• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sense of Humour?

My parents used to makes jokes about how I don't have a sense of humour, and even my geography teacher at the time commented that I took things too seriously. I think it's because I would often mistake jestful remarks to be genuine insults. Sometimes I still have that problem.

However, I do have a sense of humour. It mainly includes bad puns, self-deprecation, dark comedy, and general absurdity. Over time my parents have realised that I am not completely lacking in humour, and sometimes they compare my sense of humour to Dave Gorman's. I have several different favourite comedians, and I enjoy listening to their various skits.

My friends find me amusing, however I'll admit that my delivery could use some work. I enjoy coming up with my own jokes, especially if they're improvised.

As for autism being associated with not having a sense of humour, I remember when I first started looking into the subject out of curiosity, and I found a video that remarked that those with autism typically lack one. However, I looked at the comments and a good portion of users disagreed with the video. Some people lack a sense of humour, others don't. I agree with @Peter Morrison, it has less to do with autism and more to do with an individual's own personality.

Last edited:
I'm not very funny myself, with occasional exceptions. I enjoy making people laugh, so whenever something crosses my mind that might be really funny, I deliver it right then and there. It's pretty inconsistent, though.

I also have a (bad habit?) where when someone says something that triggers a particularly vivid mental image for me, even if it's not funny I find it absolutely hysterical and cannot stop laughing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is prosocial behavior on my part.

Same, I'm situationally funny, but very dry and sarcastic. People find me funny. But I don't much laugh myself

I've been told I have quite a wicked sense of humour.

Very kind of "old school" though, I prefer the old "slap stick" kind of comedy, stuff like Fawlty Towers, On the Buses etc.

Oh yes, I have a good sense of humour (well, in my opinion, anyway), although sometimes I find it hard to figure out whether someone is joking/being sarcastic or not, even though I use sarcasm myself, sometimes. For example, I asked someone in my class if I could sit next to them and they said "no" with a straight face, so I started looking for another seat, but it turned out they were joking! I think I use basically every form of humour myself, though: dark humour, lighthearted humour, jokes, puns, sarcasm...I'm not sure if I just picked up those types of humour from other people, or whether i was born with it. I think a bit of both.

Growing up, dad and brother were funny.
My eldest and youngest child have a great sense of humour.

I either get the joke or I don’t.

I can usually observe banter between others and recognise it’s banter but I’m not usually quick enough to understand where they’re coming from in order to join in.

I can usually observe banter between others and recognise it’s banter but I’m not usually quick enough to understand where they’re coming from in order to join in.
Same here - and I find the fact that in most social situations banter is expected very difficult - if you can't join in, they think that you are boring and humorless and not 'fun'. I don't like this pressure to be always witty and funny. Can't do it.

Not everyone has a sense of humour

Attachments

• 975abed73abf9f2cc38a97c611130c7b.jpg
    975abed73abf9f2cc38a97c611130c7b.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 73

New Threads

Top Bottom