• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Retrocomputing / Retrogaming

Thanks for looking out for me. I've tried it but still didn't have a great deal of joy, the hard part is finding the firmware so that it can emulate graphics cards, etc. It was a while ago that I tried it though, maybe that's improved now. It really is a good emulation solution, it's just a matter of finding the firmware for it.

They're all on github! Someone just has the whole pack chilling out in the open if you google it

GitHub - BaRRaKudaRain/PCem-ROMs: This is a collection of requiered ROMs files for PCem emulator. RIP PCem 2021 -- I found it again, here it is!
:)

I'm about to give PCem another go. Thanks for that. And what it's really all about is NetHack played with the early IBM fonts, just how it was when I first played. :)

nethack_001.png

Thank you so much @AngelWitch, I'm now officially on a nostalgia trip. Just installed Dos6.22, about to install Win98se.

PCem's a bit of a flop, can't get it to access mounted drives properly. When searching for guides on how to use it I came across 86Box: Release 86Box 3.11 ROM set · 86Box/roms

It's much more configurable in a Linux system and it uses the same roms as PCem.

Looks like I'm not getting much sleep tonight. :)

Cheers.

How many of you are old enough to remember every computer shop in the world showing this screensaver in their front window?

screen29.jpg

I completely forgot about it until today when I went for another browse, a website I've had bookmarked for more than a decade. You'll be surprised at some of the stuff you can find in here, all free.

How many of you are old enough to remember every computer shop in the world showing this screensaver in their front window?

View attachment 110747

Yeah, this is extremely nostalgic for me. I always get warm and fuzzy feelings when I see anything from Windows 95 to XP graphics or screensavers.

Remember the one that looked almost like the Wolf3D engine, except there was no character or gun? I guess it was just a first-person maze screensaver, but it looked like it was supposed to be a FPS level from any of those games at the time.

images

I also don't know if anyone else remembers weird pockets in PC gaming history, but it seemed like everyone (at least in the US) had this one back in the day but now when you ask anyone if they remember it, it's like they all have collective amnesia about it. It felt so unbelievably immersive if you were a kid during those times, and it's even got some strange lore; some people claim to own the cancelled beta version on PS1, but it's never surfaced online (last time I checked). There's definitely something paranormal about this one, it just has those vibes. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely forgot about it until today when I went for another browse, a website I've had bookmarked for more than a decade. You'll be surprised at some of the stuff you can find in here, all free.

This place is the best. I just scooped up QBasic the other day (either from this site or a very similar one) because I wanted to load it onto my Genesis Mini (more nostalgia-chasing), but for some reason it's having trouble FTPing certain file types (executables and LIBs, mainly), and I genuinely can't figure out why.

but for some reason it's having trouble FTPing certain file types (executables and LIBs, mainly), and I genuinely can't figure out why.
Can you send them compressed as an archive and decompress on the genesis?

Can you send them compressed as an archive and decompress on the genesis?

Yes! That's actually what I've been trying to do, but it seems like DOSBox (the only thing I have access to aside from Retroarch on the Genesis end) isn't equipped with the standard DOS compression tools. I've even enlisted ChatGPT to help with any possible workaround and so far there doesn't seem to be one.

I got a .rar archive of it to upload to the Genesis (it also declined a .zip or .bin transfer), but it's apparently invisible to Retroarch, so I guess any hopes of extracting it are gone. I actually didn't think this would be so difficult in the beginning, but it's still worth the effort if I can eventually get that up and running!

retroarch I'm not familiar except for the arch bit. try a .tz archive, native to linux

I remember this site. Remember "Home of the Underdogs"? It's not what it once was, but I remember playing "Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity" from there.

I love retro gaming! The only "new" game I own is Elden Ring and Back 4 blood (was a huge left 4 dead fan, but played it solo and still enjoyed it, playing with others online makes me extremely anxious)

I will definitely post screenshots when I play some games I like

Yeah, this is extremely nostalgic for me. I always get warm and fuzzy feelings when I see anything from Windows 95 to XP graphics or screensavers.

Remember the one that looked almost like the Wolf3D engine, except there was no character or gun? I guess it was just a first-person maze screensaver, but it looked like it was supposed to be a FPS level from any of those games at the time.
I remember being convinced that there was secretly some way to actually play the Windows maze screensaver.

I think it was probably cuz I was a kid and reading about easter eggs and stuff in Microsoft products and learned there was a Doom-like game hidden in one version of Microsoft Office, so it would then seem natural that they'd put in some way to play the literal maze screensaver as an actual game.

I was just browsing abandonware again, there's a version of Wolfenstein that I never knew existed now available for free.

Another video of the Foenix F256K. If I had money I'd actually order one of these instead of gushing over the new videos that keep coming out :D

I use a MisterFPGA to emulate all consoles and computers, it uses an FPGA chip to emulate the original hardware of all retro computers and consoles so it's not software emulation which can cause controller/key input delay/latency. It can be expensive, but it is the best way to play old systems if you want the original experience working on CRT/Modern TV sets.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom