• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sense of hearing.

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
I have a sharp sense of hearing, and sometimes it leads to mildly humorous situations. For example, I was at my Grandma's one time with my family and my Grandma was in the room next to us. She started asking questions, and without thinking I replied.

Everyone else look puzzled, so I explained that I was just answering her. Apparently no one was aware that she was in that room, and still thought that she was further down the hall.

My mum often speaks whilst upstairs to people who are downstairs at a regular volume. I'm usually the only one who can hear her from this distance, and I tend to act as a messenger. So I'll be sat downstairs watching TV with a few family members, and I'll hear my mum asking someone for something and I'll inform them of this. We both tend to forget that the people we're talking to probably can't hear us. I'm always doing things like that.

Eavesdropping is usually unintentional, I'll be sat in my room on my bed and listening to a conversation going on in the downstairs kitchen or living room without thinking about it. Unfortunately, this can make it difficult to surprise me. I'll hear people talking excitedly about something they are planning to tell me, and I'm sat there wondering if I should act surprised when they tell me so then I don't take the fun out of it, or if I should just tell them that I already heard. :D

I remember when I was in school, and someone thought that they were out of earshot and were not so secretly making fun of me with a friend of theirs, I was tempted to suddenly turn around and say "surprise, I can hear you! :p". At one point their friend remarked "Shh, otherwise she might hear you" and they replied "I don't think so". If I'd done that, they would've looked so shocked. :eek: ;)

Occasionally when I'm out for a walk, I'll hear a small sound and might stop to figure out what it is. The last time this happened it turned out to be a piece of birch tree that had peeled off slightly and the wind was making it hit the rest of the tree repeatedly.

I tend to get caught up on details, if I wasn't careful when writing I might spend an entire page describing a singular tree out of an entire forest. :rolleyes: :D

How about you? What's your sense of hearing like? :)

Mine's about average; I often think I might be going a bit deaf in my right ear though, some sounds are more dull compared to my left... also I haven't had a hearing exam in about 10 years :eek:

I know that I have experienced presbycusis, but I still hear more details in my remaining range than most people do. This is particularly true if the sound is unusual or unexpected in some way.

Yes, I can hear conversations from far away and have often overheard conversations going on in other rooms, including conversations about me and stuff I wasn't meant to hear. I often notice sounds that others miss, but I don't think that my hearing is superior to that of others, it's more that I notice sounds more, background sounds that others usually tune out and ignore.

Very keen hearing, despite tinitus.
Sometimes to the point of actually hurting my ears.
I had to wear cotton plugs around age 13 when riding in the car. Road noise really bothered me.
Can't help but hear different conversations around me when in a restaurant.
It can be amusing at times.
Sound sensitivity has been bothersome lately so I'm going to my ENT in week for a check up.

I have terrible hearing from all the loud music with earbuds and concerts and such, but I also do what you describe!

Wait, I'm confused...

My hearing is not very good, but I guess it is about average for someone my age.

The reason I am even "paranoid" about people being able to understand sensitive things I say behind a closed door is because I would likely be able to understand that.

I can hear very well when it's quiet. Like I could hear a car coming up the road from a mile away when at my dad's. But when there are multiple things going on, or any background noise, I can't pick out much of anything.

Last night, my hearing suddenly got extremely sensitive. Even the sound of the keys on my computer or my own voice hurt my ears. I've had to speak in a whisper since then.

I was in my bedroom (just about as far as possible from my apartment door in other words) folding laundry and I heard the *beep* of the mail carrier's scanner outside in the hallway - I immediately knew my package had been delivered and ran to get it.

It struck me as odd because I a) heard the beep b) knew what it was and c) knew it signified the delivery of my package and all of this processing took place in less than a second.

If only I could process everything that well/quickly.

New Threads

Top Bottom