• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Retrogaming

I wanted a Megadrive and to be able to play Master System games (I had a SMS console but it bit the dust) but I could never find one around here. You can find loads of Nintendo stuff and old Sony PSX's but good luck with Sega. I have never even seen a Dreamcast here in any secondhand or gaming shops.
I bought all my Sega stuff about 10 years ago - it seems to have disappeared since then. For the Megadrive to play Master System games you need the Master System converter hardware which is only compatible with the Mk1 Megadrive consoles - Mine is the only one I've ever seen. I have an almost complete set of Sega consoles.

I'm not sure where you are in the world but in the UK there are carboot sales that might still be good for finding things like this for next to nothing, however, retro gaming is a bit more hyped than it was 10 years ago so the prices might've been pushed up by people wanting to cash in.

I'm in a medium sized town outside Vancouver Canada. You're absolutely right, Axeman, retro gaming stuff has risen so much in price and the availability is lowered with time, of course. I'd like to do some serious thrift store or yard sale hunting sometime soon. I usually do keep an eye out when I get a chance to go thrifting but I don't go that often. Sometimes I find something good.

I want a copy of Earthbound sooo bad! Was thinking about that today again. There's so many games (and consoles) that I would love to get a copy of. I made a list of all my gaming stuff and put it on pastebin, heh. I was surprised when I looked at it again, I really have a lot of stuff. Game guides too. Still trying to decide if I should let it all go, or hang onto it a little longer.

Did anyone else try for a 'perfect' game, especially with RPG types? I used to get a new game, play through it, then I'd play through it again a second time but attempt to get everything perfect. A lot of games would have items hidden in certain places that you couldn't go back to after a certain point. So I'd play it through and figure it out myself, then get a guide or go on GameFaqs later for another runthrough, and get every single item or secret etc. I always kind of wondered how many other people did that.

Is there a 'What are you playing now' thread? I should look... I was thinking about asking if anyone else was on Steam, and see if anyone wanted to play any coop. Maybe there's a group already from the forums that plays together. It is so awkward being a noob, heh.

I was also wondering if anyone else played the game Dungeons of Dredmor on Steam. I have had it for awhile and I really like playing it, its a turn based crawler and it reminds me so much of retro games. Lots of fun.

Yep. I have to admit...I still have a love affair with certain very old titles. All running fabulously on a 2.4 ghz Pentium system, 1 mb RAM and an Nvidia GeForce Ti200 card on Win 98SE. And it ain't in the closet...but right behind me opposite my latest build.

Silent Hunter
European Air War
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003
IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
Pacific Fighters
NASCAR Thunder 2004
Red Baron 3D
Quake III Arena

I wish they still made a good amount of sports games for PC. EA used to release all their sports games for PC but don't anymore. For me, in particular, my favorite older PC games are the NASCAR racing sims for Papyrus. Particularly, I love NASCAR Racing 3, NASCAR Legends, and NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. Some of the EA Sports NASCAR games are good but I was never really able to get as into them as the Papyrus ones.

I've decided to beat the one game I could never beat as a kid.

15 minutes in, and I know why I could never beat it. And it's still hard, lol. Teenage mutant ninja turtles on the NES looks like it's supposed to be the prequel to Dark souls or something, hah. That swimming level is still utterly silly.

Up until this past March I still had my old systems which included Super Nintendo, sega genesis, n64 and whatever else. Gave it all to a friend of mine, never thought I'd part with any of it. I have the emulators on my computer so I guess I figured hey might as well save space now in my room. If I feel the urge to play super mario bros, sonic, earth worm jim, xtreme g racing or anything else, I'll just crack open some roms.

I'm still wondering if I should look for some old consoles. A few stores in my area sell old NES consoles and are totally clueless about the price of the games for it (read; they're relatively cheap there).

But given I don't game that much (I guess under 10 hours in 2 weeks; which Steam tells me) I'm not so sure if I should spend money on it for gaming sake rather than just the nostalgia factor of owning an NES with some games from back in the day.
Well you can use Buy Games and Systems | Used Video Games at Lukie Games as a guide for pricing for games. I am to buy games for their pricing or less. What neat about Lukie Games that after buying so many games, you can get free games. They also offer free shipping to USA and Canada. It a plus for me as it rare for USA to offer free shipping to Canada.

I have a dreamcast stashed in my closet, the godzilla destruction game for it is still one of my favorite games of all time.

You can. It called Power Base Converter Power Base Converter - Sega Retro
Yep, I have one of these. I think it only works with the model 1 megadrive/genesis (the larger one, with the headphone socket on the front), because all it really is is an adaptor - if i remember correctly, the master system electronics are contained within the console itself, and the later models don't have the master system electronics and that's why they are so much smaller.

EDIT: Nope, judging by your link I think I have that wrong - it's only the cards that aren't compatible with the 2nd model.

Yep, I have one of these. I think it only works with the model 1 megadrive/genesis (the larger one, with the headphone socket on the front), because all it really is is an adaptor - if i remember correctly, the master system electronics are contained within the console itself, and the later models don't have the master system electronics and that's why they are so much smaller.

EDIT: Nope, judging by your link I think I have that wrong - it's only the cards that aren't compatible with the 2nd model.
I see. I know it common for companies to have later models of systems with less features. Kinda defects the purposes of buying the later model.

I see. I know it common for companies to have later models of systems with less features. Kinda defects the purposes of buying the later model.
I think in this case the card format wasn't popular enough to be worth including in later models. I have never even seen one of the cards.

As I said, It appears I was wrong about the model 2 not being backwards compatible, although the master system converter that fits the model 2 megadrive is exclusive to europe for some reason.

I think in this case the card format wasn't popular enough to be worth including in later models. I have never even seen one of the cards.

As I said, It appears I was wrong about the model 2 not being backwards compatible, although the master system converter that fits the model 2 megadrive is exclusive to europe for some reason.
I see. I had a friend owned a master system and had one card game. But yeah, they didn't make many games in that format.

New Threads

Top Bottom