• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self Awareness and High Functioning Autism

DanielleMarie

Hi. I work in academic assistance in a high school and support students with disabilities. I have a senior with high functioning autism who really needs some support with self awareness. Yesterday, I was helping him with a college scholarship application for students with autism. When he needed to check off the box to indicate he was diagnosed with autism, he seemed to have a really hard time doing so and almost seemed unaware that was his diagnosis. I explained to him then what his diagnosis meant and the impacts it had on him (communication, social skills, etc.). I was looking for something though that I could print out to help him understand. He will be leaving for college in the fall and I want him to have a better understanding of what autism is so he can discuss his strengths, weaknesses, and needs with his disability services coordinator at college. Do you know of any good resources I could use with him that are designed for the person with autism and not a parent/teacher? Thanks so much!

Hi. I work in academic assistance in a high school and support students with disabilities. I have a senior with high functioning autism who really needs some support with self awareness. Yesterday, I was helping him with a college scholarship application for students with autism. When he needed to check off the box to indicate he was diagnosed with autism, he seemed to have a really hard time doing so and almost seemed unaware that was his diagnosis. I explained to him then what his diagnosis meant and the impacts it had on him (communication, social skills, etc.). I was looking for something though that I could print out to help him understand. He will be leaving for college in the fall and I want him to have a better understanding of what autism is so he can discuss his strengths, weaknesses, and needs with his disability services coordinator at college. Do you know of any good resources I could use with him that are designed for the person with autism and not a parent/teacher? Thanks so much!

Have you tried searching google for the something like the National Autistic Society (or whatever is local to your country/area)? I would assume something like that would have the sort of information/help that you are looking for for your student.

Most of what I have found is geared more towards parents and teachers and not for the person with autism to learn more about self awareness. I haven't found what I am looking for yet.

My apologies for bringing up more questions than answers you are looking for. However what you ask IMO is a really good question and potentially complex subject going in many directions. Where someone appears consistently oblivious in part to their own traits and behaviors. Seeing themselves in a very different light than how others see them.
  • Is this a potential trait and behavior in itself, or just a manifestation of denial ?
  • Can such a thing reflect possible comorbid deficits in executive functioning ?
That if one hasn't fully come to terms with being on the spectrum, self-awareness is likely a premature proposition. Made worse if one's own traits and behaviors in themselves somehow interfere with the process of self awareness.

Then factor in just how stigmatized neurodiversity can be for us. And the potential societal consequences of being officially labeled autistic. A very conscious concern for virtually all of us. The element of risk in whether being open about it all will help us or hurt us, regardless of all the well-intended people out there who genuinely want to help us.

Sadly there could be any number of reasons reflecting reticence on the part of your autistic student to check that box involving professional concerns beyond your pay grade. That merely being diagnosed as autistic may be very different than personally accepting it in whole or in part. Something perhaps only he and his physician may be aware of which hasn't been shared with you.

In my own case I can only say that self-awareness involved going down a bumpy road strewn with many potholes. With a whole lot of denial along the way.

Last edited:
I do think there is some major denial on the part of the student. He has very much relied on me completely his two years at our school. He's in a residential school for the arts. I just worry so much that when he goes away to college that he's going to realize there isn't always someone there to help with everything to the extent that I do. And I want him to be able to realize what he needs help with and to ask for it. However, that realization and request for help requires self awareness. I guess I could create some literature to give him to help explain. He's very visual and has a tough time following oral language, so I think having something in writing or even in graphic format would be helpful. He's a visual artist and an illustrator.

I do think there is some major denial on the part of the student. He has very much relied on me completely his two years at our school. He's in a residential school for the arts. I just worry so much that when he goes away to college that he's going to realize there isn't always someone there to help with everything to the extent that I do. And I want him to be able to realize what he needs help with and to ask for it. However, that realization and request for help requires self awareness. I guess I could create some literature to give him to help explain. He's very visual and has a tough time following oral language, so I think having something in writing or even in graphic format would be helpful. He's a visual artist and an illustrator.

It's a strange dynamic. I see people occasionally within this online community who at times don't seem to have a clue of their own traits and behaviors. Though I can't tell if this reflects a psychological consideration (denial and ego) or a neurological one reflecting a possible trait or behavior of HFA/ASD.

But I do feel that self-awareness isn't something you can export or sell to another. It's something that each of us must ultimately determine for ourselves. And for me it was not an easy process. But then I didn't begin to unravel this mystery of my life until I was in my mid fifties.

I can only say that IMO what you're asking about involves a number of complex considerations.

Last edited:
You could lead him to ASAN's webpage (Autism Self-Advocacy Network). It's run by autistic adults in order to help autistic people, both children and adults. You don't get the same focus on non-autistic parents and loved ones. I think they have a pdf file all about the difficulties (and positives!) of autism. It has some really helpful info!

I'm not sure this has to do with self-awareness. Maybe he just doesn't want to identify himself as autistic for the sake of the form and the university. After all, many autistic-spectrum people made it through college all right before aspergers was a diagnosable thing. When people know you're autistic, they treat you differently. Some people don't see you as a first-class citizen or think you can't make it through college. Some people will talk sing-songy to you like you're a child. Some people think you're dangerous or whatever. Maybe he just doesn't want that, and he may very well be able to get through college without people knowing he's autistic spectrum.
Welcome, by the way.

I agree. Maybe he does not want anyone to know. That shold be his choice

You could lead him to ASAN's webpage (Autism Self-Advocacy Network). It's run by autistic adults in order to help autistic people, both children and adults. You don't get the same focus on non-autistic parents and loved ones. I think they have a pdf file all about the difficulties (and positives!) of autism. It has some really helpful info!
Thanks! I didn't see a pdf file. If you have that specific link, I'd greatly appreciate it. The only thing I could find was this- About Autism

I was not diagnosed until my 50's and, as a mother of children who were challenged during school (one went on to receive a 4-year degree after 12 years in SPeD), I do not believe you should be explaining any diagnoses to a student -- especially without a parent's permission. In fact, you might have stepped over the HIPPA boundaries by sharing something with him that was not authorized.

I have never shared my (now grown) child's diagnosis with him AT ALL and, not everyone with High Functioning Autism or Asperger's is the same. While I made sure his school records indicated he progressed based on an IEP, I never disclosed to HIM what was going on.

Had someone else informed him, I would have been livid. I remember a discussion when I asked his teacher why he was never nominated for "student of the week" (or whatever -- he was 7).

She said, "Because until he learns to follow directions of the class, he won't be considered." When I asked if he was on track with his IEP and everything expected of him was being done, she said, "Yes." I then informed her that she most likely couldn't legally exclude him from the "honorarium," but I really didn't want to be curious enough to pursue it -- yet.

In my own case, unless I were to tell someone (or they were to read my writing), most would never know. In fact, after I shared my diagnosis, only one person who knows me well said, "Yeah, no kidding. I knew because I recognized it from my own child."

In your case, I'd start finding out if you have breeched the student's (or parent's) confidentiality and start asking forgiveness instead of explaining someone's diagnosis to them.

I can out explain my diagnosis to you -- and you still wouldn't understand. Speaking bluntly (on purpose or otherwise) can be so misconstrued by a rational/logical mind that you might have done more harm than good.

Thank you for your attempt to help someone; thank you further for doing more research on boundaries and guidelines.

I was not diagnosed until my 50's and, as a mother of children who were challenged during school (one went on to receive a 4-year degree after 12 years in SPeD), I do not believe you should be explaining any diagnoses to a student -- especially without a parent's permission. In fact, you might have stepped over the HIPPA boundaries by sharing something with him that was not authorized.

I have never shared my (now grown) child's diagnosis with him AT ALL and, not everyone with High Functioning Autism or Asperger's is the same. While I made sure his school records indicated he progressed based on an IEP, I never disclosed to HIM what was going on.

Had someone else informed him, I would have been livid. I remember a discussion when I asked his teacher why he was never nominated for "student of the week" (or whatever -- he was 7).

She said, "Because until he learns to follow directions of the class, he won't be considered." When I asked if he was on track with his IEP and everything expected of him was being done, she said, "Yes." I then informed her that she most likely couldn't legally exclude him from the "honorarium," but I really didn't want to be curious enough to pursue it -- yet.

In my own case, unless I were to tell someone (or they were to read my writing), most would never know. In fact, after I shared my diagnosis, only one person who knows me well said, "Yeah, no kidding. I knew because I recognized it from my own child."

In your case, I'd start finding out if you have breeched the student's (or parent's) confidentiality and start asking forgiveness instead of explaining someone's diagnosis to them.

I can out explain my diagnosis to you -- and you still wouldn't understand. Speaking bluntly (on purpose or otherwise) can be so misconstrued by a rational/logical mind that you might have done more harm than good.

Thank you for your attempt to help someone; thank you further for doing more research on boundaries and guidelines.

I haven't violated any HIPPA boundaries, but I appreciate your concern. I am his special education teacher and one of the goals we work on is self advocacy/self awareness and transition to college. It is part of my job to ensure that his transition to college is as smooth as possible and in college you have to be able to speak about your disability if you want to receive accommodations. I work closely with his mother and she knows we are working on self advocacy. As someone who has also worked at the college level, a student's understanding of their disability is crucial to be successful. The student needs to understand what they need help with and how to ask for that help.

I haven't violated any HIPPA boundaries, but I appreciate your concern. I am his special education teacher and one of the goals we work on is self advocacy/self awareness and transition to college. It is part of my job to ensure that his transition to college is as smooth as possible and in college you have to be able to speak about your disability if you want to receive accommodations. I work closely with his mother and she knows we are working on self advocacy. As someone who has also worked at the college level, a student's understanding of their disability is crucial to be successful. The student needs to understand what they need help with and how to ask for that help.

Thank you for your quick response. I apologize that I jumped to conclusions, as your additional information made me realize you trying to help. I have a great deal of respect for Special Education professionals (I was an advocate for the school), but I still question how much to "tell" someone -- lest their "symptoms" become something they get "stuck" on instead of being motivated to move forward, but it's not my place to second-guess a professional.

Again, I apologize.

I haven't violated any HIPPA boundaries, but I appreciate your concern. I am his special education teacher and one of the goals we work on is self advocacy/self awareness and transition to college.

Interesting point raised. According to the federal government, it appears educators at your level would likely be immune from such concerns.

Examples of organizations that do not have to follow the Privacy and Security Rules include:
  • Life insurers
  • Employers
  • Workers compensation carriers
  • Most schools and school districts
  • Many state agencies like child protective service agencies
  • Most law enforcement agencies
  • Many municipal offices
Your Rights Under HIPAA

New Threads

Top Bottom