• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Saving the planet

I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread but I will say this. After I went through electronics/computer engineering school I used my skills to help and design better automated waste water treatment systems including systems for what everyone flushes down their toilets. It's private citizens that come up with the new and better ways to deal with pollution and waste. When you activists have done at least as much as I have for the environment then come and tell me about it.

Sure, and people drive to protest whatever is the current protest of the month. And people shut off their lights on Earth Day, and then put up Christmas lights for the entire month of December. And people ban straws, but also would rather have faux fur (plastic) than real fur (biodegradable).. And the list goes on and on... It's all nonsense, and most of it is just to create a whole new industry that generates more money..

In the meantime, nobody wants to address the underlying problem.. It's not all our consumption, it's how many people there are consuming.. The problem is 8 billion + people is just too many to maintain the biodiversity.. I mean, sure we could be more efficient about a lot of things, and maybe if we were, we could squeeze in a few more billion.. But sooner or later, it will not be sustainable. Due to our inefficiency, it already is unsustainable.. This problem was originally identified back in the 1800s, but nobody took it seriously then either..

"Save the planet" is also a bit of a misnomer. "Save ourselves" would be more appropriate. The planet will do just fine without us here. We're just a tiny blip on the history of this planet, after all.

Sure, and people drive to protest whatever is the current protest of the month. And people shut off their lights on Earth Day, and then put up Christmas lights for the entire month of December. And people ban straws, but also would rather have faux fur (plastic) than real fur (biodegradable).. And the list goes on and on... It's all nonsense, and most of it is just to create a whole new industry that generates more money..

In the meantime, nobody wants to address the underlying problem.. It's not all our consumption, it's how many people there are consuming.. The problem is 8 billion + people is just too many to maintain the biodiversity.. I mean, sure we could be more efficient about a lot of things, and maybe if we were, we could squeeze in a few more billion.. But sooner or later, it will not be sustainable. Due to our inefficiency, it already is unsustainable.. This problem was originally identified back in the 1800s, but nobody took it seriously then either..

"Save the planet" is also a bit of a misnomer. "Save ourselves" would be more appropriate. The planet will do just fine without us here. We're just a tiny blip on the history of this planet, after all.
Your comment about the Christmas lights is funny because it's true. Couldn't help but laugh when I read that.

This

Give up and die is sadly easier said than done. Even if your mind wants to die, your body really doesn't, making getting from alive to dead a rather agonizing, drawn out process. It's not easy to kill yourself. When the Big Collapse finally does come I suspect it will be billions dying of starvation and wars over the last remaining food sources-dying in a war is also a long drawn out thing, it can take a fatally wounded soldier 12 hours to die, listening to the groans of the likewise wounded. I've been wondering if an easier, less painful way to die could be jerry rigged through electricity or something.

Give up and die is sadly easier said than done. Even if your mind wants to die, your body really doesn't, making getting from alive to dead a rather agonizing, drawn out process. It's not easy to kill yourself. When the Big Collapse finally does come I suspect it will be billions dying of starvation and wars over the last remaining food sources-dying in a war is also a long drawn out thing, it can take a fatally wounded soldier 12 hours to die, listening to the groans of the likewise wounded. I've been wondering if an easier, less painful way to die could be jerry rigged through electricity or something.

You forgot disease.. Once people stop getting enough food, something as simple as the flu does a very efficient job of killing millions...

The world is now Deus Ex. There was even a raid on Area 51. I wish I could merge with Helios and take over the world. That would be cool.

Yeah, it makes 1 chuckle, for me I think there has to be a balance. Still you see all these people claim to support the environment but still fly to attend a protest.

Your comment about the Christmas lights is funny because it's true. Couldn't help but laugh when I read that.
This christmas I made an effort to go against the masses and didnt set light decorations at all, just other types. Mama earth deserves her own gift. Youd be surprised how many housefires are created from cheap lights without proper wiring sold off quickly for profit.

Yeh, a lot of contradiction. You get people who tell you they are doing their bit to save the planet' because they recyle or reuse plastic bags or use bamboo straws or coffee cups, and yet leave lights on in rooms not occupied, or throw away food, use their car for short trips or buy things that they don't need, or only use once, things like fashion clothes, which they then throw away.

The biggest issue right now is population growth and the energy it consumes. Consume, consume, consume. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. We are past the point of no return. It can't continue at this rate and be sustained. There will be war over resources, famine, social unrest leading to more war, disease, until only a few remain, then it will stabilize again, but things will never be the same. People in the future will look back on the 20th and 21st centuries with very mixed feelings - an age of huge technological advancement, but also one of excesses - excessive consumption and exploitation or the Earth's natural resources. A die-off, the sixth mass extinction event.

Ultimately, in a few billion years from now, the sun will begin to run out of fuel, swell up into a red giant and that will be the end of this planet. There's no saving it from this fate, though, until that happens, we have to try to live on it/survive somehow (edited)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom