• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question regarding Aspergers' and Size

imanerd

V.I.P Member
So I have been wondering this for a while now...well first off, I've already introduced myself on here as a fellow Aspie and a history-buff ----- anyway: I know some other people who also have Aspergers'. Most are tiny, like myself.

Even when one's not tiny in regards to height, people always seem to think we're [I'm?] 15, even though I'm 19.

If I may, this is what I mean (that's my cat and I, I will mention, I'm not taking this from anywhere on the internet, except for my own personal IMGUR account): 6JgXzpE.jpg

Is there any correlation, by chance, does anyone think? I may not know A LOT of people with Aspergers', in proportion to the people I know who do NOT have the *ahem ahem* gift *ahem ahem*, but most I know who DO have it, are quite juvenile-looking, talking outside of behaviors, of which I am definitely also characteristic, as are some of the people I know, who have Aspergers' (just not all of them).

I'm not trying to be repetitive if this is repetitive; sadly I go in circles as I talk, and often, too.

Last edited:
Well, people tell me I look younger then I actually am. Not by a big stretch... people thought I was about 5 years younger easily by appearance... behaviour might give me another 5 years, lol. People have a hard time judging just on appareance and behaviour that I'm in fact 30 years old.

FWIW, I'm 6'2" and have been since I was about 12 years old. I'm 51 now and people think I'm in my 30's. I've always looked much younger than I am.

Well, I'm about 5'11" and... 112lbs at the most. I've always been super skinny, with really long limbs. I follow the growth curve, just waaaay under it. I can still bench over 200lbs, and carry as much; I have no idea how. It's not so much weight, I know, but it's just weird considering my size and relative lack of exercise.

Everyone thinks I'm about 17 or 18. I still get carded for R-rated movies, especially if I shave.

People have often thought I look younger than I am. I remember I was graduating college and I told some people I worked with (they didn't know me that well as I hadn't been there long) that I was graduating. They said "oh high school?" I think people are surprised when I tell them my age, they think probably I look 5 years younger or something. I've also always been the tall thin guy so I always think because I'm thin they think I'm much taller than I am and I'm 6'0''. Its like an optical illusion I think.

I'm 43 and people think I still look in my 30s, although I'm 6ft 2". I'm also much too much overweight and have been since I've been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid gland despite taking medication for it (I used to be thin and uncontrollably started putting on weight when I was diagnosed when I feel I don't even eat that much). My 2 brothers both have full autism and for instance can't count to 10 (yes all 3 of us have an autistic spectrum disorder where I only have aspergers) and they are both quite large too. Daniel (slightly younger than me) is fairly overweight, but not as much as me and is a bit shorter, but he's certainly not small, while David (the youngest in his late 30s) is almost as tall as me and is thinner, but again not small. I don't think there is a definite link with small size to aspergers or autism as I've seen various people with aspergers and full autism as well as my brothers who are all varying sizes and shapes. Whether more of us look younger on average is a bit more debatable, although it's the first time I've ever known this mentioned as a possible link, so it could also be a coincidence from the people you've happened to have known. It's certainly very interesting though, especially with other people commenting similar so I will certainly look out for more evidence of this possibility, thanks for mentioning it.

Last edited:
I'm still very new to all of this but I thought I'd add my relevant two cents... I often get mistaken for 5-6 years younger than my actual age of 22. I'm of "average height", 5'9, though I feel so tiny walking around. Maybe I just notice those only taller than myself. And I weigh roughly 175 give or take 5-10 lbs depending on what I'm eating that week/month haha.

I'm 19 and most people think I'm 16... they're always asking me if I'm still in high school. I'm the tallest girl in my family at 5'5", but I'm a babyface and that makes people think I'm younger than I am. I'm good with it. :)

Funny you ask,
I often get picked for mid 30's to 40. People are shocked to find out I am 47 and am a grandpa. I am also very lean, and I act immature.

I'm another one who always appeared younger than I really was. I don't know about now; it's been a while since I was around someone who didn't already know me.

I was also a 'late bloomer', puberty-wise. I don't know if that's related or not.

Atwood, in his famous text on AS, notes that those on the spectrum often have an "angelic face", or in other words look young.

I definitely don't look my age in my facial features. But being 6'1'' makes up for it.

There is a thread somewhere about "do you look younger than your age" and it seemed like a lot of people answered yes.

I'm 5'5" at 40, some people think I don't look my age, but my take on that is that as long as I look old enough to get served in the Pub when my Parents aren't there. I don't mind, and actually according to various quiz based tests on Facebook I look about 28.

I'm in my mid 30s tall and very big built (for the UK) but most people think I am no older than 24. I have child like features and young looking skin.

New Threads

Top Bottom