• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-learned and self-diagnosed

Altair13

Hello everyone!

Friend told me about this forum. He's currently lurking around just reading, but he told me he resonates with what he read a lot, so I decided to join as well.

I'm a 31 year old who's living with grandparents. I've studied economy but I've always been interested in psychology more than anything else, so I studied everything I could find psychology-related for 6-7 years now. My favorite topics are personality psychology, disorders and astrology (but in a scientific way, if one is allowed to say that nowadays).

I have my own company for digital marketing and astrology, but it's not doing great. I'm finding it hard to do everything by myself,so I'm constantly in search for like-minded individuals. Basically, I've found some theories and paradigms which could unite astrology with sciences (psychology, sociology and genetics) and I'm working on communicating those with the world, earning money at the same time, if possible at all. Currently I'm working on a website to do just that, but as I said, it's hard to do everything alone.

During the course of studying both economy and psychology, I've stumbled upon Asperger diagnosis, which seemed to explain my differences from other people the best. Of course, I managed to self-diagnose with numerous other disorders, but I've also learned about the crucial difference between getting diagnosed and not getting diagnosed - functionality. It seemed as long as I'm functional, I wouldn't get the diagnosis even if I consulted a psychiatrist.

So basically now I'm just a self-diagnosed Aspergerian looking for ways to fulfill my purpose in life and extending my global presence to include like-minded people from all around the world. I have a lot of friends IRL who I can unwind and be myself with, who also probably share the same diagnosis, but none of us ever went to see the therapist and cofirm it. I feel blessed having those people around every day, especially when I read some of the posts here which emphasise having to pretend and wear masks around people all the time.

I sincerely hope we can connect and help each other in any way we can, because the direction this world is going in could use some of our knowledge and perspective, even if we're the odd ones out.

See ya around! :D

1681568838427.png

Hi and welcome. It's nice to see someone with such a bright outlook, I hope you find something useful in some of our experiences and I look forward to reading about some of yours too.

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are well studied and passionate about your interests. Glad you found us!

Welcome!

Psychology is a common special interest for many on the spectrum from what I've read - I think part of it may be trying to understand our interactions with others better.

I'm glad to hear you have a strong IRL support network as that's something that many of us lack, but of course if you can have both (good IRL and online support) it's even better - glad to have you with us :)

Psychology is a common special interest for many on the spectrum from what I've read - I think part of it may be trying to understand our interactions with others better.

Really? I'm looking forward to our discussions then!
Yeah, big part of it comes down to understanding both myself and the others.

Why are we so different? What are our strengths and weaknesses? Why do we even have weaknesses? Etc, etc.

Granted, modern psychology already has most of the answers to these questions, but every good answer raises up another few questions, and I'm inclined to combine any knowledge I can with traditional spiritual practises (for something to survive for thousands of years, it has to provide a decent evolutionary advantage to us)

See ya around!

Really? I'm looking forward to our discussions then!
Yeah, big part of it comes down to understanding both myself and the others.

Why are we so different? What are our strengths and weaknesses? Why do we even have weaknesses? Etc, etc.

Granted, modern psychology already has most of the answers to these questions, but every good answer raises up another few questions, and I'm inclined to combine any knowledge I can with traditional spiritual practises (for something to survive for thousands of years, it has to provide a decent evolutionary advantage to us)

See ya around!

is a great book (both for autistics trying to better cope with things, but also as a part-memoir) if you haven't already read it - and the author didn't start their autism self-discovery journey until after getting their PhD in psychology.

Hello everyone!

Friend told me about this forum. He's currently lurking around just reading, but he told me he resonates with what he read a lot, so I decided to join as well.

I'm a 31 year old who's living with grandparents. I've studied economy but I've always been interested in psychology more than anything else, so I studied everything I could find psychology-related for 6-7 years now. My favorite topics are personality psychology, disorders and astrology (but in a scientific way, if one is allowed to say that nowadays).

I have my own company for digital marketing and astrology, but it's not doing great. I'm finding it hard to do everything by myself,so I'm constantly in search for like-minded individuals. Basically, I've found some theories and paradigms which could unite astrology with sciences (psychology, sociology and genetics) and I'm working on communicating those with the world, earning money at the same time, if possible at all. Currently I'm working on a website to do just that, but as I said, it's hard to do everything alone.

During the course of studying both economy and psychology, I've stumbled upon Asperger diagnosis, which seemed to explain my differences from other people the best. Of course, I managed to self-diagnose with numerous other disorders, but I've also learned about the crucial difference between getting diagnosed and not getting diagnosed - functionality. It seemed as long as I'm functional, I wouldn't get the diagnosis even if I consulted a psychiatrist.

So basically now I'm just a self-diagnosed Aspergerian looking for ways to fulfill my purpose in life and extending my global presence to include like-minded people from all around the world. I have a lot of friends IRL who I can unwind and be myself with, who also probably share the same diagnosis, but none of us ever went to see the therapist and cofirm it. I feel blessed having those people around every day, especially when I read some of the posts here which emphasise having to pretend and wear masks around people all the time.

I sincerely hope we can connect and help each other in any way we can, because the direction this world is going in could use some of our knowledge and perspective, even if we're the odd ones out.

See ya around! :D
Hi I recognize myself in your story. I believe I tick in a lot of boxes. Many interests since childhood. I like to talk about them a lot and try to find likeminded. I like psychology for example. I Met friends in college that I connected. I think my parents were neurodiverse but for them it was a shame and nothing to be accepted. It would be nice to have some contact with you here!

New Threads

Top Bottom