• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

See my psychiatrist tomorrow.

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Last visit, was him trying to get me to take meds and failing, but got a promise from me that longevity of next appointment, to mediate on taking meds.

During that time, my brother came to visit for 3 weeks and it was incredably hard going for me. He is a lovely person, but it was too stress making and anger emotions were on a high.

In truth, at first, I felt it unfair that I should be the one to take anger meds, because my husband cannot control his anger and is even worse, but when I got to thinking about it, I had to face facts that I get angry so easy or frustrated and that does not make me good and meds I was taking took all that away.

So, have decided to go on meds to control my anger issues.

I probably will go back on: rispondone ( sorry for awful spelling), but I also think I need to go on beta blockers to control the anxiety ( rares up when routine changes), so although we are all different, anyone on a beta blocker with rispondone?

My husband kindly put a suggestion to me and that is, to get regular blood work done, to see how meds are affecting my body. I was on venlaxine, but my platelettes when drastically down and as soon as I decided to come off them, my platelettes went back up.

I really do not want to take medicine. I obhore them, but my stupid neuros will not let up and so, I must take meds to control things.

Wishing you the best, Suzanne.

I bet if you polled all the people on this entire forum, at least 4/5 of them are on meds or found meds helpful at some point.

I hope you don't feel any shame in "needing" meds. Because if that were shameful, 80% of us should be ashamed.

I see just two things to consider.

1) If a medication adequately addresses your expectations in mitigating unwanted traits or behaviors.

2) Whatever short and long term side effects there are relative to you taking such a medication.

No shame in the event a medication works to your satisfaction. I see that as a "win-win" situation.

Though being mindful that the second consideration is neither a simple, or necessarily obvious concern. An issue I could go into some detail over regarding the beta-blocker (Thioridizine) I once took that would eventually be taken off the market.

Last edited:
Meds are a blessing. The fact that we need them is a curse. :(

I've been pleased to be managing without antidepressants for the last six months, but this week I went to the doctor to refill my prescription, and to get something against anxiety besides. Gotta know your limitations, and I think I've well and thoroughly reached mine.

I looked this up and it is claimed it is not a beta blocker, but a psychotic drug to aid suffers from schizophrenia.

Yes, I'm aware of the present description of this medication. However I can only cite what my psychiatrist told me about Mellaril (Thioridizine) in 1982- not 2019. To be used as a beta blocker in my particular case given my social anxiety, having nothing to do with schizophrenia- or autism. Later a second doctor also sustained this same prescription a few years later. Again relative only to my social anxiety without any discussion of schizophrenia. I'm guessing that if either of my physicians thought I was schizophrenic, they would have shared it with me.

Unfortunately this medication caused people to have irregular heartbeats, and was eventually taken off the market altogether, some years after I had already chosen to stop using it. I think I took this medication for about eight to maybe ten years. For all I know it may have been repurposed some years later, though I can't speculate as to what both my doctors had in mind so many years ago. I'll never know for sure given that one would be dead from old age and the other likely retired if not deceased as well.

Like so many, prolonged use of this medication left me with Premature Atrial Contractions, (PACs) a type of skipped heartbeat I encounter ever so many months or so, but without any real issues. Not considered to be a serious condition by medical professionals I've asked as far back as 2002.

I suspect many patients must deal with the likelihood of their physician who may choose to "freelance" whatever medications they prescribe, whether they are deemed appropriate at the time or not. I know in my own case I had to go through a battery of medications before I found one that worked to my satisfaction that my physician would agree with. Though this was a very strong medication and while it worked, it also took away some of my personality while subduing my social anxiety over time. A major reason why I chose to stop using it.

One thing for sure, in the course of drug therapy I wouldn't assume whatever they initially prescribe for you will necessarily work. Like me, you may have to go through any number of medications before finding one that fits the bill. Whether it may or may not fit a specific purpose relative to your particular condition. I can only hope that drug therapy in the 21st century for you will be less precarious than it was for me in the 20th century.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom