• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reasons to Not Self-Harm

On topic: I didn't end up self-harming, mostly because the effort of going to a store to buy a lighter was too much, and then my medication was adjusted and I felt okay. :)

I would not want to do it, the fact people want to be in pain is not a good idea, why can’t they do something they enjoy instead of something that is hurtful? But then again, it is their choice.

I would not want to do it, the fact people want to be in pain is not a good idea, why can’t they do something they enjoy instead of something that is hurtful? But then again, it is their choice.
They don't want to be in pain! While I agree it's not the best coping mechanism and a choice; it's not a choice as such where there are other viable options, otherwise people wouldn't do it. It's not like it's something they do to entertain themselves. (Well maybe some people, but the majority doesn't.) To speak for myself: I'd self harm if I felt like I was in so much mental pain that I needed relief (kind of like when you have a headache and you stub your toe really hard, you forget about your headache for a second) and I felt there were no other options to feel better in that moment (or ever). So not fun.

This is a difficult and sensitive topic... I would encourage people who comment here to be empathetic with this, because some of the comments I'm reading are akin to saying to someone with depression: "Just smile! Get out more! Choose to be happy!" ... It doesn't always work that way. Self-harm is a deeply complicated issue, often brought on by trauma and abuse. Sometimes it's the only way to deal with something someone can't communicate in a more healthy and sustainable way. Until they find a healthy way - self harm might be the only coping mechanism they have.

So, please, be kind to one another and think about the words you use. Thank you.

If you're overwhelmed with rage/anxiety/depression/suicidality and you self-harm, breaking skin, your brain releases a rush of hormones to assure you that you're okay, that your cut is not going to kill you. This provides tremendous relief from the feelings described. I often laughed/grinned/sighed/cried in relief.

Same can be said for many forms of self-harm, that's just the one I've done most often.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for this behavior, just explaining why it may be done.

Last edited:
Your post title asks for reasons not to.

Don't have any profound reasons.
(how I feel on reading accounts isn't relevant)

Mechanics - Injury switches on bodies natural pain killers. System flooded with temporary relief from ...whatever...

I had to understand the gains before the reason.
What's in it for me? What do I gain from x,y or z and be okay with that,
Before I could do anything else.

Went through a bit of a phase in my teens, more so my late teens, whereby I'd never felt more alive than when there was a risk of death, albeit slight.
Not synthetic drugs or cutting.

(My job, the environment and the people)
A playground for unnecessary risks.
Driving way too fast, drinking far too much (not at the same time)pushing boundaries and buzzing from the natural high created.
I stopped when it was no longer fun. (at that level)
Started questioning the risk against the gain.
Had to see what I gained from it before understanding why I did it.

New Threads

Top Bottom