• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

RECENT OPTIMISM WITH AGORAPHOBIA ^^!!!!

spitz

on a flying saucer safari
i dont know where or who else i could tell about this but i have had pretty bad debilitating agoraphobia for 5 years but for the last 6 or so months ive been really trying to get myself to push myself out of my comfort zone and do things like everyone else seems to be able to do effortlessly, (started therapy and meds!) i was able to make myself go out with some friends for the first time in years! and i went to one of my favourite bands live shows! and i coped fine enough??!!!! im trying to face and deal with my anxiety instead of running away from it like i used to, its been a lot harder than im making it out to be in this post and i still havent done 'that much' in the grand scheme of things but im feeling way more optimistic with my future! i have noted some places and things i wanna do down (some shops/ parks/ movies!) and im going to make an effort to go to them for the first time by myself, i want to try explore!!!! Im just really proud of myself for getting to this point and wanted to share LOL. my heart goes out to everyone whos dealing with anything similar, love u all <3

Spitz, if you keep this sort of thing up, you'll be holding a job & being happy & enjoying yourself. Good luck. Agoraphobia is the worst.

This is really remarkable, and gives others hope here who struggle. Do you reward yourself with a pep talk after you accomplish this great goal? I am hoping it gets a tab easier every single time you do it until you gotta it.

Fun events have truly changed my life, in my city there are a lot you can go to, I found a news site which posts continuous ones, from bands to movies specifically for historical, traditional, seasonal stuff, it's fun as heck and piled with people, and impressively enough I started to enjoy that atmosphere. Keep it up, it's totally worth it.

This is really remarkable, and gives others hope here who struggle. Do you reward yourself with a pep talk after you accomplish this great goal? I am hoping it gets a tab easier every single time you do it until you gotta it.
hehehe i havent done that as it felt like a thing i should have already mastered under normal circumstances but ive grown to terms with the fact that i cant change the past & to do what i can now, THANK YOU SO MUCH 4 UR KIND WORDS i promise i'll congratulate myself like that more now!!!
Fun events have truly changed my life, in my city there are a lot you can go to, I found a news site which posts continuous ones, from bands to movies specifically for historical, traditional, seasonal stuff, it's fun as heck and piled with people, and impressively enough I started to enjoy that atmosphere. Keep it up, it's totally worth it.
that sounds so nice!! im rlly happy to hear u enjoy the atmosphere now! im starting to grow an appreciation for small things that i can experience only when im out (sounds silly but people watching can get pretty funny) im super excited to find places like this myself, thank u for ur encouragement <3

i dont know where or who else i could tell about this but i have had pretty bad debilitating agoraphobia for 5 years but for the last 6 or so months ive been really trying to get myself to push myself out of my comfort zone and do things like everyone else seems to be able to do effortlessly, (started therapy and meds!) i was able to make myself go out with some friends for the first time in years! and i went to one of my favourite bands live shows! and i coped fine enough??!!!! im trying to face and deal with my anxiety instead of running away from it like i used to, its been a lot harder than im making it out to be in this post and i still havent done 'that much' in the grand scheme of things but im feeling way more optimistic with my future! i have noted some places and things i wanna do down (some shops/ parks/ movies!) and im going to make an effort to go to them for the first time by myself, i want to try explore!!!! Im just really proud of myself for getting to this point and wanted to share LOL. my heart goes out to everyone whos dealing with anything similar, love u all <3
Aww yay I'm so happy for you :3 <33 Yo I've struggled with this formerly as well, pretty much the same thing as you! Even a childhood fear of swimming and the ocean that I have also gotten over. I hope your carpe your diem <3

Sometimes l am scared of dark ocean water, because my mind draws schools of sharks looking for snacks swimming next to me. It's a fear l have. Good point @georgiagalaxy

Sometimes l am scared of dark ocean water, because my mind draws schools of sharks looking for snacks. Good point @georgiagalaxy
Yo I used to have the same sorta feeling! Even in the bloody bathtub when all I had was toys, I was afraid there were little fish or sea monsters going to eat me. It's like an Alicorn Princess who's fought giant villanous beasts (not naming any names) being afraid of ladybugs XDD

Awesome, been working on the same thing. The anxiety has been easy to cope with, but the overall energy cost remains similar. I'll always need preparation before and rest after for simple trips others can do on a whim. It's a good thing the solitary lifestyle is a natural fit for me so this doesn't impact my happiness that much. I'm glad simply to know I could do it if I tried.

@Knower of nothing

I have plans for trips, l look for places to de-stress at airport. I map out all sorts of possibilities. I try to have backup plans, and charge cords, phone numbers. I have always planned around my anxiety which made me an excellent paralegal. I had OCD about things not being done, delivered, sent, stamped, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom