• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Referral

jimited

V.I.P Member
Well today my therapist has sent in a referral for me to be tested for aspergers which is good news for me, but my therapist also said that they don't treat aspergers in my area, so if i do get a diagnosis for aspergers im going to be still stuck in this rather large hole i feel im stuck in without any help. Has anybody else been in the same situation and did you find a solution?

I am seeing an art therapist who doesn't specialize in asperger's and she seems to be pretty good. But in regards to an actual psychiatrist who specializes in asperger's I don't think that's gonna happen. I am on medicare and the public mental health here isn't very good, in spite of my living in a somewhat large city. It is frustrating, but asperger's is only starting to gain attention. I went to a lecture the other day, the disscussion was mainly about stroke survivors, the speaker was the first stroke survivor to be on I think it was the national heart association board. There was some talk about advocacy, there was a man there who is in politics, and he said that if that we have to keep bugging the polititians in our communities if we are gonna get the attention (or resources) we need. The problem is we as aspies have trouble with communication, so it makes it difficult for us to be our advocates, so it seems to be more the non-aspie parents and teachers of aspie children doing the alot of the advocacy. If we want more help I guess we got to get loud, and in the meantime, just try to offer eachother as much support as possible. But I think right now one of our greatest resources is other aspies.

I totally agree. We need to become our own advocates. That means attending talks and forums on autism and not just leaving it to the parents and other family members. Politically, I don't know what can be done in that area. I think we have to be very careful that we present a dignified and positive image because all too often the impression people have is that we can't control ourselves and that we are prone to meltdowns. So demonstrations and picketing might not be a good way to go.

Yeah I don't mean making a fuss like that. The guy at the talk said he didn't want say "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" but that's basically what he was saying.

New Threads

Top Bottom