• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relating to Other People On The Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentHnau

Exploding Radical
I've two questions for people who feel that they generally cannot relate to other people:

1. Do you feel that you can relate to other people on the spectrum (in your school, support group, this website, Youtube videos, etc.)? A little, a lot?

2. Have you noticed that there is any difference in how well you relate to people at various places on the spectrum (for example, classic autism vs. PDD-NOS vs. Asperger's Syndrome, or just based on your own observations of how severely affected they are if you don't know their diagnoses)?

It depends on the person. Very much on the person.
I've met some people on the ASD spectrum who I connected with and even got close to, and I've met others who annoyed me.
But I understand pretty much every person I've met who's on the spectrum, even when I don't like that individual.
With NTs, there have been some individuals who I connected with and even got close to, and others with whom everything was painful.
But there were only some individuals who were NT whom I have understood.

1. I do feel I relate much better to others on the spectrum. I still have some problems expressing myself accurately, but others on the spectrum are more understanding and can often "get" what I mean. People on the spectrum have either similar interests, or at least interests I find stimulating to some degree. They also seem to talk about more important things than do NTs. Oh, and they can usually tolerate periods of silence without feeling the need to fill it with nonsense talk.

2. I haven't noticed a great deal of difference based on my perception of where they might be on the spectrum (I rarely have someone's full diagnosis at hand). I have found that I do more tolerating of certain behaviors of those farther along on the spectrum, but we still seem to relate well enough ... better than with NTs. I have not had experience with those who are deeply autistic though.

Do you feel that you can relate to other people on the spectrum (in your school, support group, this website, Youtube videos, etc.)? A little, a lot?
On a lot of physical problems I feel I can relate a lot. I'm still undecided on emotional issues and opinions. I definitely get along with people here much better than trashy sites like YouTube or Cracked, I'm not sure anybody can get along with others in Trollopolis sites like those!

Have you noticed that there is any difference in how well you relate to people at various places on the spectrum (for example, classic autism vs. PDD-NOS vs. Asperger's Syndrome, or just based on your own observations of how severely affected they are if you don't know their diagnoses)?
I am a LOT more blunt and distracted here than I am elsewhere. I had read that autistic folk tended to be harshly blunt, had trouble taking offense over nothing (or so how I call it with past experiences with other people), and often wandered into tangents. I figured I could be myself without anybody getting annoyed or anybody thinking I wished to deface their grave someday by some random thing I said. Workin' out that way so far!

Well so far I have not probably met a person with aspergers but even if I did I'm not sure if I would heavily empathise with them. One of my Problems itself is the inability to clearly empathise but I would be able to relate to them based on the similarities of problems faced.

It depends on the person. Very much on the person.

^ This

Though here's something interesting that came up last night when talking to an aspie friend of mine. I wonder how much my aspieness makes me connect to people here or even him, or that it's just that certain aspects my personality makes people on the spectrum (and I can't really speak out for people on here) feel more in tune with me (and vice versa). Granted, that I do have more ASD friends than I have NT friends, one can wonder if I mix in because of my AS or that I'm just a certain type of person that seems to get along with other types of people. For one, I do know, that I don't get along with everyone on the spectrum (in fact, there's a reason I'm not on a dutch autism forum; I couldn't connect to the entire bunch there).

I wonder how much my aspieness makes me connect to people here or even him, or that it's just that certain aspects my personality [/QUOTE]
Think I'm digressing slightly from original question but glad you mentioned personality, I am struggling with personality v Aspergers. To give an example my daughter (who doesn't think she has Aspergers) is always saying that a lot of people at her school annoy her, including her friends. (Incidentally she uses the word annoyed an awful lot.) I am wondering whether she gets annoyed 1 because she can't relate to them ie due to Aspergers 2 these people are genuinely annoying to most people 3 whether it's just her being a teenager or 4 is it down to personality and she would be annoyed regardless. She often comes across as moody but again is that Aspergers or personality, I really don't know

I don't relate to anyone as far as groups go. Tastes and opinions aside, they all seem alike: unlike me. I only relate to a handful of individuals.

People on the spectrum are someone I am willing to talk to because they are interested in interesting things. I deal with NTs all the time and I get exhausted of showing my teeth during conversation that lack any intelectual reference. My brain is like a train of information that stops to many many places at a stonishing speed and sometimes I lose the grip on it because it just keeps going no matter what day or hour it is. People here may have the same issue or not but they understand. I can't be sincere with NTs because they are tightened in social protocols and their minds don't accept any deviation.

I don't have problems relating to either NT or Aspies, however, I find that people on the spectrum seem to have easier time following me than NTs.
Based on the small amount of people on the spectrum that I've met, I'd say I have easier time relating to the ones who were Aspies rather than the ones ones with other forms of Autism, even if their AS is rather severe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom