• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Retinal exam for ASD and ADHD?

I mean one could argue ADHD and ASD are one in the same thing. Atleast that's my opinion.
You could argue it but the diagnostic criteria are completely different. ADHD deals with epinephrine levels but there's no neurotransmitter associated with ASD. Medications that seem to allow some relief for ADHD are useless for ASD. No evidence at all that the two are the same thing.

As long as they don't give a rectal exam for ASD or ADHD. Because l probably would miss that appointment.

They are the "quacks" who disregard ASD1, because we are particularly good at masking.

Are they autistic, only their mother knows for sure. But l didn't catch it in my daughter. I thought okay you want to watch Wizard of Oz at least 25 times in one sitting? And you spend hours writing elaborate stories and you are only in 3rd grade. And we spent four hours making your birthday cake. Isn't that normal? Doesn't every child do that? ;)

Last edited:
The severe co-morbids of ASD2/3 are evidence of subsequent brain injury.

Im trying to understand what you mean here. What do you call brain injury? Or rather, perhaps, what is included in brain injury?

Are you talking about traumatic brain injury? Or do you include developmental “injuries” of the brain? Or am I missing this entirely?

I asked because I’ve worked with many autists in cats 2 and 3. Their comorbids are not due to what I would call brain injury.

But perhaps I am misunderstanding? It wouldn’t be the first time. ;)

Im trying to understand what you mean here. What do you call brain injury? Or rather, perhaps, what is included in brain injury?

Are you talking about traumatic brain injury? Or do you include developmental “injuries” of the brain? Or am I missing this entirely?

I asked because I’ve worked with many autists in cats 2 and 3. Their comorbids are not due to what I would call brain injury.

But perhaps I am misunderstanding? It wouldn’t be the first time. ;)
Dr. Martha Herbert has a more clinical theory, but here is my layman's summary:
  1. All autistics are ASD1 at birth.
  2. Autistics (& gifteds) tend to have an over-reactive immune system. (The condition is called "immune dysregulation.")
  3. We can be brain-injured by an undetermined, environmental insult that an NT's immune system would generally repel.
  4. Because of the global rise in severe co-morbids (not necessarily a rise in autism) after 1979, it is believed that the insult is recent and man-made.*
  5. On rare occasions, some have appeared to recover from such a brain injury.
  6. Without that insult, we would remain ASD1.
*Prior to 1979, autism that required special education [ASD2/3] was as rare as naturally-occurring triplets. Incidents were so few and far between that it was difficult to compare cases.
Special education did not (and does not) include ASD1s in their counts.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom