• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School Report Card

MyLifeAsAnAspie

V.I.P Member
I finally found my school report cards. Here is the first report from my 2nd grade teacher (1964-1965). She was one of my least favorite. Think I might be on the spectrum :(?

MyLife is a bright boy who is not working up to capacity. His difficulty is that he does not pay attention. He prefers being by himself and does not work well with others. He doesn't follow instructions because he doesn't hear them. His reading (at his level) is good but he is far behind grade level. He needs to practice reading with expression and fluency. Mylife's language skills have improved but he must continue to work on speaking clearly and loud enough for his classmates to hear.

I love finding things like this. Yeah,...teachers, parents, doctors,...up until the mid-1990s were just generally unaware,...still are to some extent. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, feathers like a duck, bill like duck, webbed feet like a duck,...and had no idea what it was.:rolleyes::D

Reminds me of one of my middle school report cards. Where it noted a grade A, with comments #1 and #4 in my public health class.

Getting a #1 meant "effort excellent". However getting a #4 meant "conduct needs improvement".

Gotta love a teacher with such an objective outlook. :p

My parents never bothered to discuss the "4" when they saw the "A". :cool:

Last edited:
Can relate, plenty of commendation and high levels on the academic front but never high level for anything to do with conduct/participation in class. 'Needs to speak more' was a constant feature from every single teacher. And I can see how, as a teacher, having an unresponsive student can be difficult (but some of them weren't informed of my diagnosis/were informed but had little knowledge/training on how to apply this, so I was seen as a moderately 'troubled' student) but some of them saw it as a personal offense; I once got held back after a lesson for freezing when I got randomly picked on...

I was forever being told I'm not living up to my potential. That I didn't pay enough attention and that I was too easily distracted. Also I work too fast and make silly mistakes.

These are comments made by my superiors from school, through college, university - and now these sentiments are echoed by every manager I've ever worked for.

Ed

I was always "A pleasure to have in class; does not complete homework or assignments". There were also comments about needing to focus more, pay more attention, and apply myself more, but those were mostly to me directly rather than on my report cards. Comments on my lack of socializing tended to come from my schoolmates though, not my teachers.

All the comments my teachers made about me could always be boiled down to "too quiet." But I was good at getting As, and at least up till fourth grade I was cute enough that they'd rather fawn over me than give serious guidance.

I'm pretty sure two of my art teachers (I don't think it was a coincidence that they were both art teachers) had an inkling that I needed to get professional help. But even if they did tell my parents, my mother would probably take offense and remain in denial. That was how she responded when it was suggested to her that my father had OCD and needed professional help. (Though in fairness, the person who made that comment didn't have the best intentions and was basically trying to imply that my father was defective and deserved the cruel treatment directed at him.)

Yes I was strikingly advanced in reading progress whilst spending break times standing against the playground wall puzzling how anyone knew how to join in? Not that anyone noticed what we did in the playground, they needed their cups of tea.

I finally found my school report cards. Here is the first report from my 2nd grade teacher (1964-1965). She was one of my least favorite. Think I might be on the spectrum :(?

MyLife is a bright boy who is not working up to capacity. His difficulty is that he does not pay attention. He prefers being by himself and does not work well with others. He doesn't follow instructions because he doesn't hear them. His reading (at his level) is good but he is far behind grade level. He needs to practice reading with expression and fluency. Mylife's language skills have improved but he must continue to work on speaking clearly and loud enough for his classmates to hear.
I had quiet on the yearly school report for 12 years ,I wasn't gifted apparently had a good eye for proportion in art, everything else was mediocre but apparently no signs of autism, like sitting under the lunch table at school refusing to eat.

In middle school, I went through a difficult period, got bad grades and comments like: "she's a rather moody and erratic child who doesn't appreciate the value of tidiness" or, from the sports teacher "no natural talent." Also, comments about my bad handwriting. My high school ones were mostly about my being quiet and not participating, or lacking in confidence (anxiety, not talking). One teacher remarked on my tendency to misinterpret, another noticed that I was unhappy and said that if I had a problem I should talk to someone about it.

What I got from my middle school ones, which I was totally unaware of at the time, was how much my teachers seemed to dislike me.

Mine were similar...could do better...not quite fulfilling my potential...always something I had to change.
Always one that was really good...from the best teacher, and one that was really bad, from the worst.

In primary school (grades 1-8) my marks were always 5,00 (ranging from 1 (worst) to 5 (best)). Despite this teachers said that I have to put more effort, especially art and P.E. teachers that gave me 5 at the end of the year despite lower performance because they saw me as a gifted child in natural sciences and knew that having 5,00 is important to go to good high school. Then first year in high school, 9th grade my average was 4,79 becuase I had 4 in Croatian, English and History, but noone had problems with that because everyone knows high school is hard. Then in 10th grade i mannaged to have 5,00 again, mostly because of online school and easier chances to get a good mark. Now I'm 11th grade and expect to have around 4,75. I know what I'm going to study and my parents and teachers don't put pressure I should have all 5 at all. So, don't put too much pressure on your kids becuase it works unmotivating.

it could the label Autism or the label depression,the psyche is very powerful, for instance humans can be so frightened that they perspire blood,have asthma purely from the psyche (the Greek woman ),psyche means the soul .

New Threads

Top Bottom