• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resources for finding preschools for son?

dragonwolf

My son is potentially an Aspie, or ADHD (not sure yet, pending evaluation), and we've been having ongoing issues with his current preschool, because they're not equipped to deal with the issues he's been having (overstimulation, issues with activity transitions, etc).

My husband has been looking for resources for finding help, most immediately, preschools (but I'll take other resources, as well). This, of course, has led him to Autism Speaks. I'd prefer to steer him toward more actually ASD-friendly resources, but don't know of any, myself, that have what we need. The resources that I know of are more for advocacy/self-advocacy, and less for the day-to-day help that families could use.

Does anyone have any that I can start with, at least? If you know of any local/regional ones, I'm in the central Ohio area.

I just went on meetup.com looking for another Aspie group and found a local group that seems to mostly consist of parents, and their website with all kinds of local events. If you live near a sizeable city you might be able to find something from that site, I've found all my local resources via meetup.com.

Luckily, the ideal preschool doesn't have to be a preschool designed specifically for Aspies, and the best director/teachers need not necessarily have heard of ASD.
From my experience in preschools, (I'm a preschool teacher who's subsituted in many different preschools)The best preschools just happen to be the best preschools for Aspies as well. The best preschools for Aspies are the preschools that are the best preschools overall. Unfortunately, many people can't judge how good a preschool really is. (They will all tell you they're the best around).

Look for a preschool where the physical environment (rooms and building and outdoors) itself is sensory friendly, (gentle colors, for example).
Not like this:
Interior-design-for-colorful-preschool-room-ideas-.jpg

Like this:
244266433_qsqEh8yo_c.jpg

Or like this:
DSCN4674.jpg

or this:
images

Not only is such an environment ideal if you son has sensory issues, but it has been my consistent experience that such an environment is a sign of a director who genuinely knows early childhood, and of a good preschool.
Also, even the NT children are quieter and better behaved in such sensory friendly environemnts. This means that the children themselves will be part of a more Aspie friendly atmosphere.

The environment itself (by which I mean the classroom, the outdoors pace) will tell you a lot.
It is also best to find a preschool where the children stay with the same teacher for a long time.
A high rate of turnover among the people working there is a red flag :(
Try to find out whether the people working there are genuinely nurturing. I guarantee you that such a nurturing attitude will translate into understanding and acceptance of a child with a difference such as Aspergers/Autism.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom