• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-Stimulation affected by diet?

Escape

Hey guys i'm new to this forum. I'm a college student diagnosed with aspergers at an early age mainly due to the symptom of stimming. As a child it was more pronounced, now I only really stim when i'm alone or sometimes in public but in a low-level socially acceptable way. However lately I've noticed myself doing it more often in public without realizing, and the body movements(shakes/arm extensions) more pronounced. As a child, doctors put me on a no-wheat diet for a year which decreased the amount of stimming I did A LOT. Could my diet in college affect the amount/intensity of my stimming? Or do you guys think that it is just the increased stress from exams? Anyone else have similar experiences with stimulation? Thanks!

I have no idea what your diet is in college, and therefore no way of knowing whether it affects your stimming. However, do not make drastic changes without the advice of a physician, preferable one who specializes in nutrition. Unless of course, those changes consist in eating mroe vegetables, or something common sense like that. Some people embark upon very unhealthy eating patterns on purpose because they got the idea that it would help them somehow.
In the past I found that reducing the amount of wheat I ate (notice I didn't say reducing the amount of grain) and replacing some of it with brown rice, corrolated to feeling better and having more consistent energy.
It is important to remember that the healthiest eating pattern is one that consists of a lot of variety. (especially of plant-foods). Many different various foods.
Increases stress from exams is a very likely cause.

Thank you, that is good advice. I think it has a lot to do with stress form exams also, however I noticed that when I would eat a lot of pasta(one of my obsessions, I have cut down in the recent years) it would result in more stimming energy, which is why, I suppose, I like eating it so much. I just find the whole thing interesting.

New Threads

Top Bottom