• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Restless feelings with limbs

asman

I am just curious if this is AS related or not.
Every now and then I get this feeling where I have to stretch out my limbs and joints. It doesn't matter how much I stretch them, it is never enough. This seems to come and go for me. But when it does, it affects my sleep cause it is just such an uncomfortable feeling.
This doesn't only apply to the limbs. I get this feeling around my abdominal area as well. I need to take extremely deep breath to balloon up my stomach in order to stretch it out. At times, it gets to be so uncomfortable I need to hit my stomach just to ease the discomfort.

I'm not sure if i explain myself clearly or not. This is one of those things where it is hard to explain and you need to experience it to understand it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Hi

Yes I've had this on and off all my life, and I'm glad you mentioned it as noone has understood me when I've complained about it. I haven't had it in my stomach but mostly in my legs, sometimes i have to take a walk around my flat to ease this uncomfortable feeling. Ive read in a medical book, its called restless leg syndrome.

I am looking into yoga for the stretch benefits, there are some easy exercises.

Hi

Yes I've had this on and off all my life, and I'm glad you mentioned it as noone has understood me when I've complained about it. I haven't had it in my stomach but mostly in my legs, sometimes i have to take a walk around my flat to ease this uncomfortable feeling. Ive read in a medical book, its called restless leg syndrome.

I am looking into yoga for the stretch benefits, there are some easy exercises.
thanks for your reply, xXGrizeldaXx! i have been researching like crazy, and I did come across restless leg syndrome as well. I am not a yoga person, but perhaps, I should start doing daily stretches to see if it helps.

thanks for your reply, xXGrizeldaXx! i have been researching like crazy, and I did come across restless leg syndrome as well. I am not a yoga person, but perhaps, I should start doing daily stretches to see if it helps.

at least try to take a walk around the block for 20min if you can't be bothered doing Yoga

I sometimes feel that way when I am getting dehydrated. Do you get enough water, potassium, salt?
Best wishes

I sometimes feel that way when I am getting dehydrated. Do you get enough water, potassium, salt?
Best wishes
Water yes. not sure about potassium or salt. But I guess food nowadays, you can't away from salt, huh? :)

It happens to me too, on my legs and arms, mostly on the joints. The good thing is that it comes and goes, and must of the time is not there, but when it happens it lasts for some weeks or even months and it is very uncomfortable.

I eat 1-2 bananas every day because otherwise I get NO potassium in my diet at all, and potassium is very important for all of your muscles as it prevents cramping up, and I mean seriously potentially horrible cramps here. As long as you are not always thirsty and you eat normally or lots of junk food you are not short on the water or salt (and make sure you drink some actual water daily, not just stuff with water in it, your kidneys will thank you for this).

I'm always bouncing my legs, tapping my feet, clenching my fists, pinching my fingers, gritting my teeth, chewing on my lip...anything to let the tension out.

I also get a tightness in my throat to the point where I gag just from brushing my teeth. Or a heaviness on my chest like there's a heavy weight on me and I can hardly breathe. I have to breathe very, very deeply to help relieve that tension, and sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes it turns into something of a panic attack, even though this has happened so many times for decades now that I'm not really panicked, just feel like I can't get enough air. I'll actually be over-oxygenated from the deep breathing and still feeling like I'm about to suffocate. I've read that the best solution to this is to reduce the oxygen levels because I actually need more CO2 at that point, but just the thought of breathing in a paper bag or something can bring on a full-blown panic attack at that point!

What you said about stretching your abdomen really fits...if I can catch this thing early and focus on stretching my abdominal muscles during deep breathing without taking in significantly more air, I can usually relieve the tension without hyperventilating. Just the feeling of having stretched well helps relax the weighty feeling.

Thanks guys for all your replies! Glad to know that i'm not alone. I am still not sure if what i have is restless legs syndrome, but upon reading up on this, it seems probable.

It happens to me too, on my legs and arms, mostly on the joints. The good thing is that it comes and goes, and must of the time is not there, but when it happens it lasts for some weeks or even months and it is very uncomfortable.
damn! lasts for weeks or even months?? hasn't gotten that bad for me, yet. Definitely hoping i won't have to face this for weeks or months!

Thanks for the reply :)

New Threads

Top Bottom