coordinator was going over how to fill out the forms, but at the same time there was an other group training on the database and a radio playing in the background. I had a really hard time focusing on just her voice and found myself repeatedly zoning out. So if it was that bad with just three voices what is it going to be like with four to eight other volunteer all chatting away and ringing bells every time we get a new donor? Thankfully they have headsets, but will that be adiquate?

So, I am pretty sure this is stress related, but not completely sure. Does anybody else experience these sensory spikes, and what seems to be the cause? Do you have any strategies for riding it out?

I do experience sensory spikes usually when I'm tired. Personally my senses are as precise as a Swiss watch.
May I ask what medication you recently stop taking. You sound like you are experiencing some anxiety? Correct me if I'm wrong but you said that you are at a high level of sensory overdrive and anxiety is that correct.

I haven't stopped taking anything recently. The drugs that seemed to be causing the problems before were Welbutrin and Dextroamphetamine. I have since discontinued their use and am taking Stratera and Paxil.

Medication stuff aside, because I can't talk about meds having never been on any like it sounds like you are...yes, my sensory issues do spike when I'm stressed out. When I got my first job, as a cashier, it was almost impossible to deal with. I would have panic attacks and shutdowns at work every other day at least, if not daily. Because sound sensitivity and sensory overload were my major problems, I learned how to deal with it by using the aspie ability to hyperfocus to my advantage. Because I work as a cashier I learned how to focus solely on my current customer and this naturally blocked out everything else. To the point that I didn't notice it when my customer's wife (who I guess had left before he chose a line to get something) over to the cart and abruptly fell to the floor in a seizure...I literally thought the toddler in the cart had dropped something.:sweatsmile:

I haven't stopped taking anything recently. The drugs that seemed to be causing the problems before were Welbutrin and Dextroamphetamine. I have since discontinued their use and am taking Stratera and Paxil.
Are you still experiencing any anxiety? If you like feel the option to talk to me privately if you like. Anyway what do you thing is causing your stress? I use cymbalta for anxiety and Cronin pain management that work pretty well for me.

Are you still experiencing any anxiety?
Not at the moment, but today was pretty bad. My first volunteer shift is tomorrow, but I'm starting to feel more at ease about it. I just have to remind myself that I've dealt with much more stressfull situations and made it out alive, I can do this too. If it turns out the background noise is too much then I guess that's a lesson learned and I should chose my obligations more carefully.

Of course, I say this with calm and clarity right now, I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring. My anxieties are so irrational and hyperbollic. Even realizing that doesn't seem to help when they get out of controll.

Not at the moment, but today was pretty bad. My first volunteer shift is tomorrow, but I'm starting to feel more at ease about it. I just have to remind myself that I've dealt with much more stressfull situations and made it out alive, I can do this too. If it turns out the background noise is too much then I guess that's a lesson learned and I should chose my obligations more carefully.

Of course, I say this with calm and clarity right now, I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring. My anxieties are so irrational and hyperbollic. Even realizing that doesn't seem to help when they get out of controll.

Is your medicine working to lower your anxiety?

The medications help with my anxiety. They are, however, far from eliminating it. I am working with a professional psychiatrist to optimize my treatment.

The medications help with my anxiety. They are, however, far from eliminating it. I am working with a professional psychiatrist to optimize my treatment.

That's great you are getting treatment. Feel free to PM me when ever you want to talk.

New Threads

Top Bottom