• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question About the Term Neurotypical

The word "neurotypical" probably arose FIRST to describe "those who are not on the autism spectrum." I can see, though, how certain mental illnesses fit as non-typical. (And I'm just guessing the history of the word. But we probably all heard it first, "our" way.) I wasn't aware that anyone except us was using the word in this new way. But to us, stretching the word like that is going to sound jarring and a little weird. Even if it's not "wrong," exactly, it will take some getting used to.

If we were writing in French, I suppose we could ask the Académie française in Paris to sternly advise NT's to stop using the word that way! But in English, alas, we have no such option. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge the word "Neurotypical" is not a clinical terminology, nor will you find the word in a DSM. It was created for us to lessen the confusion when we discuss those around us who are on the spectrum, and those who are not.

If you guys are as analytical as I, then it is tempting to conclude, "Anyone with a typically functioning neurological system is by is only definition 'Neurotypical'." The problem with this conclusion is that it leads us back to the original problem of not having a word to describe those without an ASD.

Autism is very different than most other neurological conditions. Someone with ADHD, for example, I consider to be Neurotypical when compared to me. They will never know from experience how the texture of paper causes my hair to stand up. Most of the time if someone tells them a joke or employs sarcasm they will have little trouble picking up on it.

I tend to believe that due to the sheer complexity of the human neurological system and the lack of a perfect specimen to use as a measure of typicality, that very few, if any one person could be really neurotypical.

I like the word neurodivergant as an umbrella term for those displaying a cLassificational DSM disorder.

Lol, besides when did people start wanting to classify health the same way we classify a disorder? Do people with Heart Disease refer to healthy people as Cardiotypical?

I have an online friend who has multiple mental illnesses but as far as I know she is not on the autism spectrum. She was saying she survived a conversation with a neurotypical person. I always associated the term neurotypical with someone not having ASD. Are mentally ill people not neurotypical? What are people who have mental illness but not ASD considered? Is there a term for this? Or do you think she has ASD and just didn't tell me?

Hmm, I would suggest the term chemotypical for people who are not mentally ill but who are also not ASD. That term would not be completely perfect though, since neurobiological conditions of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder have wiring differences, not just neurotransmitter chemical differences. "Neurotypical" is an appropriate term for the common "wiring" blueprint. It is pretty fascinating that neurotypical brains really do follow a same blueprint and ASD brains are highly varied - not just from the NT blueprint, but also among ASD people.

Perhaps she is actually ASD and survived a NT conversation.

Hmmmmm....what's neurotypical really?
Someone who scores an average of 15 on the current ASQ test?
Someone who follows a herd of other people and doesn't do or say anything that might be considered controversial?
As a person who scores 6/7 on that test, I have my own personal doubts about it.
I'm not 'within range' yet apparently I don't have autism. My dad did though.
And I fully appreciate the logical thinking of people who score higher on the ASQ.
I sometimes have temporary episodes of mental illness that make me avoid all peoole. It's caused by a hormone imbalance. My reaction is similar to a shutdown. I just can't face the noise of other people and my brain stops processing even basic information.
This usually corrects itself after a couple of days but it leaves me wondering what on earth 'typical' means.
I think as more research is done, we'll discover more and more about neurodiversity, hormones, personality...all of it.
I just know that I like a quiet life, play along with the neurotypical game when I have the energy to and rest when my brain fails me.

New Threads

Top Bottom