• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sense of Direction

V.I.P Member
Another obscure trait question.

It always amazes me that most people find their way around so easily. Most people seem to be able to drive to a location that they have only been to once - in a taxi or someone else's car for example. Most people seem to be able to find a location based on some vague verbal instructions.

I have absolutely no sense of direction, and I can never remember how to find somewhere if it involves more than a couple of turns. Normally the first few times I have to drive to a place I either need someone in the car giving me directions or I need to pull over repeatedly to look at a map.

Fortunately I am very good at reading maps. Without a map I would be lost - literally and repeatedly.

When I first moved into a house in Thailand I had to get a friend of mine at work, who lived nearby, to draw me a map so that I could find my own house and give the taxi directions. When we moved back to Jakarta I had to ask my wife how to walk to the shopping centre up the road, even though we had been there many times and I can literally see it out my apartment window.

These days I am a lot better than I used to be, but I think that that is only because I have taught myself to deliberately commit each turn to my long-term memory, to deliberately and consciously take note of landmarks and how they relate to the route.

Anyone else notice this? Does it sound like a short-term memory issue (Aspies very often have problems with short-term memory), or is it a separate (and annoying) trait?

I'm very good at directions. I suppose it's partly because I look out of my car window a lot when we're driving so I pick up the roads, signs and landmarks along the way. Even when traveling on foot i'm good at directions. My auntie said that I was a very observant person so that probably has something to do with it. I also have a good memory and if i'm lost i'll usually figure it out for myself without the need for a map. 

I am very good at finding my way around. I always know where north is and I feel lost if I don't. If somebody shows me a map, I can memorize it and find where I am going, but if somebody gives me verbal directions, I am doomed to get lost.

No problems here. Once I have been somewhere I know where to go to get there again. Most of the time.

i have a decent sense of direction and when i look at an ordinance survey map i can quickly figure out where i am and stuff, i take in my surroundings where ever i am, i suppose you could say planning an escape, but im good at remembering how to get around places that ive been to a couple of times

Maps I'm terrible with but when it comes to navigating around shopping centres and stuff I'm pretty good 'cause I'll remember insignificant details.
Verbal instructions I'm terrible with and have a separate diagnosis which explains why.
I'm not sure about driving though. I've never really tried(<insert insignificant ramblings about her life experience with vehicles>) but the times I get driven places I'm not paying attention to the roads at all.
I can get myself around the city and stuff though with buses and what not.

No problems with directions, i dont get lost in big forests either. But i SUCK when comes to reading maps of places i`ve never seen before... :/

f.

I have such poor sense of direction that I cannot find my way around my own neighborhood, which I have lived in for 20 years. But that is to be expected with dyscalculia.

LoL Em. Hug.

"You Are Here, You Are Here" (The YAH map)

I'll invent friendly cognitive gadgets for Aspies to use. Just bragging: and I need to study (map out) their minds first.

Maps I'm terrible with but when it comes to navigating around shopping centres and stuff I'm pretty good 'cause I'll remember insignificant details.
Verbal instructions I'm terrible with and have a separate diagnosis which explains why.
I'm not sure about driving though. I've never really tried(<insert insignificant ramblings about her life experience with vehicles>) but the times I get driven places I'm not paying attention to the roads at all.
I can get myself around the city and stuff though with buses and what not.
EMZ=]

I'm really good at this kind of thing. I can glance at a place on google maps for a few seconds then just drive there, regardless of where it is... :)

LoL Em. Hug.

"You Are Here, You Are Here" (The YAH map)

I'll invent friendly cognitive gadgets for Aspies to use. Just bragging: and I need to study (map out) their minds first.
Good luck with that (Y).
EMZ=]

I'm good with directions as long as I can see some kind of landmark. I can memorize maps easily.
Instances such as travelling on the London Underground, on coming out of it leaves me completely disorientated.

I can remember having that problem in the past really bad in the past but not so much these days.

I bought myself a GPS yesterday. I am so excited. I live in a really cool city and even though I've been here 7 months I've never explored it because I knew I wouldn't be able to find my way home. Now I can go anywhere. :) It even has an emergency "Where Am I?" feature that I can press the button for and it will tell me my exact location.

I bought myself a GPS yesterday. I am so excited. I live in a really cool city and even though I've been here 7 months I've never explored it because I knew I wouldn't be able to find my way home. Now I can go anywhere. :) It even has an emergency "Where Am I?" feature that I can press the button for and it will tell me my exact location.
That's pretty awesome (Y).
EMZ=]

i cant stand buses, for me its on foot or ill bike it if i cant get a lift, that is, the times i leave the house
Buses aren't that bad imo. Usually in my city there's like two empty rows between you and the nearest person so meh.
EMZ=]

New Threads

Top Bottom