• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relationship between Aspies? Possible?

tsukaima

Warning: a bit long.... sorry

I may be jumping the gun here a bit but my "best friend" and I have recently been looking at various Asperger's syndrome issues and have mutually self-diagnosed. I know there's the danger of an incorrect diagnosis, but there seems to be some pretty strong evidence. In both of our cases, we've had previous diagnosis made a number of years ago that just "didn't fit". Myself, I was told I was ADD non hyperactive, and she was told she was a sociopath (literally!) After seeing Aspie information, it seems to fit much better.

We have both taken a number of the online tests and I score basically as exhibiting both aspie and neurotypical traits, though more aspie than not. She scores strongly aspie, like nearly 100% on every test. So.... that makes me rethink a lot of things. Her too, it seems.

See, we've been friends for about 10 years. We met in college. Oddly enough, even our meeting falls into a potentially aspie situation. Both of us are pretty insistent about sitting at the front of the room near the professor. In one particular class, the professor was at the corner of the room... so I naturally went for the seat closest to him, since if I sat too far away I would get distracted. Well, that was the seat SHE wanted, and she wouldn't have it. So I moved over ONE space on the bench and we sat arm to arm for the entire semester and fought over the space basically. Considering the classroom was a small lecture hall with a total of 10 students, there was no reason for us to sit that close except that we both refused to admit defeat and sit farther away I liked her, of course, and couldn't say anything... but I did ask her to study together once, and it turned out we studied together perfectly. We made everyone else in the study group mad and they left, but we both managed to get along perfectly fine.

Now, for the next ten years we've basically been each others closest friends and confidants. Our families both think of us as a couple, people ask us how long we've been married. But really, early on she basically said she wasn't into relationships, and I was just happy to have a friend like her.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being a burden and go hide for a while, and when that happens, she calls or asks me to come over so I feel like I'm not. She depends on me and I depend on her, and we argue at times (as you can imagine) but we are each other's best friends.

Really, I don't know how she feels now. After 10 years you think I'd know, but well... here's the problem.. Every example of aspie relationships I read about, it's one half of the relationship with communication issues... but here it's both of us! I always thought that if a relationship was going to happen, it would develop with time. I think that it HAS developed with time but neither of us is able to actually verbalize and commit that to being reality. I think she has more of a problem with it than I do, but I have my own problems. As long as there's no "relationship" in the room, our "relationship" is fine, if that makes sense. We don't even have sex (which I'm strangely okay with on a day to day basis, but it would be nice you know). After 10 years, that's not much progress!

And then start reading articles about relationships with Aspies... and one after another I basically saw people telling our story. A couple, but not one that will ever go anywhere... forever courting basically, but going each to our own homes and never marrying or having children. And that made me cry because I was reading our story.

I love her very much. I just don't know how to tell her when she is just as or more afraid to open up than I am. Whenever such topics come up, she usually just changes the topic. Admittedly, I have never just come out and told her fully how I feel. When I've tried, even in roundabout ways, it hasn't gone well.

Before learning about Asperger's I had quite a long time ago accepted that we were just friends and that would be it. But even as just friends, we have been growing closer over time. I don't want to lose that. Now I understand maybe better what's going on between us, I think maybe there's some hope? It seems like her attitude is changing as well. She seems more willing to at least acknowledge our closeness and how important it is to her.

So, now I'm beginning to wonder if A) there's hope and I need to come up with some way to help both her and myself communicate and "work on" moving forward and not sitting in neutral for another ten years, or B) I should give up and just move on. Is it even possible for two people with these kinds of issues to progress in a relationship or am I just dreaming?

Some people might disagree with me but still... can you talk to you friend about it, honestly, just sort of, where the relationships are going, can you guys take it to a different level, tell her that you love her etc. even though you do have to have a fair amount of confidence and self respect for that, not everybody can do it, because there's a chance she might not feel the same way, or...not feel the same way yet. But I think the situation has to become clear for both of you sake. I had a friend for several years, many people speculated we're a couple even though on occasion I would go out with someone else or disappear, but I think some believed we would end up together. Then I told him, I was getting married and expected him to be happy for me, because to me he was just a friend, well it was quite the opposite, he didn't even show up at the wedding... I would never be able to know what was going on, nor that I would want to. But there's never been any clarity in our relationship. I think you need to see where you both stand. but you know... maybe one day everything will develop into something naturally, you can always try to hold on to this hope but there's no guarantee. But, I hope, other people have something to say as well...

New Threads

Top Bottom