• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reevaluating Work | Life

Thanks, it`s ok, I was just a little stuck. :) It could have been worse. Lefthanders are used to accidents. But anyway, I`m off topic in your thread, let us know if you get any good news about that thing you talked about. Volunteering as an assistant. And good luck.
Thank you so much. I will. And, it's ok that you are off topic. I tend to do that from time to time, too. : )

I am wondering if you can also contact either the appropriate authority at a local library, community parks and recreation center, homeschooling group, arts and crafts stores, boy and girl scouts club, 4H group, YMCA, hardware and home improvement store, community fair, and/or a community college, etc., to tell them of your interest in instructing a woodworking class for children, either during the spring, summer, or virtually, whether outside or in.

There are a lot of children these days that want to be more active, creative and/or hands-on during the pandemic, so I think many such places would be open to your great idea. See any such opportunity-paid or unpaid- as a possible future new related job opening for you. Positive word of mouth spreads! And if all else fails, yes, certainly you can create your own private teaching venture, whereby you do woodworking instruction 1-1, or to small groups, after advertising and getting the proper permits and such. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am wondering if you can also contact either the appropriate authority at a local library, community parks and recreation center, homeschooling group, arts and crafts stores, boy and girl scouts club, 4H group, YMCA, hardware and home improvement store, community fair, and/or a community college, etc., to tell them of your interest in instructing a woodworking class for children, either during the spring, summer, or virtually, whether outside or in.

There are a lot of children these days that want to be more active, creative and/or hands-on during the pandemic, so I think many such places would be open to your great idea. See any such opportunity-paid or unpaid- as a possible future new related job opening for you. Positive word of mouth spreads! And if all else fails, yes, certainly you can create your own private teaching venture, whereby you do woodworking instruction 1-1, or to small groups, after advertising and getting the proper permits and such. Good luck!
These are excellent ideas, most of which hadn't crossed my mind. I appreciate you taking the time to share all of this with me, 1ForAll! I will definitely research these resources.

By the way, it is so nice to see you. I haven't seen you around, for quite some time.

These are excellent ideas, most of which hadn't crossed my mind. I appreciate you taking the time to share all of this with me, 1ForAll! I will definitely research these resources.

By the way, it is so nice to see you. I haven't seen you around, for quite some time.

Thanks! I have been a little busy behind the scenes with family responsibilities, and in helping a few others, but I should be back posting more when I have a bit more time. I still read the posts daily, and reply to messages I feel I can contribute some information too, or relate to very well.

I did also relate to your post as I took several woodworking and metal shop courses in high school, and I initially majored in Modelmaking at a community college, whereby we created replica smaller scale model projects of full scale items using a variety of wood, metal, plastic, paper and other craft materials. We had to take several drafting courses for that major as well.

From what I understood at that time, had I graduated with just that two-year degree and rare major, I would have been high in demand by employers, as those skills and services were high in demand then, and as very few colleges instructed such. I failed miserably in class for the presentations though, so I changed my major to liberal arts, and then to math, transferring to a university for the final two years for the latter.

I have no regrets though in changing that course. I see each new path in life as a great opportunity, and potential success, and I no longer fret about negative things. Life is too short to worry about our past mistakes, choices, or negative things. I have no control over most of that. I can only learn from things and try my best at the time, after much open-minded thought, and make plans and act, which I always will do.

I will hope for your best. You have a great idea, and I think there are several ways to accomplish that, as mentioned :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I have been a little busy behind the scenes with family responsibilities, and in helping a few others, but I should be back posting more when I have a bit more time. I still read the posts daily, and reply to messages I feel I can contribute some information too, or relate to very well.

I did also relate to your post as I took several woodworking and metal shop courses in high school, and I initially majored in Modelmaking at a community college, whereby we created replica smaller scale projects of full scale items using a variety of wood, metal, plastic, paper and other craft materials. We had to take several drafting courses for that major as well.

From what I understood at that time, had I graduated with just that two-year degree and rare major, I would have been high in demand by employers, as those skills and services were high in demand then, and as very few colleges instructed such. I failed miserably in class for the presentations though, so I changed my major to liberal arts, and then to math, transferring to a university for the final two years for the latter.

I have no regrets though in changing that course. I see each new path in life as a great opportunity, and potential success, and I no longer fret about negative things. Life is too short to worry about our past mistakes, choices, or negative things. I have no control over most of that. I can only learn from things and try my best at the time, after much open-minded thought, and make plans and act, which I always will do.

I will hope for your best. You have a great idea, and I think there are several ways to accomplish that, as mentioned :)
Thank you for sharing this, and for your words of wisdom and positive wishes!

Hi Loren, I`m just curious how things are going, have you had any good news or found something interesting? :)
Thank you for inquiring. Not as of yet. My neighbor is a 3rd grade teacher, and knows of another teacher who is in need of an assistant and will put me in touch with her, in the next couple of days. I, also, met someone who restored and converted an old school bus into a mobile woodworking classroom for kids. I had a look inside, a few days, ago. It is so neat. There are 10, separate little areas for each child to work within, although they are not walled off, of course. Each space is complete with tools and other items. It got my wheels turning, although, of course I wouldn't attempt to copy/ do the very same. More than anything, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what he did. Thank you, again, Forest Cat. :herb:

Hi Loren, I`m just curious how things are going, have you had any good news or found something interesting? :)
I was just notified that my woodworking class is clear to resume, next week, so, I am going back to work at the school. I am very happy!

I thank you, and everyone, again, for your support and most helpful suggestions. :herb:

I was just notified that my woodworking class is clear to resume, next week, so, I am going back to work at the school. I am very happy!

I thank you, and everyone, again, for your support and most helpful suggestions. :herb:
That is so nice to hear. I am always amazed at projects students can undertake. In Mundelein, Il, a shop class builds planes for people. Friends got me into woodworking and I have built two cedar strip canoes and two kayaks.

This was a quincidence, I was thinking about this thread yesterday, I was wondering how it was going. That's good news. :) Good luck with everything.

That is so nice to hear. I am always amazed at projects students can undertake. In Mundelein, Il, a shop class builds planes for people. Friends got me into woodworking and I have built two cedar strip canoes and two kayaks.
Thank you, Gerald! That's awesome, regarding that shop class. I would love to observe them making the planes. Do you happen to know what type(s) of planes they make? I have viewed photos of, at least, one of your canoes and it is exquisite!

This was a quincidence, I was thinking about this thread yesterday, I was wondering how it was going. That's good news. :) Good luck with everything.
That is, indeed, a coincidence. : ) Thank you so much for thinking of it, and, for your good wishes, Forest Cat!

New Threads

Top Bottom