• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School is Boring Because I Don't Feel Challenged

It's sad to say, but true, that in general, education on both sides of the Atlantic is not conducive to autistic minds. Like much of government policy, it is geared towards the lowest common denominator, even in schools which claim to cater for the gifted. As Aspies we often excel in certain areas but are below par in others. The system is geared towards addressing our weaknesses but pays little or no attention to building on our strengths. Many of us could be legends in our chosen fields, even if we may lack something in social terms.

My advise would be to go to job fares when you get the chance. Don't worry so much about school and don't get sucked into the college trap, unless you plan on doing something like engineering.

I really don't find school challenging at all. It's kinda boring. I have pretty much been doing the exact same since the first quarter of 9th grade: Study a just a little bit, take an assessment or test, crush said assessment/test. It gets kinda boring. I want my schoolwork to challenge me. I also get the correct answers in a shorter-than-usual amount of time compared to other students. You may be wondering: Why are you disappointing? You are the kind of student that teachers praise! Well, to answer that question, it's because it I am so smart (sorry if it seems like I'm bragging) it feels like I'm cheating, even though I'm doing all of the work myself. It kinda sucks, to be honest. I also have gained a reputation among my teachers that I am the most useful student, since I answer questions other students have (this is online school), and correctly, too. That also feels kinda boring. School is so easy for me right now, it kinda feels like I'm a much less physically invulnerable Saitama. I see a test, take it, ace it. It's boring. And I mean insanely boring. Anyways, do you feel the same way? Also, here is just a random GIF I thought I should just insert randomly because I found it online, and just wanted to spread it to other sites.
latest
I relate. Science in particular is just extremely dull. The teacher has noticed, and every now and again she brings me into a more advanced class, where I usually have a blast. Love the Saitama reference too.

My advise would be to go to job fares when you get the chance. Don't worry so much about school and don't get sucked into the college trap, unless you plan on doing something like engineering.
I'm probably only going to do an online college as a part-time student. My girlfriend wants to do something similar to that, too, so it'd work out if we end up living together. I'm going into more of a programming field, but might self-teach myself gunsmithing on the side. Gunsmithing is classified as an engineering field, I guess, since small arms innovations basically happen every other day because of the modern materials that basically everybody has access to now.

The system is geared towards addressing our weaknesses but pays little or no attention to building on our strengths.
The problem is that I can no longer find any weaknesses that I have when it comes to school. It's like there is a line that I absolutely can't find that would go between me being terrible at a subject and me excelling. It's as if the line isn't there at all.
Many of us could be legends in our chosen fields, even if we may lack something in social terms.
Yeah, I agree with you, mate. Here is what I said in my previous reply:
I'm going into more of a programming field, but might self-teach myself gunsmithing on the side. Gunsmithing is classified as an engineering field, I guess, since small arms innovations basically happen every other day because of the modern materials that basically everybody has access to now.
I could be a legend at either making games. At the same time, me teaching myself about how to make another thing I am passionate about, firearms, gives me something to fall back onto if making games doesn't go as expected, and I need a plan B. If I make a good enough gun, I could be the Mikhail Kalashnikov or Eugene Stoner of the 21st century.

I relate. Science in particular is just extremely dull. The teacher has noticed, and every now and again she brings me into a more advanced class, where I usually have a blast. Love the Saitama reference too.
I was in the more advanced class already...
"How many hydroxides would Sodium have?"
2 Hands go up
"Why is it always those few, we have done that for months already"

I don't think school is designed to challenge you exactly... schools are there to make sure all students have learnt what society expects them to know before you finish school so it's not a good set up for catering to individual student needs. I'm liking the suggestions that if you're bored/unchallenged that you should ask for extra work though. I agree with this. You should also tell your teachers that you feel like this too because I could lead on to you being put forward in the education process and so, hopefully in turn, more challenging work. Hope the real world isn't too much of a shock when you finally leave school.

I don't think school is designed to challenge you exactly... schools are there to make sure all students have learnt what society expects them to know before you finish school so it's not a good set up for catering to individual student needs. I'm liking the suggestions that if you're bored/unchallenged that you should ask for extra work though. I agree with this. You should also tell your teachers that you feel like this too because I could lead on to you being put forward in the education process and so, hopefully in turn, more challenging work. Hope the real world isn't too much of a shock when you finally leave school.
Yeah, but I don't feel satisfied after I've completed my schoolwork unless it has challenged me.

New Threads

Top Bottom