• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research Project on ASD and Relationship partners

autbunout

Forgive me if this isn't allowed, or the wrong place. If so, tell me and I'll take it down.

I heard about a research study going on that's looking at people on the spectrum with relationships(romantically). I initially thought I couldn't do it, because I'm not native to the area. They're a research lab called "Autism Social Development Lab" from University of Tennessee. When I called them, it turns out you can actually do the whole interview over the phone, so you don't even need to be local/a resident of Tennessee.

It was nice. Whole thing took about forty five minutes I think. It was confidential, they asked if my partner would also be interested in commenting(it was a survey type deal 'What do you and your partner agree on? What do you frequently disagree on' etc) and he was. They're doing this study so that they can better understand how romance works for people on the spectrum, and how to give people on the spectrum the skills they need to succeed, as well as being able to educate their partner or potential partner on what -they- need to be aware of, and adapt to, and change in order to make it easier on them.

I thought it was really nice. They're approaching it from a view of "hey you know there are adults on the spectrum too, right? It doesn't just end at childhood. These adults have interests too. Romantic ones. They need skills yes, but have you ever considered that maybe their neurotypical partners need educating and a different skillset as well?"(my words, not theirs.)

So, if that sounds like something you'd be interested in being a part of, and you're between 18-30? As long as you have a relationship with someone romantically(or have had) I think you qualify! I attached the flyer they gave, it has the contact info. If you can't see it, you email Erinn Finke at [email protected] (she said it was okay to give that email out, and it's on the flyer.)

Figured I'd let everyone know. Thanks.

Attachments

• Research_Flyer-romance_project.png
    Research_Flyer-romance_project.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

New Threads

Top Bottom