• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relativistic time perception

I don't know if this is related by I have a brilliant memory which freezes things in time. For example I will remember a school friends house in great detail. Now, 30 years later, I will think they still live in that house (although they have long since married and had kids) and that the house looks the same. I have to work hard to get my mind to accept all this has changed.

Does anyone else get this? Please let me know because I am interested if this is an aspie trait.

I don't know if this is related by I have a brilliant memory which freezes things in time. For example I will remember a school friends house in great detail. Now, 30 years later, I will think they still live in that house (although they have long since married and had kids) and that the house looks the same. I have to work hard to get my mind to accept all this has changed.

Does anyone else get this? Please let me know because I am interested if this is an aspie trait.
I kind of do. I can recall my friends houses from childhood. I sometimes will associate the friend with the house b/c the two are linked in my mind. Also this is the first place I knew them from so that may make the association stronger. I am not sure if this an aspie trait.

You're bringing up some intriguing topics. I think whenever I've been in an interpersonal situation where I missed something big I repeat it and analyze it in my mind in order to understand what I missed and why. My TOM is more declarative than implicit. Because it's a learned skill I believe I have gotten better at it over time. i.e. (two often shared aspie deficits that I've read about) I used to find it very hard to tell the difference between when a girl was flirting with me or just talking to me. Also I would say things when I meant no offense but upon reflection I could tell were really really offensive. I still do these things but I think I have learned a lot based on past experience and can apply that knowledge. I never really thought that NT "normal" TOM was a reflexive, but that makes perfect sense. I don't know how verifiable the study was but I read somewhere that aspie mirror neurons don't operate in the same way as a NT. Normally, if a NT saw an emotion or situation someone was having their mirror neurons activate and they will 'feel' that same perceived emotion(s). Aspie mirror neurons activate at a much lower level. That seems like something that could impair TOM.
I like hearing this Richard Feynman talk about physics. He did about an hour interview that survived and is on youtube if you haven't seen it.

The correllations are quite striking, Cory - there are definitely neurological differences between Aspie and NT brains - I'mimmensely pleased that professionals are finally thinking more about 'differences' rather than just 'deficits'. We do OK under difficult circumstances, and when the barriers are removed, or at least lowered, we can excel like few others. I love listening to Richard Feynman - he was an extraordinary man. His biography "Surely, You're Joking, Mr Feynman" is well worth a read. (The bongo-playing physicist is hilarious when he talks about his time working on the Manhattan Project - spending his spare time picking all the desk and filing cabinet locks in the base at Los Alamos!)

The correllations are quite striking, Cory - there are definitely neurological differences between Aspie and NT brains - I'mimmensely pleased that professionals are finally thinking more about 'differences' rather than just 'deficits'. We do OK under difficult circumstances, and when the barriers are removed, or at least lowered, we can excel like few others. I love listening to Richard Feynman - he was an extraordinary man. His biography "Surely, You're Joking, Mr Feynman" is well worth a read. (The bongo-playing physicist is hilarious when he talks about his time working on the Manhattan Project - spending his spare time picking all the desk and filing cabinet locks in the base at Los Alamos!)
Thanks for the book recommendation. I read something where they came to the conclusion that aspie brains are underdeveloped in certain places; but at these regions the aspie brain works much much more efficiently than a NT brain. Differences in the hard wiring they concluded. I also see the image of some sort of (visual?) stimulation done while taking an MRI. The aspie brain lit up like a christmas light in a line on the right hemisphere extending from the pre-frontal cortex all the way through the cerebellum. The NT brain lit up maybe 30% as much.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I read something where they came to the conclusion that aspie brains are underdeveloped in certain places; but at these regions the aspie brain works much much more efficiently than a NT brain. Differences in the hard wiring they concluded. I also see the image of some sort of (visual?) stimulation done while taking an MRI. The aspie brain lit up like a christmas light in a line on the right hemisphere extending from the pre-frontal cortex all the way through the cerebellum. The NT brain lit up maybe 30% as much.

I'd like to sse that! Always makes mee feel good, when I think about my brain lighting up!

Yes I am like this. Sometimes I like to lie there and "walk around" houses in my head, I can spot every detail to the wiring, the stitching on furniture, cracks in the wall. I thought everybody could see the past like this until I was speaking to my partner who it seems has aphantasia and doesn't see images in his mind at all, which I cant even comprehend.

Recently a house went on the market on a property site and I looked at the images and was shocked when I saw it didn't resemble the house I knew as they had new furniture, painted everything, dug the whole garden up. It felt weird.

My memory is 'backwards'. It seems NTs remember the general thing. I remember a detail and work till the event. For example I remember one sentence someone says. Then I might remember the table. The color of the chairs or floors, what room it is, and work toward what the event was. NTs remember it as seeing the event first and then work toward the details.

My memory is 'backwards'. It seems NTs remember the general thing. I remember a detail and work till the event. For example I remember one sentence someone says. Then I might remember the table. The color of the chairs or floors, what room it is, and work toward what the event was. NTs remember it as seeing the event first and then work toward the details.
Man! this rings a bell - I just know when someone is talking to me, I'm going to remember the most obscure facts about the conversation only... nothing useful like their name, where we met or anything remotely useful....

I can't remember driving to work today, but I did it. I can although recall a lot of conversations I've had in the past in great detail because I don't always catch body language. I end up memorizing the conversation so I can play it back in my head later and ruminate over the meaning behind different things people say. especially if what they said can be taken multiple ways. I have to study context. I also can remember where almost everything in my house is, I've always done that. As a kid my Mom would be looking for something and I would run down to the basement, find the box it was in and grab it and bring it to her. Today my wife will can call me at work and ask where is such and such, and I will say, on the third shelf down in the garage behind the box of ornaments.

When it comes to time, I've often thought it was an illusion caused by the movement of clustered particles. Let me say it this way, if you could create a machine that you could step into and everything outside the machine would rearrange all the molecules in the cosmos to be exactly the same as they were on February 12, 1865 at 12:35pm and then you stepped out into that world. All the people and places and things would all be the same as they were "then" ... would you have traveled back in time or not?

New Threads

Top Bottom