• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

quick hello and a work stress q

cricket

hi everyone. For the last couple of years I and various medical practitioners have been struggling with trying to solve what is causing my insomnia and social anxiety and freakouts relating to travel and over socializing. (Prior to that time my life was normal except for a bout with cancer.) I haven't been formally diagnosed but feel that I meet quite a few of the criteria for aspergers..can this happen later in life?

Anyhoo..getting a referral to a psych tomorrow and will ask if this is a possibility.

Current situation- Having made it with a few wobbles through a year full of stressful events (partners 2 surgeries, wedding, travel) I thought I was in the clear and could relax for a few weeks...work has been good about flexible work hours after I have a bad night...then bam!

my manager came to tell me I am being moved from my nice private (though open concept) desk space where I am settled, to a new project in a group-work room where people sit very close together at long tables like a boardroom. (I work in technology) I was up there today and couldn't concentrate on what the project leader was saying to me because there were 3 other conversations going on around us. This is my idea of hell and now I will have to spend 8 hours a day in there for the foreseeable future! I have noise cancelling headphones but any other coping strategies would be great.

I don't want to leave my job but I also don't want my stress to go any higher. I have so much trouble staying calm/sleeping these days even without this. My poor partner is at his wit's end with me I think.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
upload_2017-8-22_19-2-42.png

Hi Cricket and welcome...

Coping mechanisms for that... In my view point would be a tranquilizer dart shot at me.

Can you possibly ask to stay where you were, and maybe tell them that might be too stressful?
Or maybe prove you are more beneficial where you were, and that the noise in there is a problem.
You can do this without revealing too much for now, if it is even an option?

I'm super quiet, but if they were to yank me and toss me out in the mix of employees and customers... I would freak the hell out... But they know that, so they leave me alone. I do a great job and for that, they do leave me alone most the time... until its something really urgent, and then I have to do what I have to do.

I hope you can maybe barter, or ask for your old position back if that made you happy. If not you might have to muster up some courage to tell them if they cant help, you might have to explore some different options...

There are lots of great people here who might have better ideas then me, so don't give up, just hold on and stay calm if you possibly can. Be thinking of people who might be able to also help move you back, that might step up with you... I don't know your specifics so I can only stay general of course. Being calm will always benefit you if at all possible.

Good luck and I bet things will get better, they always do.

Hi Cricket and welcome...

Coping mechanisms for that... In my view point would be a tranquilizer dart shot at me.

Can you possibly ask to stay where you were, and maybe tell them that might be too stressful?
Or maybe prove you are more beneficial where you were, and that the noise in there is a problem.
You can do this without revealing too much for now, if it is even an option?

I'm super quiet, but if they were to yank me and toss me out in the mix of employees and customers... I would freak the hell out... But they know that, so they leave me alone. I do a great job and for that, they do leave me alone most the time... until its something really urgent, and then I have to do what I have to do.

I hope you can maybe barter, or ask for your old position back if that made you happy. If not you might have to muster up some courage to tell them if they cant help, you might have to explore some different options...

There are lots of great people here who might have better ideas then me, so don't give up, just hold on and stay calm if you possibly can. Be thinking of people who might be able to also help move you back, that might step up with you... I don't know your specifics so I can only stay general of course. Being calm will always benefit you if at all possible.

Good luck and I bet things will get better, they always do.

ugh sorry for the blank reply o_O

Thanks for making me welcome guys!

I have conveyed my discomfort with this type of working environment but they are being inflexible on this point. Too bad because it's a good company in other ways. I am going to give it a chance for a month or so and see if I can adapt. (I doubt it can be noisy ALL the time or no one would get anything done.)

If not, then I will tender my resignation. Luckily I have enough saved up I can do this if I have to. But I really don't need the stress of job hunting either. The next place could be worse. Hopefully I will adjust.

Welcome to AC! Many of us can sympathize with your situation. It's good that you have some money saved up. That very thing helped me before when I quit a stressful job without any clue where I would find another one.

New Threads

Top Bottom