• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reevaluating Work | Life

Loren

V.I.P Member
Im not sure what my reason for writing this is. I don't know if I'm looking for support/ advice, or, I just want/ need to talk about this. I don't know where I'm going to go with this, either.

My job situation has changed so much, within the past year/ 2 years. I was/ am a woodworking teacher for grades K - 5, and I'm a draftsperson, assistant and whatnot, to a couple architects. My teaching job came to a halt, and my other work became limited, as the result of the pandemic.

Up until very recently, I've had hope and a positive outlook about everything returning to normal, eventually. I have missed working with kids, most of all / to the point that I can see just how important being around them (and having the opportunity to enrich their lives in some way), has meant to me, and to my psyche. I have been feeling down, loosing some hope, experiencing a lot of uncertainty, of late, although, attempting not to.

School has been back in session, as of October, with the exception of some arts and music classes, mine being one of them. My class was scheduled to resume after the winter break, however, then came a new variant and another surge. I have been getting more work at my other job, within the past week, which I am grateful for, but, I am also thinking about, how I could possibly start my own business, teaching woodworking, as I feel as though I cannot be sure when (or if), my classes will resume, at this juncture. I am just not sure how I would go about doing this, and, to be honest, I have so enjoyed working in an elementary school environment.

Anyway, I think my lack of contact with kids is beginning to catch up with me. They make me feel grounded and happy. I am in my element when I am surrounded by them, perhaps as I feel more like a child than I do, an adult.

That's all.

Thank you for reading/ being here.

It's kinda of bizarre how covid made everyone re-evaluate their lives. One person l know became less accessible because of covid and l may not have met them at all during the lockdown phase. We have a basket of unknowns. As being on the spectrum, we don't do exceptionally great with unknowns or changes in our schedule.

Maybe you are facing these unknowns and feeling a tab distressed about changes that you are contemplating currently. Should l do this, will this job pick-up hours. The problem with covid is simply - is it over, is coming back? And a lot of changes have followed. It's a lot for all of us to digest.

But maybe others at the forum have a way more constructive outlook. I feel wishy washy about being forced to re-evaluate everything.

It good to just talk/write.

Sometimes I write long emails... that I never send.

My work has continued, but the type of work done, how it's done and where it's done has changed dramatically to the point that I'm not sure if it's even really the same job.

I've been reading a fair bit of philosophy the past several months - the most recent being Seneca's On the Shortness of Life. I'm not sure I've necessarily found any answers, but I have found a lot of things to think about.

Im not sure what my reason for writing this is. I don't know if I'm looking for support/ advice, or, I just want/ need to talk about this. I don't know where I'm going to go with this, either.

My job situation has changed so much, within the past year/ 2 years. I was/ am a woodworking teacher for grades K - 5, and I'm a draftsperson, assistant and whatnot, to a couple architects. My teaching job came to a halt, and my other work became limited, as the result of the pandemic.

Up until very recently, I've had hope and a positive outlook about everything returning to normal, eventually. I have missed working with kids, most of all / to the point that I can see just how important being around them (and having the opportunity to enrich their lives in some way), has meant to me, and to my psyche. I have been feeling down, loosing some hope, experiencing a lot of uncertainty, of late, although, attempting not to.

School has been back in session, as of October, with the exception of some arts and music classes, mine being one of them. My class was scheduled to resume after the winter break, however, then came a new variant and another surge. I have been getting more work at my other job, within the past week, which I am grateful for, but, I am also thinking about, how I could possibly start my own business, teaching woodworking, as I feel as though I cannot be sure when (or if), my classes will resume, at this juncture. I am just not sure how I would go about doing this, and, to be honest, I have so enjoyed working in an elementary school environment.

Anyway, I think my lack of contact with kids is beginning to catch up with me. They make me feel grounded and happy. I am in my element when I am surrounded by them, perhaps as I feel more like a child than I do, an adult.

That's all.

Thank you for reading/ being here.
Perhaps there is someplace you can volunteer to work with children? They probably still need substitutes for regular classes and you'd be perfect.

It's kinda of bizarre how covid made everyone re-evaluate their lives. One person l know became less accessible because of covid and l may not have met them at all during the lockdown phase. We have a basket of unknowns. As being on the spectrum, we don't do exceptionally great with unknowns or changes in our schedule.

Maybe you are facing these unknowns and feeling a tab distressed about changes that you are contemplating currently. Should l do this, will this job pick-up hours. The problem with covid is simply - is it over, is coming back? And a lot of changes have followed. It's a lot for all of us to digest.

But maybe others at the forum have a way more constructive outlook. I feel wishy washy about being forced to re-evaluate everything.
Thank you. Yes, I think you've described it perfectly.

Last edited:
...My work has continued, but the type of work done, how it's done and where it's done has changed dramatically to the point that I'm not sure if it's even really the same job.
This is how things have evolved with my assistant job. It can feel quite unsettling. I hope things normalize with your job, very soon.

Your last paragraph has inspired me to do the same.

Thank you very much for your input!

Last edited:
Perhaps there is someplace you can volunteer to work with children? They probably still need substitutes for regular classes and you'd be perfect.
Thank you! I've, actually, inquired about volunteering as an assistant in a classroom, and I am, currently, awaiting word. Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate it!

Last edited:
I've been reading a fair bit of philosophy the past several months - the most recent being Seneca's On the Shortness of Life. I'm not sure I've necessarily found any answers, but I have found a lot of things to think about.

Now there is a name I have not heard in quite a while.
Its amazing what people are reading and the references I get in here on the Forums

I`m sorry to hear you are having a difficult time, covid is wearing people out. It changed so much in peoples lives, for a while I was thinking it would soon blow over but then it just kept going and going. I`m tired of it too.

I didn`t know that you are a woodworking teacher, that`s very cool. :) I`m impressed. Are you one of those wood-working teachers who are missing a finger because of a band saw incident? ;) Starting your own business teaching woodworking sounds like a good idea, but I know it can be difficult to get it started. Don`t lose hope, things are hard now but things change eventually. As Au Naturel said, volunteering to work with children could be something, maybe it will make you feel better. I see you have a inquired about it, good luck with everything. I hope you get some good news.

View attachment 74692
Thank you very much, for your kind and encouraging words. I appreciate them very much.

No, I haven't lost a finger, however, I have sliced off the edge, at the very tip of my right, index finger with a Dexter mat-board cutter, when framing a rendering. Perhaps another hazard of being left-handed. ; ) The only power-tool I use in the classroom is a hand drill.

Thank you, again!

Your post reminded me of a man I saw on t.v. The story was about the summer day camp he ran that encouraged kids to be self sufficient. Woodworking was part of that. The show host was freaking out a little that children were using knives and saws! Haha!

I wonder if a summer day camp idea might work for you too? Maybe just a morning session over a month or something? Parents always need something for their kids to do in the summer. Most want their kids to learn skills and self sufficiency!

I understand. I am no teacher but I have presented and helped out with HS Earth Science classes and introduced 5th graders to Aquatic Macroinvertebrates. Those experiences have left me energized.

I hope you will find a way to work with students again.

Your post reminded me of a man I saw on t.v. The story was about the summer day camp he ran that encouraged kids to be self sufficient. Woodworking was part of that. The show host was freaking out a little that children were using knives and saws! Haha!

I wonder if a summer day camp idea might work for you too? Maybe just a morning session over a month or something? Parents always need something for their kids to do in the summer. Most want their kids to learn skills and self sufficiency!
Thank you, Suzette. This is a very good idea! And, thank you for sharing the story about the teacher. I would love to do something like that.

That`s good, my woodworking teacher in secondary school had 9 and a half fingers. :) Band saw incident. That mat-board cutter incident sounds very unpleasant though. We lefties always have more accidents. I once got stuck in a power belt sander, one of those big strong ones. It`s very cool that you are a woodworker.

Again, best of luck with everything. I do hope you get some good news soon and things take a turn for the better.

View attachment 74704
Thank you, Forest Cat, for your kind wishes! That is such a lovely good luck card. Thank you very much! :tulip:

That's too bad about your woodworking teacher's finger. How did you get stuck in a power belt sander, if I may ask? I hope you didn't get hurt.

Last edited:
I understand. I am no teacher but I have presented and helped out with HS Earth Science classes and introduced 5th graders to Aquatic Macroinvertebrates. Those experiences have left me energized.

I hope you will find a way to work with students again.
Thank you, Gerald. I truly appreciate your sentiments.

How wonderful that you had that experience, and that it left you feeling energized. I know that feeling. I hope you'll have more of those opportunities in the future. : )

And when I tried to turn around my hand got in the way and that darn thing pulled my fingers into it and I suddenly had a belt sander attached to my hand. Like Edward Scissorhands, just less cool. :) It was not pain-free but I still have 10 fingers so it worked out.

Sounds like you were making a smooth move!:p

That`s a good question, how can someone get stuck in a belt sander. It was an industrial strength belt sander, for use on log cabins and such things. The handle and everything was designed for right handed people of course. So I was holding it a little wonky, the wrong way.

And when I tried to turn around my hand got in the way and that darn thing pulled my fingers into it and I suddenly had a belt sander attached to my hand. Like Edward Scissorhands, just less cool. :) It was not pain-free but I still have 10 fingers so it worked out.
That must have been extremely painful. I'm sorry you had that experience. And, I am glad you still have all of your fingers.

I feel more like a child than an adult too :)

I like the suggestions you’ve been given here! I think volunteering with kids would really bring some happiness back into your life. This has been a really challenging time for all of us, especially as Aspies. I’ve been trying to re-evaluate what I want to do with my life too.

I really hope you’re able to find some kids to work with who will make your heart happy :) You’re a special person and you deserve it. Your messages on my statuses always make me smile :)
- Luca

I feel more like a child than an adult too :)

I like the suggestions you’ve been given here! I think volunteering with kids would really bring some happiness back into your life. This has been a really challenging time for all of us, especially as Aspies. I’ve been trying to re-evaluate what I want to do with my life too.

I really hope you’re able to find some kids to work with who will make your heart happy :) You’re a special person and you deserve it. Your messages on my statuses always make me smile :)
- Luca
This means so much to me. Thank you, Luca. I am glad if I have made you smile. You've made me smile, too. :)

Thank you very much, for your words of encouragement. I think you are a special person, yourself, and I hope you will do whatever it is that makes your heart happiest, too. :hibiscus:

This means so much to me. Thank you, Luca. I am glad if I have made you smile. You've made me smile, too. :)

Thank you very much, for your words of encouragement. I think you are a special person, yourself, and I hope you will do whatever it is that makes your heart happiest, too. :hibiscus:
Thank you, this means a lot to me too <3
Hope you find an opportunity to work with kids soon!! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom