• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Public Speaking and Presentations

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I find public speaking a lot easier than most interactions. Small talk is what drives me nuts, but standing in front of a group who can't really answer back until you're ready for them, I find much easier.
I'm not 100% comfortable with it but it's much easier for me than more intimate situations.
I've done presentations in front of less than 10 people up to a couple of hundred, but I use plenty of hand movements, I'm conscious of voice modulation and I look around the room but without making direct eye contact. It's a strategy that works for me to the extent that I'd rather speak in public than be stuck in a waiting room and having a stranger talk to me.
I agree with this.
There was a group event for several days once where I had to interact with people most of the time (group work and also in the breaks). I wasn't very good at that and rather quiet.
At the end of the week we had to do a presentation. I prepared everything very well, practised that etc., so I got that done rather well.
After the presentation someone came to me saying: "Wow, that was quite good. I hadn't expected that from you. You were so quiet all the time."
Yes, I was quiet because social interacting with groups is hard and exhausting for me, but doing a presentation is far more easy, especially when I'm really into a topic. There's no spontaneous reacting involved; I know what's coming next and what to do next.

I used to be more uncomfortable with presentations, but after I realized that it's easier for me to see it as a monologue for myself it got better.
I'm still nervous, but try to remember that it's basically an easy monologue. It's actually the best for me to ignore the people who are listening and pretend I am talking out loud to myself. That kind of works for me like @OlLiE described:
- the audience: i am not talking with them, i am talking at them, i am not interacting, i am talking to myself about something that interests me and that i know well, it just happens to be standing up in front of some people, look over their heads, don't make eye contact and sweep from left to right and back

I only haven't mastered the appropriate body language/hand movements (yet) apparently.
After a different presentation someone told me that the presentation was good, but that I moved somewhat awkwardly most of the time. I'm not sure what it was exactly; I didn't even realize that I was doing it. I guess I was too focused on the topic of my monologue and tuning out the audience that I didn't remember to adjust my body movements properly.

If you're in a roomful of women, giving a presentation or a speech, just imagine all the women with nothing on (naked), if that doesn't cure your nerves, nothing will.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an autistic thing, I think it's a human thing. Many, many people are uncomfortable with public speaking, to the point of throwing up or having panic attacks.

There are many techniques to work through this, breathing, practice, performing to smaller audiences and working your way up. You need to do some research and find a method that will work for you. There are also courses and clubs like "toastmasters" or acting classes that could help.

And sorry to say but I agree with your university, you need to take the energy that you are expending on trying to weasel out of it with new and creative excuses, and focus that energy into learning communication skills. It's a useful skill.

I don't mind it that much, actually. At least people shut up and listen to me. :) (As long as it's a subject that I know something about.)

Many times I did presentations and felt like I was about die before doing it.

Well actually not real presentations but more like oral exam in front of teacher.

But I also did presentations in front of classes.

Most if the time it went well( thats weird considering i have asd.)

The patern is something like.
I study the topic. Prepare a presentation and repeat it a little.
Want do die the day i do it and feel like iam actually dying the hour before.

Get completly immersed in the topic that I loose sence of time , do the presentation without any paper and manage to say what i have too even if its not exaclty how i prepared it.

Almost forget the moment right after.

But yeah it was easierm presentation i guess.my level if stress and my lack of interest last year made me unable to do 2 presentations in a master degree.

So i guess in my case its all about work preparation and repetition.
Even if i feel like i am dying I stand up because I know this is irrationnal, its not like i jumpikg off a cleaf where my terror has a real reason.

And dont drink too much cofee, sleep well the week prior to it ect...better quality of life reduces your average level of stress.

And good luck because you will have to do it

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I find public speaking a lot easier than most interactions. Small talk is what drives me nuts, but standing in front of a group who can't really answer back until you're ready for them, I find much easier.
I'm not 100% comfortable with it but it's much easier for me than more intimate situations.
I've done presentations in front of less than 10 people up to a couple of hundred, but I use plenty of hand movements, I'm conscious of voice modulation and I look around the room but without making direct eye contact. It's a strategy that works for me to the extent that I'd rather speak in public than be stuck in a waiting room and having a stranger talk to me.

Likewise, I'm far more comfortable giving a presentation in front of a large room full of people than having to be with those same people in a group social setting. Facts and figures are easy to talk about and easy to explain.

New Threads

Top Bottom