• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research done testing a tool to find undiagnosed ASD prisoners in a Scottish Prison

Loomis

There have been concerns that individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are over-represented but not recognised in prison populations. A screening tool for ASDs in prisons has therefore been developed.

Results

2458 prisoners were screened using the tool, and 4% scored above the cut-off. 126 prisoners were further assessed using standardised measures. 7 of those 126 assessed scored 32 or above (cut-off) on the AQ. 44 interviews were completed with prisoners' relatives, no prisoner reached the cut-off score on the ASDI.

Pretty interesting, they did not find any.

PLOS ONE: Evaluation of a Screening Instrument for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Prisoners

Re: Research done testing a tool to find undiagnosed ASD prisoners in a Scottish Pris

There have been concerns that individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are over-represented but not recognised in prison populations. A screening tool for ASDs in prisons has therefore been developed.

Results

2458 prisoners were screened using the tool, and 4% scored above the cut-off. 126 prisoners were further assessed using standardised measures. 7 of those 126 assessed scored 32 or above (cut-off) on the AQ. 44 interviews were completed with prisoners' relatives, no prisoner reached the cut-off score on the ASDI.

Pretty interesting, they did not find any.

PLOS ONE: Evaluation of a Screening Instrument for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Prisoners
I very recently concluded a lot of aspies are at a big disadvantage socially to the point we may need to sing a different tune, so to speak. That is, try to seek success in ways that don't involve any form of group esteem or public feedback. You see, a lot of aspies are capable of great accomplishments if they go via the back door. For example, Bill Gates (who we assume has aspergers) didn't exactly work with the system and actually dropped out of Harvard. The fact he went his own way and followed his natural inclinations led to the creation of the Microsoft corporation and I'll bet at the time a lot of people viewed him as a college drop-out.
My view is I don't any longer try to "go with" the system in such as way as I allow it to drag me down or call me a failure simply for being different. I prefer to listen to my own instincts and work hard doing stuff my own way rather than allow myself to get bogged down on not being the same as others (which may lead to social isolation and failure).
Many people in prison might have some sort of disadvantage either dyslexia or hidden autism.

Re: Research done testing a tool to find undiagnosed ASD prisoners in a Scottish Pris

I think so too, Total Recoil. We need to write our own life scripts according to how we define success. The system wasn't built by or for people like ourselves & with its very heavy dependency on social interaction, we're at a disadvantage at every level from Daycare through University.

I think so too, Total Recoil. We need to write our own life scripts according to how we define success. The system wasn't built by or for people like ourselves & with its very heavy dependency on social interaction, we're at a disadvantage at every level from Daycare through University.
I'm afraid the system is no longer anything I can relate to or identify with. I would go so far as to say, I think the current system is self-defeating by emphasising the wrong priorities. In fact, I believe Einstein already wrote about this and I think in the sixties there was more awareness of what I refer to. Anyway, my belief is the emphasis on materialism as an indication of social sucess is hugely flawed as is the by-product of competing for resources which will normally and inevitably promote greed, conflict and division and so on.
To get back to the point of the post, a very large percentage of people suffer difficulties due to being at odds with the system. I can also think of scores of people who were told they'd "never be any good at" such and such a thing. Heavens, even the first sub 4 minute miler Roger Bannister was told he'd best pack in running as he "didn't have the build for it".
Truth is, the most valuable members of society are usually the ones who don't fit.
Possibly the most famour aspie ever Socrates was really a bit of a drop-out and inevitably rejected by his country for supposedly corrupting young minds with his philosophical teachings (that rejected the gods). Maybe the gods of today are somewhat identical.
You could say I don't "do" systems as no system is going to work for everyone which is why a lot of people appear to be failures (maybe they believed they were).

New Threads

Top Bottom