• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Screaming

There is a therapy called 'scream therapy'
Letting loose at the top of your lungs in an organised set up with others.
This sounds very cool and encouraging. I don’t think I would actually participate, though, and just watch everyone else instead if I turned up. Lol.

Does anyone else enjoy screaming for fun? I really like to just let loose and yell at the top of my lungs. It is both exciting and helps me exert excess energy.

However, I was told recently by someone who cares about me that screaming for fun is unacceptable and I should definitely not be doing it around my kids. Has anyone else been told a harmless activity they do is wrong? What is so bad about yelling in my own home? I’m not angry or directing it at anyone. I’m just letting out some noise.
Yeah see that might be fun to you, but there's other people in the house. Maybe cheering would be more commonly accepted during daytime. I don't know. That just sounds like a situation where someone wants to be in the right for everything. You can't be right all the time, if your ripping eardrums out. I'm still doubtful though. I might not be speaking fairly for you. So take my response as light constructive criticism.

No ,I hate screaming, mine and other peoples'. Probably your friend wants to protect their hearing and blood pressure. Is someone haemorrhaging? Is there an impending tsunami? No? Then stop screaming.

You mean like a high pitched, terror induced scream?

I'm not sure I can remember the last time I did that, if I even have ?

I grumble or rumble like thunder rather than scream.

There is a therapy called 'scream therapy'
Letting loose at the top of your lungs in an organised set up with others.

That way, nobody else is alarmed, or calling the police or social services.

I wouldn't describe my screaming as high pitched, but I do go full volume. Scream therapy sounds fun, though usually my vocalizations are spontaneous and over rather quickly.

I wouldn't describe my screaming as high pitched, but I do go full volume. Scream therapy sounds fun, though usually my vocalizations are spontaneous and over rather quickly.

Have you ever tried singing?

Really singing?

I think there are studies to suggest that oxytocin is released into our systems when singing with great gusto along side others.

Both a release and a feel good all in the space of a few tuneful words :)

Definitely can't say I do that, I don't like loud voices, even talking voices. Much less screams. This being said, your home should be your safe haven, and if it's not ill effecting anyone, belt it out if it makes you feel better.

Maybe a howl or "wooooo!" Would be fine. Regular screaming is bad because someone might think there's an emergency or abuse going on, which will cause you to receive unwanted attention, or maybe no attention when it's needed.

I like screaming to get out my frustrations but I try to do other things. It seems the problem with screaming is it's not actually harmless, as it seems to upset other people. It may scare your children. If you are going to scream for fun I would recommend doing it when others aren't around.

just when i am angry or overwhelmed, or someone is tripping off my sensory issues. when i was younger, i would scream a lot at the people bullying me, but i am now in a situation where i can restrain myself from being socially innapropriate. screaming is not fun.

Does anyone else enjoy screaming for fun? I really like to just let loose and yell at the top of my lungs. It is both exciting and helps me exert excess energy.

However, I was told recently by someone who cares about me that screaming for fun is unacceptable and I should definitely not be doing it around my kids. Has anyone else been told a harmless activity they do is wrong? What is so bad about yelling in my own home? I’m not angry or directing it at anyone. I’m just letting out some noise.

i'm a quiet type of person so no i don't

Have you ever tried singing?

Really singing?

I think there are studies to suggest that oxytocin is released into our systems when singing with great gusto along side others.

Both a release and a feel good all in the space of a few tuneful words :)

I sing quite a bit, but it’s not the same. It doesn’t achieve the intensity I am going for.

at least from where I see it, screaming in of it's self isn't bad but like you said different situations so I guess it comes across to how others. Like when I was a kid my mom screamed a lot, only she did it at us and not with us.

Exactly, I scream with my kids. And we don't do it in public, only at home. It's just a way we have fun. I have also been known to shriek at the top of my lungs driving down the road with the music blaring, but once again I'm not affecting anyone else.

I asked why it's a bad thing and apparently my kids can get in trouble at school. That still doesn't explain to me why doing it at home is wrong, especially if everyone is enjoying it. Part of growing up is learning that different situations have different rules. There are times when laughing is inappropriate, but no one is suggesting that kids should never laugh. And I have heard children get REALLY loud when laughing and playing. That behavior is encouraged in the right setting, but screaming for fun is not. I just can't see the difference.

I cannot stand the screeching babies and small children make when I'm out anywhere and I rarely scream myself except when very emotionally disturbed. One time I was so upset and miserable over something I screamed like someone about to be murdered for longer than usual, and my throat was sore and my voice was scratchy for a couple of days.

It wasn't pleasant, but if I wanted to be a real jerk and a liar and fake illness to get out of doing something I'd just scream into my pillows until I hurt my throat and voice, and then call whoever up on the phone and tell them my throat really hurts, which would be true enough.:smilingimp:

New Threads

Top Bottom