• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-destructive/ harming behaviors?

Zenbutterfly, if I can ask, what do you pick? I always pick the inner sides of my thumbs till I have to cover it with a bandaid because it's bleeding.
I pick my lip and my fingers, both till bleeding like you x although tis a little hard to bandaid your lip haha. Do you find you end up picking the bandaid,?

I am a self harming pro. My doctor had me use direct skin contact ice. The sudden cold shock to the system really puts an end to nearly all meltdowns, and other self harm behavior.

When I get the feeling of throwing something or cutting, punching something I get some ice and put some on my back or chest. It will really wake you up and temporary take your mind off the meltdown.

It's also funny so it helps with stress and is cheap.

Last edited:
I am a self harming pro. My doctor had me use direct skin contact ice. The sudden cold shock to the system really puts an end to nearly all meltdowns, and other self harm behavior.

When I get the feeling of throwing something or cutting, punching something I get some ice and put some on my back or chest. It will really wake you up and temporary take your mind off the meltdown.

It's also funny so it helps with stress and is cheap.
I'm glad I read your post. I was in hospital & staff suggested this but I'd forgotten. I'm going to buy some of the picnic ice blocks tomorrow.

Is what I described considered a melt down? I had always just thought that I had shutdowns but now that I think about what I just typed.... Anyway, how do we stop it or relieve the stressor?

Hi nyxjord ,my sympathies to you, I'm not a expert on this front because my auspie thing very rarely reaches meltdown, it takes quite a bit of evil people stuff to push me over the edge, but what you are describing does sound like imminent meltdown mode you are right on the edge.
I had a little of that when I was trapped in a hostile boarding school, and my autism was severely being stressed. I suspect you are just overloaded with too much new school stuff, maybe it will recede some as you settle into the new semester routine. The beginning of a school year or semester and finals may be when you are stressed the most. What you need is a way to decompress and reduce stimuli, try walking in the woods or jogging, and use white noise blockers more, fans, AC, or soft symphony music while studying, I find fans to be most helpful for me I can't hardly sleep without them.

The Ice thing sounded good to, maybe a cold shower would help? if you can survive it? :snowflake::snowman: Birrrr! :p
Best wishes to you nyxjord good luck Mael :)

Update to add that I have stopped the biting and peeling of skin. I am not sure how, just decided not to anymore after decades of pain. One thing that helped was every time I caught myself I made myself do a plank* for 60 seconds. Kind of a substitute one kind of pain for another ha.

This is a plank. (Not a pic of me.)
front-plank-exercise.jpg

May as well say it here , I used to in 2000 2002 but stopped.
But I do think about it almost every day since . It isn't a strong enough urge to act on .but I think it nearly every day of and of the day .
That's a long time to be thinking that stuff

New Threads

Top Bottom