• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resurrecting A Very Old PC Joystick

Judge

V.I.P Member
Noticed that the joystick for my legacy PC was getting just a bit too loose moving back and forth, with a loose trigger button as well. I opted to open up my Gravis Blackhawk Digital Joystick and see if I could fix such problems. Hell the damn thing must be around 27 years old...and is more mechanical than electronic. Where some very basic parts are bound to wear out with time and use.

Seems all of them have a similar design and engineering with four distinct springs for the horizontal and vertical movement referred to as "drift". I took the springs out and stretched them, plus I added a felt a felt pad to compress each spring a bit more to make the feel of the joystick more stiff as it was brand new.

Also found that the joystick itself was getting a bit loose, so I used electric tape as a sort of "spacer" to fill in gaps that were creating excess movement. (A good joystick won't have so much play in it.)

Lastly the trigger button was loose, with too much lateral slack. It worked fine, but was becoming noisy. For this I simply used some very small plastic tubing, sliced off two very thin pieces and used them each as a washer to place on both sides of trigger button that allow it to swivel. Now it still moves as it should, but with no noise or excess movement at all. Success!

Not quite like "new" again, but it all worked to make it function much better than it had gotten over the years. Good for me, given there are fewer and fewer new joysticks out there that work for very old operating systems like Windows 98SE and Windows XP. And IMO they aren't the sort of thing you really want to buy used unless you are desperate.

The trick? If anything just make sure you take a long look at how "Humpty Dumpty" is put together BEFORE you start disassembling what are a few loose, moving parts inside. Certainly more complex than an old mechanical mouse.

41QPQFQ4K1L._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Noticed that the joystick for my legacy PC was getting just a bit too loose moving back and forth, with a loose trigger button as well. I opted to open up my Gravis Blackhawk Digital Joystick and see if I could fix such problems. Hell the damn thing must be around 27 years old...and is more mechanical than electronic. Where some very basic parts are bound to wear out with time and use.

Seems all of them have a similar design and engineering with four distinct springs for the horizontal and vertical movement. I took the springs out and stretched them, plus I added a felt a felt pad to stretch each spring a bit more.

Also found that the joystick itself was getting a bit loose, so I used electric tape as a sort of "spacer" to fill in gaps that were creating excess movement. (A good joystick won't have so much play in it.)

Lastly the trigger button was loose, with too much lateral slack. It worked fine, but was becoming noisy. For this I simply used some very small plastic tubing, sliced off two very thin pieces and used them each as a washer to place on both sides of trigger button that allow it to swivel. Now it still moves as it should, but with no noise or excess movement at all. Success!

Not quite like "new" again, but it all worked to make it function much better than it had gotten over the years. Good for me, given there are fewer and fewer new joysticks out there that work for very old operating systems like Windows 98SE and Windows XP. And IMO they aren't the sort of thing you really want to buy used unless you are desperate.

The trick? If anything just make sure you take a long look at how "Humpty Dumpty" is put together BEFORE you start disassembling what are a few loose, moving parts inside. Certainly more complex than an old mechanical mouse.

41QPQFQ4K1L._AC_.jpg
That’s a cool looking controller. Did you take any pictures while it was apart? That’s the only way I can rebuild anything and get most of the parts back correctly

That’s a cool looking controller. Did you take any pictures while it was apart? That’s the only way I can rebuild anything and get most of the parts back correctly

Nope. Thought of it, but I was too busy just trying to get the thing to work better than it was. But IMO it wasn't as complicated as I thought. Just took a bit of observing, particularly some small details pertaining to how the stick moves the horizontal and vertical axis. If you don't properly connect them when you test it in Windows, you'll lack movement of one or both. A mistake I made the first time I tried putting it all back together.

Nope. Thought of it, but I was too busy just trying to get the thing to work better than it was. But IMO it wasn't as complicated as I thought. Just took a bit of observing, particularly some small details pertaining to how the stick moves the horizontal and vertical axis. If you don't properly connect them when you test it in Windows, you'll lack movement of one or both. A mistake I made the first time I tried putting it all back together.
I would have liked to been into electronics repair before surface mount components became the mainstay on circuit boards. I really appreciate when a problem is mechanical so that I can see what might help

I would have liked to been into electronics repair before surface mount components became the mainstay on circuit boards. I really appreciate when a problem is mechanical so that I can see what might help

Good point. It's possible to visualize a mechanical problem compared to solid state electronics and computer hardware/software. A big reason why I'm willing to open up certain devices in an attempt to repair them in whole or part.

Though opening up a vcr....oh my! So many parts! But a PC joystick? Less parts than a DVD player. Worth investigating...especially if you play combat flight simulations, where you put a lot of stress on a joystick each time you use it. LOL, and a little weird using a joystick for Nascar 2004....but hey, I don't have a yoke.

Last edited:
Good point. It's possible to visualize a mechanical problem compared to solid state electronics and computer hardware/software. A big reason why I'm willing to open up certain devices in an attempt to repair them in whole or part.

Though opening up a vcr....oh my! So many parts! But a PC joystick? Less parts than a DVD player. Worth investigating...especially if you play combat flight simulations, where you put a lot of stress on a joystick each time you use it. LOL, and a little weird using a joystick for Nascar 2004....but hey, I don't have a yoke.
Yeah but I bet a vcr would be more fun to look at than a DVD player, I have opened a DVD player in the past year just to look and didn’t find anything I felt comfortable playing with lol. Not even sure that I took any parts to hoard. My brother had/has a drone and a drone sim , it’s not intuitive to me. I did like the flight simulator that you could get on mid 90s Windows. The Cessna and whatever the glider/sailplane (can’t recall how to actually classify but I feel it was standardly yellow) were my two favorites to fly when we’d figured it out.

New Threads

Top Bottom