• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recurring dreams

Adora

Besides nightmares that I have I also at times get recurring dreams,I tend to dream either about common things like water and elevators but another recurring dream I notice I seem to have when I feeling stressed or anxious a lot in real life is I dream I am trying to escape earth on a spaceship and go to another planet far away,I’m just wondering do you have recurring dreams and what do you think they are linked to?

I have recurring dreams of being in difficult or stressful situations beyond my control such as having to look for a suitable place to live or not being able to pay rent. Also, travelling.

I have recurring dreams of being in difficult or stressful situations beyond my control such as having to look for a suitable place to live or not being able to pay rent. Also, travelling.
Yeah I have actually had those situations in real life especially the rent and suitable housing and those memories can trigger nightmares aswell.

When I'm stressed I have a recurring dream that I am trying to run away from some sort of unidentified monster, but it's like trying to run through treacle. Very unpleasant. Sometimes though I realise I'm dreaming and am then able to fly away.

As a child I had a recurring nightmare where I was on a little boat lost in a maze of grey water with lots of little floating grey islands. Even as an adult remembering that dream gives me the horrors.

A more happy recurring dream is meeting my childhood best friend in a chocolate shop and the two of us just eating all the chocolate. No idea what that's abut, but it's great.

The most prevalent recurring dream I have is of the apocalypse. The world is ending in some horrific way, be it either tornadoes, the ground giving way, floods, alien invasions, zombie plague infestations... reality just splintering away in many different ways. Buildings all around me crumbling. Planes falling out of the sky. In a lot of them I'm trying to save my family, but they just won't listen. I can never run, it's as if my legs don't work. I can never scream, all that comes out is a hoarse strangled whisper. In the last few years I've learned to remember that they're dreams and I can change the outcome a little bit. I can usually fly away or perform some sort of magic. But only to a certain degree. I can never stop the event.

The happier dreams... if you can call them that, are those where I see the family I've lost. I know I'm dreaming and usually I know they're gone, but a part of me is trying to save them, prevent them from getting sick. They're somewhat happy dreams because I can see them one last time, even if it's not real. In dreams is probably the only time I can actually cry for their loss.

These are all linked to stress and anxiety and depression... which unfortunately is present most of the time...

I apologise for the depressing post by the way...

My dream were never realy elaborated, or at least the dream I can remember.
The weird part is that I have concrete memories of dream I had years ago and it felt like it realy happened to me. I mean the way I remember my old dreams isnt different from the way I remember other old memories.

I had recurring dreams as a kid :

Recurring themes : being chased by miss piggy , being chased by something/dog , falling/loosing touch with the ground.

But I also had real recurring dream, like exactly the same dream that involved the same sequence of events.

They vanished after I realized I was in a dream and purposivly trigger the chain of event leading to the end of the dream. I dont know how I managed to know I was in a dream, but I guess seeing the same exact thing so many times make it easier to see you are in a dream?

My dream at the moment are very very very rare, not rich at all, but the recurrring thing is that I feel like I am being searched by the police and that I am hidding a crime, 2 days ago I had a corpse in my bag xD

Miss Piggy litteraly haunted my childhood dreams, well it was nightmares, and just seing an image of "her" even today makes me feels realy weird/uncomfortable.

This is an interesting topic i'd like to talk more about that. Most of the dream I remember are nightmares , and the other kind is at least very weird and dark , but they doesnt make me feel scare, more like uncomfortable or disgusted.
And one last kind of dream I have is related to my needs, like dreaming that I pee and actually peeing in my bed ( I did that a few months ago) or also dreaming of drinking or eating especially when I try to be on a diet.

And also I have alsmot no sound in my dream most of the time, sometime I did but more when I was youger.

edit : hehe I didnt write what I wanted to write in the first place, here it is =>
Maybe having a recurring dream is because you think about the same thing and it didnt evolve, like a thought process that is not resolved? Or you are facing the same problems?

When I was younger my days were realy more organised by school and family and I had recurring dreams, today my life is a mess and I dont have them...

Last edited:
I started dreaming much less over the years, and my dreams never repeat. But it does happen rarely to me that a dream sort of continues from a dream from years ago. Yes, my dreams can often have complicated stories

I dream a lot that I'm moving in with my mom (she died 10 years ago). It bothered me for a while and then I realized that it's related to feeling like I've moved into her spot in the family.

I have recurring dream that I am back at my old job with Caterpillar. We charged our customers by the hour, so it was very important that the service techs filled out time cards every day. In my dream, I was working and not filling my time cards out. I could not figure out why I wasn't getting to trouble for not filling out time cards. For the last eleven years I have worked for myself and do not fill out time cards. The dreams have started since I started working for myself.

In a interesting side note, I was talking to a old friend who is in the same situation as I am, works for himself and not filling out time cards any more. When I told him about my recurring dream, he said he had the same dream. I said that maybe I wasn't so weird after all, since I had the same dream as someone else. He assured me that wasn't the case and that I was pretty darn weird.

I've dreamt many times that I was Spider-man. I think it's linked to the fact that I like Spider-man and would like to have sex with him. :rolleyes:

I've dreamt many times that I was Spider-man. I think it's linked to the fact that I like Spider-man and would like to have sex with him. :rolleyes:
Spider-Man was one of my fictional crushes and yeah I use to sometimes have dreams of him.

New Threads

Top Bottom